• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should Luke Heimlich be Signed by an Organization?

m0nkey

3 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

No one knew about his past until a year or so ago. This conviction came to the public's attention in 2017 due to a clerical error where the Oregon State Police believed he had failed to update his registration as a sex offender.

nothing I've read says it was due to a clerical error, but rather, that he failed to update his sex offender registration, which is an annual requirement. When that occurred, the Oregon State Police informed OSU, which they are required to do. 

he's a convicted child molester. he gets absolutely no sympathy from me. 

21 minutes ago, totdprods said:

He may as well go to Japan or Korea or the Indy leagues and toil there for a few seasons. I'm sure the Rangers would have no problem signing him then.

do you think things will be easier for him in an Indy league?

can you imagine the reception an American child molester would get in an Asian country? I highly doubt they would even let him in the country. 

1 hour ago, Lou said:

do you think things will be easier for him in an Indy league?

can you imagine the reception an American child molester would get in an Asian country? I highly doubt they would even let him in the country. 

I don't care if it's easy for him. It shouldn't be easy. I just imagine that if he were to pitch for an MLB org someday, it'd be after he went through some success and 'trials' of plugging away in some distant land or obscure league and emerged a la Matt Bush, getting offered a deal ~10 years from now, with some team (cough the Rangers cough) preaching some redemptive born-again message about second chances. 

It'd be foolish for a team to take a chance now. May as well throw that money into other opportunities - paying overslot for a draft pick, amateur FA's, minor league deals...probably just as likely to find success there without all the baggage.

I just read the SI story. The most interesting thing to me was an expert they quoted saying that it’s very common for people to plead guilty to these things if they are innocent because they believe it is easier than going through a public trial.

In his case, I believe he thought pleading guilty would avoid making the little girl testify and after 5 years the whole thing would be wiped off his record. 

I have no idea if he’s guilty or not. 

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/05/16/luke-heimlich-oregon-state

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

I find it difficult to believe a 6-year old girl would go to her parents and make up a detailed story like this about her uncle, who seemingly was an ordinary guy. His brother even thinks he's guilty.

He plead guilty. Like any other convicted criminal, he has to live with the consequences for the rest of his life.

Question for anyone: would you let him babysit your young daughter?

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

I don't care if it's easy for him. It shouldn't be easy. I just imagine that if he were to pitch for an MLB org someday, it'd be after he went through some success and 'trials' of plugging away in some distant land or obscure league and emerged a la Matt Bush, getting offered a deal ~10 years from now, with some team (cough the Rangers cough) preaching some redemptive born-again message about second chances. 

It'd be foolish for a team to take a chance now. May as well throw that money into other opportunities - paying overslot for a draft pick, amateur FA's, minor league deals...probably just as likely to find success there without all the baggage.

so an Indy team would be ok with it but a mlb organizations wouldn't? they would receive just as much backlash. would you sign him if you owned an Indy league team? what if there's a player on your team that has had someone close to him experience this horror that you don't know about? 

and please don't compare a child molester with a drug addict. even prison inmates consider child molesters the scum of the earth. 

6 hours ago, Lou said:

nothing I've read says it was due to a clerical error, but rather, that he failed to update his sex offender registration, which is an annual requirement. When that occurred, the Oregon State Police informed OSU, which they are required to do. 

he's a convicted child molester. he gets absolutely no sympathy from me. 

Cut and pasted from Wikipedia

Edited by Ace-Of-Diamonds

from the Oregonian , June 2017:

"As a teenager, Heimlich pleaded guilty to a single charge of sexually molesting a 6-year-old female family member. Heimlich registered as a sex offender in Benton County after arriving at Oregon State. When he was cited in April for missing an annual update, it put the case in Oregon court records for the first time"

Doesn't sound like a clerical error to me. 

https://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2017/06/luke_heimlich_sex_crime_surfac.html

19 hours ago, artesmustache said:

Horseshit. No lawyer or parent tells him to sign the document he signed if he was innocent. Furthermore, if you're 15 and sign that document knowing you didn't do what it said, you're a moron.

That is dumb.  Plenty of people confess, plead guilty or no contest when they are innocent.  Sometimes it is the best option if you don't have money.