• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pitching coach

I think Eppler is going to make a move for a rental vet reliever for some spare prospect change, someone like a Clippard, Chavez, Soria, and land a relatively under-the-radar (yet successful) young MLB reliever under control, like a Tepera or Streckenrider. 

Still think adding a controllable MLB SP (or two cheap vet SPs lie Fiers and Lirano) will be in the cards too. Something to stack the pitching depth. Shift guys like Felix Pena, Lamb, and Trop into potential bullpen options instead of the rotation.

Our depth is so thin right now.

We have a lot of guys that throw straight fastballs.  For those of you with a pitching back ground or played at a high level is it difficult to throw a cut fastball?  I thought it was a matter of putting more pressure on one finger when throwing the ball or throwing it with a finger on the side of a seam.  Obviously this could cause blisters or a strain I guess.  The other thing one of these dudes who throws 96 could do is throw some fastballs in to back guys off the plate and make them less comfortable up there.  

6 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

We have a lot of guys that throw straight fastballs.  For those of you with a pitching back ground or played at a high level is it difficult to throw a cut fastball?  I thought it was a matter of putting more pressure on one finger when throwing the ball or throwing it with a finger on the side of a seam.  Obviously this could cause blisters or a strain I guess.  The other thing one of these dudes who throws 96 could do is throw some fastballs in to back guys off the plate and make them less comfortable up there.  

It seems like last year we saw a lot of our bullpen success come from guys who relied on fastball variations rather than the standard 4-seam. Norris and his cutter, Parker and his splitter, etc. I wonder if they're just not having much luck getting that gameplan to translate with this year's crop. Either their data is working or the coaching isn't getting through.

43 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

Its not that hard and it just takes a little getting used to throwing a cut fastball. If I remember correctly (and I’m old), your fingers are closer together and a little to the right of where they would be for a 4 seamer and I like my thumb on the bottom of the ball but I have big hands/long fingers.

The seams rub a little differently on the release, but you get used to it.

2 hours ago, Dick B Back said:

Its not that hard and it just takes a little getting used to throwing a cut fastball. If I remember correctly (and I’m old), your fingers are closer together and a little to the right of where they would be for a 4 seamer and I like my thumb on the bottom of the ball but I have big hands/long fingers.

The seams rub a little differently on the release, but you get used to it.

Its all about finger pressure and is extremely easy to pick up. I preferred to hold mine with my middle finger wrapped firmly on the ball going with the seams on the inner half while the index finger was close to it however the tip of the finger doesn't touch the ball. You can throw it with the same velocity and arm slot and it would cut and drop just enough to miss the bat.

4 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Its all about finger pressure and is extremely easy to pick up. I preferred to hold mine with my middle finger wrapped firmly on the ball going with the seams on the inner half while the index finger was close to it however the tip of the finger doesn't touch the ball. You can throw it with the same velocity and arm slot and it would cut and drop just enough to miss the bat.

Yep, sorry you are correct, I forgot about the middle finger pressure.

21 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Oh God no! Do not let any of the Angels pitchers get near a razor blade. @Angel Oracle you want to fill them in on the details?

I know that I should remember this one.    Somehow, I'm not, getting old I guess. 

Edit:  Just saw an old news item, where in 1997, Halos starter Allen Watson cut his wrist while trying to open a bottle of beer.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/662721-the-50-dumbest-injuries-in-sports-history