• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Eppler in attendance at Troy Tulowitzkis workout...

floplag

I'm just not convinced the Angels can offer Tulo full time work.  Cozart will be playing either 2B or 3B, which means Tulo would be in competition for the other spot with Fletcher, Ward and Rengifo.  I don't see the upside.  

But if he signs with the Angels then it's totes because he's going to be back in his 30 HR form. 

2 hours ago, TroutField said:

This would be the most Angels signing ever 

LOL!

But I still think he is worth taking a look at. I would hate to see it cost Fletcher playing time, but it probably would.

I think Tulo would look at our situation at 3rd and say he doesn't expect to get enough playing time with Zart, Fletch and Ward in the picture. He will find a place where he will get more playing time.

I absolutely do not think he would last, physically, playing 2nd.

Another thing to think about with Tulo, he's getting paid no matter what, I think being on a winning team where he gets solid amount of playing time will be important to him.  That's great and all if the Giants and Padres are interested, but if a team with a shot in 2019 offers him playing time, you gotta think Tulo would be in on that.  Personally, if I had to guess, I'd say Eppler didn't have anything pressing that day, and the workout was on the West Coast, he thought he'd stroll over with Gallego to check in and see how Tulo's doing.  I doubt Eppler just cancelled and put everything aside for the day in order to attend this workout the way he did with Kevin Maitan. 

Eppler and Gallego's presence definitely means the Angels are interested, but they're interested in everyone that can improve them team. 

I think Tulo ends up going to the Padres.  They're a young team in need of veteran leadership.  Kinsler is taking 2B with Urias at SS.  I bet they'd sign Tulo to play 3B in a heartbeat.  IF it works out, they buy more time for Tatis in AAA, and if it doesn't work out, they can shuffle the infield around and promote Tatis. 

As for the Angels, signing Tulo would merely mean he's the starting 3B, and Cozart moves to 2B, Fletcher moves into a utility role, and Ward and Rengifo kick it in AAA until the inevitable injury comes. 

13 minutes ago, HaloNArizona said:

I'd be okay with a Tulo signing for one year to play 3B.....

In 2018 Angels 3Bman:
.220/.278/.369/.648 18 HR/66 RBI

In 2016 Tulo:
.254/.318/.443/.761 - 24/79

In 2017 (66 games)
.249/.300/.378/.678 - 7/26

If he produce close to his 2016 numbers for one year....It would be solid increase at the bottom of the line up.

The other line we need to top is Kinsler's:
.239/.304/.406/.710 - 33 XBH, 32 RBI, 30 BB, 40 K

As far as the bench goes they’d still have room for a 4th OF. Assuming they are carrying 12 pitchers and 12 position players and Ohtani as the DH, the 12 would be Trout, Upton, Calhoun, 4th OF, Bour, Pujols, LaStella/Fletcher, Cozart, Simmons, Tulowitski, C, and Smith.

28 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

My one concern is that he's only averaged 85 games played per season since 2012.   Just how healthy will he be? 

We would have Cozart, Fletcher, Ward, and even Rengifo to back him up at 3B. That is pretty good depth so he makes sense to me as a buy-low, upside option. Just really depends on what the Angels saw during his workout and on the medicals.

5 minutes ago, Hubs said:

As far as the bench goes they’d still have room for a 4th OF. Assuming they are carrying 12 pitchers and 12 position players and Ohtani as the DH, the 12 would be Trout, Upton, Calhoun, 4th OF, Bour, Pujols, LaStella/Fletcher, Cozart, Simmons, Tulowitski, C, and Smith.

@Jeff Fletcher is calling Bourjos as our new 4th OFer.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

The other line we need to top is Kinsler's:
.239/.304/.406/.710 - 33 XBH, 32 RBI, 30 BB, 40 K

It’s not Kinsler’s offensive line that needs to be topped. That wouldn’t be especially difficult. But Kinsler put up gold glove defense last season. You have to top that offensive line by a good margin or put up similar defense to top the value he provided. 

18 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

It’s not Kinsler’s offensive line that needs to be topped. That wouldn’t be especially difficult. But Kinsler put up gold glove defense last season. You have to top that offensive line by a good margin or put up similar defense to top the value he provided. 

