• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rotation

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

He could be epic pitching an inning 6-8 times in September.   They would need to be scripted, so that he doesn't constantly warm up in the pen throughout September, in order to conserve pitches thrown on the mound and in the pen. 

There's a possibility becomes one of our set-up men in September/October.  They will have to manage his innings carefully to enable this, but I'm guessing the goal for him this year will be 120-130 IP total.  He's basically capping out around 75-80 pitches in his starts right now too, which helps further this.  Suarez could serve in this fashion too, giving us a second lefty.

Our bullpen definitely needs help, but help could come in the form of some of our minor league starters being called up later as relievers.  This does not help us now obviously, but at least it's a potential option later in the year.

18 hours ago, Warfarin said:

There's a possibility becomes one of our set-up men in September/October.  They will have to manage his innings carefully to enable this, but I'm guessing the goal for him this year will be 120-130 IP total.  He's basically capping out around 75-80 pitches in his starts right now too, which helps further this.  Suarez could serve in this fashion too, giving us a second lefty.

Our bullpen definitely needs help, but help could come in the form of some of our minor league starters being called up later as relievers.  This does not help us now obviously, but at least it's a potential option later in the year.

He pitched 119 innings for UCLA in 2017.   He could even conceivably pitch as much as 140-145 innings in 2018, and then about 170-175 innings in 2019, before finally reaching 190-200 innings in 2020.  

20 hours ago, Billy_Ball said:

I wonder if we'll see Griffin Canning this season.  Mr. "Start a no-hitter."

If he keeps performing like he is in AA, 6 starts 1.95 ERA 1.048 WHIP, he HAS to be called up at least when the rosters expand if not sooner. That being said, it's only his first year in the minors so he's had very little time to show if he can handle pressure or recovering from bad starts. 

Credit to the coaching staff too. Skaggs was consistently struggling until they developed that change up and Heaney was a work in progress (maybe still is) with injury problems until this year. They also helped Ohtani develop and adapt quickly, not just on the mound, but culturally it seems like. They had the courage to trust a 21 year old Barria and work with him which is hard to do. Not just the rotation but it seems like Johnson and Parker have found their groove here too. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/mid-may-starting-pitcher-rankings-update/

Interesting breakdown for fantasy baseball. Kinda confirms a few of my priors - Angels have two pitchers in the "must start" category, and 2 more in the "usually start" category. Not bad, better than most teams. Meanwhile, the freaking Astros are messing around with 2 "#1" guys, and 3 "must start" guys. Filthy rotation...

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Didn't Turnbow pitch like 3-4 solid innings in that Sunday game in NY in August 2000, where Erstad made the game saving catch and then homered in extra innings?

I think I speak for most of us here when I say, I'm going to take your word for it 

15 hours ago, FanSince'98 said:

3.18 ERA for Johnson this year, WHIP is high, but for what we gave up I'll take that as a win. We gave up Kelly who is no good so far. Johnson had a 5+ ERA last year and looks like a totally different guy in Angel red. 

Now, do you see what we are saying about Johnson?

Who gives up 2 run HRs to Denard Span???? And allows FOUR runs in an inning to the Rays????

The 3.18 ERA masked his being very hittable.   Now, he is just plain mediocre.

He definitely had a bad game, but he was pitching well before last night. You could say the same for Anderson a little while ago, looked amazing day after day then had 1 bad game and now his stats look like garbage. That's the life of a bullpen pitcher, small amounts of innings, large amounts of appearances. I still don't mind having him pitch the 6th or 7th when we need him, and the trade was helpful to the team when we acquired int'l money to sign Ohtani. Works for me. 

On 5/17/2018 at 1:12 PM, Angel Oracle said:

Didn't Turnbow pitch like 3-4 solid innings in that Sunday game in NY in August 2000, where Erstad made the game saving catch and then homered in extra innings?

I remember that game saving catch from Erstad.  I was listening on the radio, and Darren Sutton was screaming hysterically during the broadcast at that play.