• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rotation

Let's take a moment to recognize how awesome our SP has been this month so far.  They're currently ranked #3 in WAR for the month of May in all of baseball.  Even though we're down a few guys (Shoemaker, Ramirez, Bridwell), we have our key ones healthy and productive - Ohtani, Richards, Skaggs, Heaney, Tropeano, Barria.  In addition, we have both Canning and Suarez looking fantastic in AA, and Castillo looking more than serviceable down there, too.

A weakness for pretty much all of last year, our SP is now suddenly one of our greatest strengths.  Would still be great to have an elite top of the rotation starter to accompany Ohtani, but that said, we're looking great overall I'd say.

14 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Here is the cumulative work over the past 14 games (every game pitching at least into the 6th inning, no more than 3 runs in any game, averaging barely over 6 innings).

84.2 innings, ERA barely under 2.25, WHIP barely over 1.00, 84/23 Ks/BBs ratio  

Here's a link to Fangraphs, with the rotation WAR highlighted for the month of May:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=sta&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2018&month=5&season1=2018&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

Trailing only the Astros and Nationals, not bad!

3 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Let's take a moment to recognize how awesome our SP has been this month so far.  They're currently ranked #3 in WAR for the month of May in all of baseball.  Even though we're down a few guys (Shoemaker, Ramirez, Bridwell), we have our key ones healthy and productive - Ohtani, Richards, Skaggs, Heaney, Tropeano, Barria.  In addition, we have both Canning and Suarez looking fantastic in AA, and Castillo looking more than serviceable down there, too.

A weakness for pretty much all of last year, our SP is now suddenly one of our greatest strengths.  Would still be great to have an elite top of the rotation starter to accompany Ohtani, but that said, we're looking great overall I'd say.

Don't forget John Lamb, once a top prospect in the KC Royals org who has a sparkling 2.81 ERA, 0.91 WHIP and has fanned 38 in 32 innings. Walked just 6 batters and has a solid .198 BAA. 

I can see him getting the call to be our long guy out of the pen, in addition to facing lefthanders like Alvarez. 

Lefthanded batters are hitting just .136 against the 27-year old southpaw. 

Since we have tremendous depth on starting pitchers, if Richards continues to shit the bed in the 5th and 6th innings after throwing a solid 4-5 frames prior to, we may want to look at him being our closer. 

His fastball, slider combo would play very well as a late inning reliever IMO. 

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

Since we have tremendous depth on starting pitchers, if Richards continues to shit the bed in the 5th and 6th innings after throwing a solid 4-5 frames prior to, we may want to look at him being our closer. 

Would he suddenly be able to throw strikes in the 9th inning?

9 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Don't forget John Lamb, once a top prospect in the KC Royals org who has a sparkling 2.81 ERA, 0.91 WHIP and has fanned 38 in 32 innings. Walked just 6 batters and has a solid .198 BAA. 

I can see him getting the call to be our long guy out of the pen, in addition to facing lefthanders like Alvarez. 

Excellent point, thanks for reminding me.  His results have been fantastic in the hitter friendly confines of the PCL.

I like Lamb as rotation depth for now, but as the season progresses, I can see him possibly being transitioned to a lefty reliever if our need for a second lefty reliever still exists.

6 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Nice idea, has the stuff, but Richards has nasty control issues at times. what is it, 9 wild pitches so far this year? Plus I don't think he has the mental make up...he obviously gets rattled at times.

8 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I disagree. He is too good not to be kept in the rotation. He might not be performing to expectations, but he is still good (and can be great in any given start).

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I thought the same thing about Richards, but he did struggle as a reliever in years past.  If Anderson doesn't work out, it wouldn't hurt to try Richards in the pen again IMO.

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Perfect idea, if he only has to pitch 1 inning he's out of the game before he starts to meltdown.

On 5/15/2018 at 1:37 PM, Chuckster70 said:

Time is long past due for that.  Unless he is next in the depth chart for starting pitchers we need to give him a try help our bullpen problems.

On 5/15/2018 at 1:49 PM, wopphil said:

I disagree. He is too good not to be kept in the rotation. He might not be performing to expectations, but he is still good (and can be great in any given start).

And we’re only half way through May.  Let’s at least let Richards stretched out before we decide he shouldn’t be a starter.  He hasn’t really pitched in a long time.  It took him a while to piece it together before the injuries.  He’s getting it figured out again. 

On 5/15/2018 at 1:37 PM, Chuckster70 said:

John Lamb should be up right now.  Not the garbage bin Eduardo Parades.

23 minutes ago, Billy_Ball said:

I wonder if we'll see Griffin Canning this season.  Mr. "Start a no-hitter."

He could be epic pitching an inning 6-8 times in September.   They would need to be scripted, so that he doesn't constantly warm up in the pen throughout September, in order to conserve pitches thrown on the mound and in the pen.