• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should the Angels allow Trout...

Torridd

22 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The next time the Lakers call up a future all star or hall of fame player from the Defenders then this will be a relevant comparison.  

It would be like asking LeBron hey should I trade this pick for Kawhi. I think my argument is I would want my superstars to be more involved in their team. I like the player having more power or at least some say. I will give two examples see if you agree or disagree. Mike S. is basically a free agent after this year right? If I was Eppler I would go to Trout  and probably Ohtani and ask them their opinion of how they feel about him etc. and if Eppler wanted to go a different direction express that to both of them, and then say these are the three or four guys we are leaning towards with a replacement and then ask Trout to be in on the conversations with the candidates, see which one he got along with best etc. Taking into consideration the GM has the final say but weighing their opinions strongly. Because we both agree the players mean more to winning than the manager. Second on different players, asking Trout specifically what he thought of player A or player B and what if Trout for a random example hated Bryce Harper didn't want him on  his team etc right? And Eppler told Trout hey this is a guy we are strongly looking to sign what are your thoughts. Well if Trout goes I can't stand the guy, he's the worst, everything I have heard about him is he's an awful teammate, if you sign Harper I wont be signing an extension. Not that I think Trout would say any of that, because I don't think he would at all. But what if that was his reaction? Don't you think the GM should consult with the best player on his team? Sorry for the long ramble on.

16 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

It would be like asking LeBron hey should I trade this pick for Kawhi. I think my argument is I would want my superstars to be more involved in their team. I like the player having more power or at least some say. I will give two examples see if you agree or disagree. Mike S. is basically a free agent after this year right? If I was Eppler I would go to Trout  and probably Ohtani and ask them their opinion of how they feel about him etc. and if Eppler wanted to go a different direction express that to both of them, and then say these are the three or four guys we are leaning towards with a replacement and then ask Trout to be in on the conversations with the candidates, see which one he got along with best etc. Taking into consideration the GM has the final say but weighing their opinions strongly. Because we both agree the players mean more to winning than the manager. Second on different players, asking Trout specifically what he thought of player A or player B and what if Trout for a random example hated Bryce Harper didn't want him on  his team etc right? And Eppler told Trout hey this is a guy we are strongly looking to sign what are your thoughts. Well if Trout goes I can't stand the guy, he's the worst, everything I have heard about him is he's an awful teammate, if you sign Harper I wont be signing an extension. Not that I think Trout would say any of that, because I don't think he would at all. But what if that was his reaction? Don't you think the GM should consult with the best player on his team? Sorry for the long ramble on.

I absolutely see your point.  I have no problem giving him input, especially with the manager.  

They do ask trout his thoughts on guys. And pujols. Upton, kole, etc etc.

The OP is likely asking how serious the talks are. I dont know that they have 50/50 weight or what. But the players are absolutely asked what they think about guys they are looking at. 

That being said, a lot of stuff the FO and coaching staff dont ask about everyone...if say they ask a guy if they think player X would be a good fit, whoever plays his position here already knows hes at least possibly on the block. You can create some headaches that way.

18 hours ago, Kevinb said:

It’s not a logic fail. Do you think what is going on with the NBA is bad? The counter point to that is the players have zero say and zero control of what’s going on is that what you would want? 

If those were my choices, I'd go with the player having no say. Like someone mentioned with the Machado example, Trout is not a GM and will probably have as much a take on someone as a regular fan. I'm not surprised that so many said he should have input, but I'm leery on giving that option to a player no matter what since we're not sure where it would lead. 

Just now, Torridd said:

If those were my choices, I'd go with the player having no say. Like someone mentioned with the Machado example, Trout is not a GM and will probably have as much a take on someone as a regular fan. I'm not surprised that so many said he should have input, but I'm leery on giving that option to a player no matter what since we're not sure where it would lead. 

But like I said in my examples what if say the Angels really want to pursue him and he can't stand him. I am not saying giving him the ultimate say just that I would like the star players to have input.

17 hours ago, Kevinb said:

I don't know, Kevin. I don't like going "past the line" in my opinion of asking a player what he personally thinks of a player. A team is similar to any other workplace. You like some people and you don't like others, but you try to get along for the wellbeing of the organization. Also, I don't know how I would feel if I'm asked my opinion but the GM told me he would have the last say. I may think, "So why did you ask me?" And I disagree with even a player like LeBron basically playing GM. I don't like the power struggle that may occur. 

6 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

But like I said in my examples what if say the Angels really want to pursue him and he can't stand him. I am not saying giving him the ultimate say just that I would like the star players to have input.

I see what you're saying, Kevin, but let's say the GM really wants this player who's hated. It puts him in a bad position. The player's job is to do what he does on the field, the GM's is to make sure he gets the right talent and the manager has to make sure all the talent meshes.I think it causes problems when those the players' jobs coincide with management's.

1 hour ago, Torridd said:

I see what you're saying, Kevin, but let's say the GM really wants this player who's hated. It puts him in a bad position. The player's job is to do what he does on the field, the GM's is to make sure he gets the right talent and the manager has to make sure all the talent meshes.I think it causes problems when those the players' jobs coincide with management's.

I hear what your saying, but imagine being a manager right of an office and you really want to hire another salesman. But your top salesman in the company has worked with the guy your about to hire and he says listen I've worked with him dudes a complete jackass and can't stand him I don't want to work with him, if you hire him the rest of the guys here are not gonna be happy and I probably am going to bounce. Do you still hire the salesman or do you think you keep looking. 

1 hour ago, Kevinb said:

I hear what your saying, but imagine being a manager right of an office and you really want to hire another salesman. But your top salesman in the company has worked with the guy your about to hire and he says listen I've worked with him dudes a complete jackass and can't stand him I don't want to work with him, if you hire him the rest of the guys here are not gonna be happy and I probably am going to bounce. Do you still hire the salesman or do you think you keep looking. 

Do you believe you’re taking this to far

4 hours ago, Kevinb said:

Salesmen compete against each other on the same team.   Players compete with each other against other teams.