• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hero or Goat 5/11/2018

Goat Goat Goat Goat  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Take your pick.

• The bullpen
    • Mike Scioscia
    • Trout - didn't come through in the clutch
    • Justin Anderson
    • Jim Johnson
    • Valbuena - 4 left on base
    • Cozart - 4 left on base
    • Eppler - terrible bullpen for an otherwise very good team

Terrible loss.  The type that you look back at in September when you miss the playoffs by a game or 2.  

Lot's of shade to throw tonight

MS - made some horrible choices.  Opting for a 6 out save from a rookie doesn't happen when you've got a legit pen.  

Anderson - overextended.  way too much expected of him

Johnson - just not really very good.  

Trout - granted he hit the ball on the screws, but when is something going to go right for him in a clutch situation.

I didn't include Maldonado, but there was some pretty questionable pitch calling tonight.  

Trout's been clutch many times before. Did you forget that game tying grand slam off of Sale in the bottom of the 8th inning a few years ago? Or how about that walk off home run off of Uehara in 2015? And it wasn't like he was facing scrub or average pitchers, my friend! To me, this loss was on Scioscia. Love blaming him! 

I dont say it often but if I were to pick one option its Scioscia.   Big question to go with Anderson for 6 out save.  Bigger question by walking the go ahead run on.  As it was mentioned in a game day thread it was a slap in the face to the Twins and they slapped back 

3 minutes ago, Sherlock31 said:

Sosh all the way, no idea why he choose to let Anderson pitch's the ninth...... Stupid.

I question the move but wouldnt call going with Anderson in the ninth a "stupid" move.  There aren't a lot of relievers I have confidence in.  Eppler does need to do something.   

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I can get behind bringing Anderson out to start the 9th. I was surprised there was no hook after the homerun. The intentional walk was... upsetting.

Do have do wonder if Johnson gives up a run if he came in with no one on.

Question how over used was Alvarez? He normally would pitch to a left hander.

17 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

Trout's been clutch many times before. Did you forget that game tying grand slam off of Sale in the bottom of the 8th inning a few years ago? Or how about that walk off home run off of Uehara in 2015? And it wasn't like he was facing scrub or average pitchers, my friend! To me, this loss was on Scioscia. Love blaming him! 

you pointed out 2 times in 3+ seasons.    He hasn't come up big when it counts but the team wouldn't be in a position to need him in that big spot if he wasn't around in the first place.    Don't try to sell me.  He hasn't been clutch but he's so good otherwise, he gets a pass.  I know the numbers.  I know the situations.  Save it.  

52 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

Scioscia.  I would have had Johnson to start the 9th with Middleton and Alvarez getting loose.  

If you were going to use Alvarez  he should have started the 9th.  However he may not have been available.

48 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

you pointed out 2 times in 3+ seasons.    He hasn't come up big when it counts but the team wouldn't be in a position to need him in that big spot if he wasn't around in the first place.    Don't try to sell me.  He hasn't been clutch but he's so good otherwise, he gets a pass.  I know the numbers.  I know the situations.  Save it.  

Clutch opportunities are smaller sample.  It will average itself as his career continues.

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

No, you don't, dude! Trout's career slash line in high leverage situations is .309/.426/.571.

That's a .998 OPS. If that is not clutch to me, I don't know what is. For a comparison, Altuve's career slash line in high  leverage situations is .294/.348/.404, which is a .752 OPS.  You don't need to try to convince me on why he's not clutch, because the numbers are right there.

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Scioscia’s managing sucked tonight.

Who walks the go ahead batter intentionally?

Why didn’t he use Parker (2.00 ERA in past 13 innings but no innings this week) in the 7th, and THEN Ramirez and Anderson for an inning each???

Parker pitched Sunday and Wednesday 

4 hours ago, Lou said:

Parker pitched Sunday and Wednesday 

We’re both wrong.   He didn’t pitch either of those days, but did pitch Tuesday.   But, those 15 pitches Tuesday are all that Parker’s thrown since Saturday, despite a 2.00 ERA in his past 13.1 innings.

Meanwhile, he’s running Alvarez, Anderson and Johnson on fumes.   Why not trust a fresher and very solid for the past month Parker?

He needs to start trusting Parker again, at least for higher leverage 7th/8th inning appearances.

Because at this rate, Alvarez, Anderson and Johnson will be actually on fumes by August.

Of course, as solid as they’ve been into the 6th inning for 11 straight starts, the starters also need their command to slowly continue to improve so that they can average pitching into the 7th inning and not the 6th.  One inning makes a world of difference.

Believe it or not though (apologies to Jack Palance), I’m not down at all on the team or Scioscia, as this is a much better overall team than the past 3 years.   They just need a little bullpen help and a little deeper work by the starters, and this was just one loss albeit a bad one.

35 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Walking the go run was a calculated risk that Sosh believed put his pitchers in a better situation. You’re a hero or a goat in that situation . 

Trusting your players isn’t a bad thing. 

If you are talking about walking Trout, Arenado, Betts, etc., then maybe yes.   But you don’t intentionally walk THAT Twins batter as the lead run.

Kepler is solid.  BUT he isn’t any of those other guys.