• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Depth Chart 2019-23

Alright, I've been dabbling with this over the last few days, trying to get a sense of the future of the team, complete with minor league options. These charts are by no means authorative - just my first stab at it. Feel free to comment and I'm happy to make adjustments if you convince me. 

The categorizations are, of course, subjective, although the major league players far less so than the prospects.  I included only those prospects who I believe have a better than average chance of becoming at least major league role players (bench/platoon), and/or could be considered "Grade C" or higher. You might take issue with some exclusions (e.g. Torii Hunter Jr, Brennan Lund types), but in some cases I didn't want to over-complicate things and just included the best prospect at a position per level.

I tried to make this visually intuitive, so that darker areas can be understood that the team is all set and doesn't need to make changes. So we look at the lighter areas for ways to improve the team. Then you cross-reference with the prospects, to see what is coming up through the farm. Hopefully it is obvious that the players are listed by years of club control. 

Some comments.

Looking at this chart, I'd say the biggest long-term issues are:

Catcher: The Angels have nothing more than role players on the major league roster (Briceno and Ancia) and only one decent prospect in the pipeline in Jack Kruger, who is no more than a Grade C/C+ type and probably a couple years away. 

Starting Pitching: A couple things stand out. One, there is no true ace - unless Ohtani is both healthy and develops to his full potential, but right now I cannot categorize him as such. Two, while the Angels have four average-to-good starters in Ohtani, Skaggs, Heaney, and Barria, after that it becomes rather mediocre...some potential, but no one has emerged yet. Three, while there are some solid prospects, there aren't any truly elite pitching prospects in the organization.

There are other weak spots, but every other position either has a current good or better starter or someone on the near horizon. So we've got some nice depth here.

Angels Depth Chart v1.JPG

Angels Depth Chart Key.JPG

Quick note on Ohtani. He's very hard to categorize. I ended up changing him from a Star to Good Player for DH because, for one, his production this year has been as a Good Player and two, he's part-time so the DH spot is really him and whomever he's platooning with. 

That said, obviously there's Star potential there. If he ends up DHing full-time next year, he could be bumped up.

I'm even more skeptical of the starting pitching than you are, AJ.  I think it's too early to tell on Barria.  He's obviously still super young and has plenty of time to develop, but it seems like his performance this year has been a little bit of smoke-and-mirrors.  I think Shoemaker and Meyer are massive question marks who can't be relied on in any way to be a) healthy, or b) consistently productive when they ARE healthy.   I think Tropeano is pretty much garbage at this point, and Heaney can go from great to below average from start to start. 

3 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Kudos man, this is very nicely done.

I think it's pretty much 100% we are acquiring a catcher in the offseason.  My preference is for Grandal, as he's a FA and the "only" thing he'll cost is money.  He brings LH power and patience, and in truth, is a pretty decent middle-of-the-lineup hitter.  He should be our #1 target beyond all else.

Personally, I'd love to explore a trade for Cozart in the offseason, perhaps to a team in need of a SS.  I like Fletcher at 2B, but he doesn't really hit enough to be a 3B.  I'd give Ward a shot at 3B and see how he pans out.

2019 Lineup:  Calhoun RF, Trout CF, Upton LF, Grandal C, Pujols 1B, Ohtani DH, Simmons SS, Ward 3B, Fletcher 2B

Or something along those lines.

Rotation:  Ohtani (hopefully), Skaggs, Heaney, Barria, Tropeano, maybe Shoemaker.  Canning/Suarez/Pena will be in AAA as depth.  I think Ramirez and Bridwell are gone after this year.

3 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Alright, I've been dabbling with this over the last few days, trying to get a sense of the future of the team, complete with minor league options. These charts are by no means authorative - just my first stab at it. Feel free to comment and I'm happy to make adjustments if you convince me. 

The categorizations are, of course, subjective, although the major league players far less so than the prospects.  I included only those prospects who I believe have a better than average chance of becoming at least major league role players (bench/platoon), and/or could be considered "Grade C" or higher. You might take issue with some exclusions (e.g. Torii Hunter Jr, Brennan Lund types), but in some cases I didn't want to over-complicate things and just included the best prospect at a position per level.

I tried to make this visually intuitive, so that darker areas can be understood that the team is all set and doesn't need to make changes. So we look at the lighter areas for ways to improve the team. Then you cross-reference with the prospects, to see what is coming up through the farm. Hopefully it is obvious that the players are listed by years of club control. 

Some comments.

Looking at this chart, I'd say the biggest long-term issues are:

Catcher: The Angels have nothing more than role players on the major league roster (Briceno and Ancia) and only one decent prospect in the pipeline in Jack Kruger, who is no more than a Grade C/C+ type and probably a couple years away. 

Starting Pitching: A couple things stand out. One, there is no true ace - unless Ohtani is both healthy and develops to his full potential, but right now I cannot categorize him as such. Two, while the Angels have four average-to-good starters in Ohtani, Skaggs, Heaney, and Barria, after that it becomes rather mediocre...some potential, but no one has emerged yet. Three, while there are some solid prospects, there aren't any truly elite pitching prospects in the organization.

There are other weak spots, but every other position either has a current good or better starter or someone on the near horizon. So we've got some nice depth here.

Really nice AJ I started doing something similar but this is nice and colorful! Well done!

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

I think it's pretty much 100% we are acquiring a catcher in the offseason.  My preference is for Grandal, as he's a FA and the "only" thing he'll cost is money.  He brings LH power and patience, and in truth, is a pretty decent middle-of-the-lineup hitter.  He should be our #1 target beyond all else.

Personally, I'd love to explore a trade for Cozart in the offseason, perhaps to a team in need of a SS.  I like Fletcher at 2B, but he doesn't really hit enough to be a 3B.  I'd give Ward a shot at 3B and see how he pans out.

2019 Lineup:  Calhoun RF, Trout CF, Upton LF, Grandal C, Pujols 1B, Ohtani DH, Simmons SS, Ward 3B, Fletcher 2B

Rotation:  Ohtani (hopefully), Skaggs, Heaney, Barria, Tropeano, maybe Shoemaker.  Canning/Suarez/Pena will be in AAA as depth.  I think Ramirez and Bridwell are gone after this year.

+ Meyer (hopefully)

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

This all sounds about right to me. I agree on most of what you said, but am expecting Eppler goes the budget route at C. Who knows though, I do hope for Grandal.

I also agree on Fletcher and Ward, although prefer Rengifo long-term at 2B and like the idea of Fletcher as super sub. He's a really useful player to have and I'm sure Scioscia and Eppler love him.  I want to see Rengifo and his potentially future .370+ OBP at leadoff.

3 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'm even more skeptical of the starting pitching than you are, AJ.  I think it's too early to tell on Barria.  He's obviously still super young and has plenty of time to develop, but it seems like his performance this year has been a little bit of smoke-and-mirrors.  I think Shoemaker and Meyer are massive question marks who can't be relied on in any way to be a) healthy, or b) consistently productive when they ARE healthy.   I think Tropeano is pretty much garbage at this point, and Heaney can go from great to below average from start to start. 

I pretty much agree on Barria, but still color code him as a #3-4 because while I think he has #4-5 stuff, he's bumped up a bit for grit and pitchability. He might take a step back next year and then two steps forward in 2020. I agree on Shoe, Meyer, and Trope, but don't think Trope is as much "garbage" as he is a solid guy to have to sub in when needed. I hope Meyer is converted to a reliever, with strong closer potential. And yeah, Heaney is somewhat erratic, which is why I have him as a #3-4 rather than the #2 he sometimes looks like.