• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

And in Fast Food News Part 2

• 3 weeks later...

I just heard they recently opened a new Zankou Chicken in HB, near Beach Bl. and Main.

Damn! All the years I lived there but rarely got Zankou because I had to drive to Anaheim to get it.

Well next time I visit O.C. that will be one of my first stops.

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

I just heard they recently opened a new Zankou Chicken in HB, near Beach Bl. and Main.

Damn! All the years I lived there but rarely got Zankou because I had to drive to Anaheim to get it.

Well next time I visit O.C. that will be one of my first stops.

Been 3-4 times now. It’s a bit more expensive than pita grill and athens west but definitely worth it and they don’t cheap out on the pita or sauces. 

I've had them all and Zankou is the best.

I used to live close by to Pita Grill, in CM.

When it opened I was hopeful that it would be a good substitute for Zankou. Just like every time some pita place opens, I'm hopeful.

It's just not Zankou.

16 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Maybe it's because I'm in Glendale but Zankou just doesn't cut it for me.

i went into that store once after it first opened to see what was on the menu. nope. haven't been back in over 20 years, yet i live less than a mile away from it.

2 minutes ago, Tank said:

i went into that store once after it first opened to see what was on the menu. nope. haven't been back in over 20 years, yet i live less than a mile away from it.

The hole in the wall place behind my building is far better, as is the place across the street, and also the place next door... I still almost exclusively get tacos when Im around Anaheim / Santa Ana though.

19 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Maybe it's because I'm in Glendale but Zankou just doesn't cut it for me.

That's probably it. If you live outside of little Armenia the quality of middle eastern food drops off the map quickly. You need only to go to a Daphnes to understand why Zankou is so highly regarded for those that are used to mini mall level food. 

3 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

The hole in the wall place behind my building is far better, as is the place across the street, and also the place next door... I still almost exclusively get tacos when Im around Anaheim / Santa Ana though.

you ever go to the baklava factory behind it? a ton of options there, and most are pretty good.

There used to be a Thai Original BBQ on Orangethorpe in Fullerton that served the best Satay beef of any of the Thai restaurants we've been to. They were there for over 30 years but were forced out by the building owner that wanted to renovate the little strip of stores.

Friday we went to the Ranch 99 Market in Chino to pick up some items for my birthday dinner (decided to make several different types of egg rolls) and across the parking lot was a Thai Original BBQ sign. We've been to a couple others but they were never the same quality but I decided to take a shot and ordered the Satay and a Chicken Ruby for my wife. Talked to the cashier and it turns out these are the same owners and the Satay was perfect. I'm going to making the to go order run quite a lot in the coming months while we wait for everything to normalize. 

Just now, AngelsLakersFan said:

I hadn't actually noticed it. I usually only head over that way for the Azteca taco place just up Verdugo a bit, which is the only good burrito I've had since moving over here.

yeah, that's a pretty taco place. the burritos are massive.

you should go to the baklava factory.

5 minutes ago, Blarg said:

There used to be a Thai Original BBQ on Orangethorpe in Fullerton that served the best Satay beef of any of the Thai restaurants we've been to. They were there for over 30 years but were forced out by the building owner that wanted to renovate the little strip of stores.

Friday we went to the Ranch 99 Market in Chino to pick up some items for my birthday dinner (decided to make several different types of egg rolls) and across the parking lot was a Thai Original BBQ sign. We've been to a couple others but they were never the same quality but I decided to take a shot and ordered the Satay and a Chicken Ruby for my wife. Talked to the cashier and it turns out these are the same owners and the Satay was perfect. I'm going to making the to go order run quite a lot in the coming months while we wait for everything to normalize. 

Wow, 30 years eh! I have a memory of that restaurant being a BBQ place (or something like that) before. I must've been about 4 years old but I remember being seated with my parents and having our order taken and then the food just never coming out. Right after that the place closed and turned into the Thai place and I must've held that experience against them because I never once went in there.

It's a super cool car wash now. 

11 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Wow, 30 years eh! I have a memory of that restaurant being a BBQ place (or something like that) before. I must've been about 4 years old but I remember being seated with my parents and having our order taken and then the food just never coming out. Right after that the place closed and turned into the Thai place and I must've held that experience against them because I never once went in there.

It's a super cool car wash now. 

Maybe you are thinking of across the street that was  Tony Romas. This was a small strip next door to a Jack in the Box.

14 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Maybe you are thinking of across the street that was  Tony Romas. This was a small strip next door to a Jack in the Box.

No, I know exactly what you are talking about. It's possible that the BBQ place was next to the Thai place, but it was definitely the same exact building that is now no longer there.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Thai basil on orangethorpe and state college?

38 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

No, I know exactly what you are talking about. It's possible that the BBQ place was next to the Thai place, but it was definitely the same exact building that is now no longer there.

You could be right. That part of Fullerton was under developed for years. Back in the late 70's they were talking about putting in an indoor mall that would have required Harbor blvd to go underground and encompassing both sides of Orangethorpe. Brea Mall had just opened and the Orangefair Mall was dying, the Montgomery Wards was going out of business and the other storefronts were dated and outdoor malls weren't in fashion. I remember the price tag was going to be around $20 million and the city balked on the idea because of costs. 

I grew up in Sunny Hills, my wife was on the other side of Brookhurst and Orangethorpe. Her parents lived in Fullerton and we would meet at Thai BBQ for dinner when we had kids. Usually Thai is shared dishes but I remember her father always ordered Dearest Crab, which was two baseball sized crab cakes and her mother would order a combination chow mein and eat the entire dish by herself. 

7 minutes ago, JAHV76 said:

Thai basil on orangethorpe and state college?

No, this was on Orangethorpe between Harbor and Lemon.

6 minutes ago, Lou said:

You guys have ruined this thread. 

adam sandler shut up GIF by Saturday Night Live

7 minutes ago, Blarg said:

You could be right. That part of Fullerton was under developed for years. Back in the late 70's they were talking about putting in an indoor mall that would have required Harbor blvd to go underground and encompassing both sides of Orangethorpe. Brea Mall had just opened and the Orangefair Mall was dying, the Montgomery Wards was going out of business and the other storefronts were dated and outdoor malls weren't in fashion. I remember the price tag was going to be around $20 million and the city balked on the idea because of costs. 

My memory has to be from around '88-'89 since I don't remember much before that. Also I'm pretty sure than Montgomery Ward went out of business in like '98-'99.