I think I that’s the best 2B (and maybe 3B) line we’ve had since Kendrick (and Callaspo?) especially once defense is factored in, so in many ways, it is a little more difficult to top than it should be.

I’d actually like to see Moustakas come back on the radar for 3B, especially if we wind up with Grandal or Cervelli for catcher. The line-up becomes very solid, very quickly. Tulo is intriguing too.

4 hours ago, Second Base said:

Another thing to think about with Tulo, he's getting paid no matter what, I think being on a winning team where he gets solid amount of playing time will be important to him.  That's great and all if the Giants and Padres are interested, but if a team with a shot in 2019 offers him playing time, you gotta think Tulo would be in on that.  Personally, if I had to guess, I'd say Eppler didn't have anything pressing that day, and the workout was on the West Coast, he thought he'd stroll over with Gallego to check in and see how Tulo's doing.  I doubt Eppler just cancelled and put everything aside for the day in order to attend this workout the way he did with Kevin Maitan. 

Eppler and Gallego's presence definitely means the Angels are interested, but they're interested in everyone that can improve them team. 

I think Tulo ends up going to the Padres.  They're a young team in need of veteran leadership.  Kinsler is taking 2B with Urias at SS.  I bet they'd sign Tulo to play 3B in a heartbeat.  IF it works out, they buy more time for Tatis in AAA, and if it doesn't work out, they can shuffle the infield around and promote Tatis. 

As for the Angels, signing Tulo would merely mean he's the starting 3B, and Cozart moves to 2B, Fletcher moves into a utility role, and Ward and Rengifo kick it in AAA until the inevitable injury comes. 

where is LaStella in all this? anyways, Tulo should get nothing more than a minor league deal with an invite to spring training. we just have way to many options.

17 minutes ago, Dick Enberg said:

where is LaStella in all this? anyways, Tulo should get nothing more than a minor league deal with an invite to spring training. we just have way to many options.

The absolute most he will sign for is the major league minimum. And it’s prorated so if he sucks or gets injured the Angels cut him and the Blue Jays pick up the rest of the major league minimum. He gets paid the amount on his Blue Jays deal. He doesn’t get more whether he plays or doesn’t play. Yet if he retires he won’t get any more money in 2021 or 2022 or 2023. Which are free agent seasons.

No team is going to offer any more than the league minimum, because he’s making 19 M per season and if the Yankees or someone paid him 1M say, he doesn’t see any more money. The Jays pay less of the 19. 

There is no incentive then for any major league team to offer him any more or less than the minimum. 

35 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Going to be tough to be Parker because he can’t play CF. 

1 hour ago, Halodays said:

Bourjos couldn't hit his way out of a wet paper bag. I say it will be either Parker, Hermosillo or a player to be signed later.

Hermosillo is too young to sit on the bench and play sporadically.  He will be ticketed for AAA, to play everyday and get regular AB's.

Parker has played very little in CF

I think PB has the edge, as he can play all three OF spots, and a he is a late inning pinch runner.  

We must remember, a fourth OFer is not a starting OFer...you are getting a guy who will play maybe 50 games a year, at the most.  

When it boils down to it....whomever between PB and Parker has a better spring will be the fourth OFer....Herm will be in AAA, and could be a possible trade candidate with Adell and Marsh in the wings.

10 minutes ago, HaloNArizona said:

Hermosillo is too young to sit on the bench and play sporadically.  He will be ticketed for AAA, to play everyday and get regular AB's.

Parker has played very little in CF

I think PB has the edge, as he can play all three OF spots, and a he is a late inning pinch runner.  

We must remember, a fourth OFer is not a starting OFer...you are getting a guy who will play maybe 50 games a year, at the most.  

When it boils down to it....whomever between PB and Parker has a better spring will be the fourth OFer....Herm will be in AAA, and could be a possible trade candidate with Adell and Marsh in the wings.

What gets me is that Bourjos rakes in the minors but can't hit a lick in the majors. That seems to be the case lately for all the players they call up.