• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sir Didi "The Slumper"

His slump is approaching historic territory. That's what a curtain call at the Big A will get you.

from ESPN: After striking out in the seventh inning Friday night, Yankees shortstop Didi Gregorius — the American League's Player of the Month for April — is now 1-for-his-last-45. On April 25, Sir Didi was batting .372. He's now hitting .248.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23531836/sir-didi-disappearing-act-gregorius-slump-stumps-yankees

10 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

His slump is approaching historic territory. That's what a curtain call at the Big A will get you.

from ESPN: After striking out in the seventh inning Friday night, Yankees shortstop Didi Gregorius — the American League's Player of the Month for April — is now 1-for-his-last-45. On April 25, Sir Didi was batting .372. He's now hitting .248.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23531836/sir-didi-disappearing-act-gregorius-slump-stumps-yankees

Through 162 games, everything evens out.

Didi is a good ballplayer but was no doubt playing way over his head. Sliding back down to his career norms. But damn, 1 for 45 slump, that is pretty tough. Speaking of slump Trout's been in a slump and Goldschmidt is having a bad year, which tells you that baseball is a tough game. You can go from being a great player for like 5-6 seasons and have one year where you're like horrible with the bat and don't know why. The game of baseball humbles you.

1 minute ago, fan_since79 said:

Didi's slump may have some legs, so to speak. That's why I started the thread. It might be fun to keep track. He looks really lost at the moment.

Of course, now that I did that, watch him hit two HR's tonight.

Speaking of jinxes, I've noticed that Trout started to slump the day after I made the Trout's 2018 May OPS.

49 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

Speaking of jinxes, I've noticed that Trout started to slump the day after I made the Trout's 2018 May OPS.

You know, for people that have such control over external events, how come we can't jinx Albert out of the cleanup spot? He's always there, like the sunrise in the East.

One of life's many mysteries.

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

But I thought he was one of the front runners for MVP?

found these gems on a couple of baseball discussion boards:

Willie Mays, 0-24 in 1965, the year he won the NL MVP

Reggie Jackson, 0-35 in 1983. The entire season he was 77-397, a .194 BA.

Roy Campanella, .207 BA in 1954. The year before and the the year after, he was NL MVP.

Robin Ventura had two career streaks of 0-39 or longer.

Cal Ripken, 0-33 in 2001

Luis Aparicio, 0-44 in 1971. He broke out of it with a grand slam.

There are others too numerous to recount.

Edited by fan_since79

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

Trout bashers?

Also Kole has a 12 OPS+ through a quarter of the season. Twelve. To "even things out" he has to hit better than he ever has the rest of the way.

Yeah, those here that complain when he doesnt do everything all the time. 

No, I dont think Calhoun will even the ledger so to speak, but i think he can certainly play to his norms more.  There is simply no way he got this bad this fast unless he has something physically wrong. 

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

Yeah, those here that complain when he doesnt do everything all the time. 

You mean the guys who joke around and try to "whammy" a slump?

I don't think there's a single person here who seriously expects Trout to do everything all the time. 

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

found these gems on a couple of baseball discussion boards:

Willie Mays, 0-24 in 1965, the year he won the NL MVP

Reggie Jackson, 0-35 in 1983. The entire season he was 77-397, a .194 BA.

Roy Campanella, .207 BA in 1954. The year before and the the year after, he was NL MVP.

Robin Ventura had two career streaks of 0-39 or longer.

Cal Ripken, 0-33 in 2001

Luis Aparicio, 0-44 in 1971. He broke out of it with a grand slam.

There are others too numerous to recount.

Yes, but in future years Didi Gregorious won't be mentioned in context with those players.  In fact, he may not be mentioned at all.

2 hours ago, OHTANILAND said:

It humors me that Didi’s slump is even a topic of discussion here when we are chasing the Mariners. 

Because we are adults and aren't limited to thinking about one topic at a time.