• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Your Desired Angels Lineup (2018)

What do you think of the line up that Sosh has been putting out there so far this year?  I don't really mean the one offs like having Ohtani bat clean up one time, but in general?  Do you like that he has kept with the same 1-4 every game except for Kinsler starting the season on the DL?  Do you like the musical chairs of Cozart, Simmons and Kole?  Do you like Maldonado batting 9th? 

Things to consider: 

The team was built to have some platooning based on having Ohtani.  

Kole hasn't hit and has been moved around a ton

My big gripe is I wish Simmons had a more stable spot in the line up.  I would probably bat him 5th and leave him there.  I don't if he is used by Scioscia to break up the lefties later in the line up or what.  

I'd actually move Trout down in the lineup to give someone like Simmons even more pitches to hit. Similar to what they did with Torii a few years back. I don't trust Calhoun in the 2 hole.

Kinsler

Simmons

Trout

Upton

Pujols

Ohtani

Cozart

Calhoun

Maldonado

I'm also not concerned with breaking up the lefties. We have solid righties who get on base. We only need more opportunities for trout with runners on. Less solo homers and more 2/3 run homeruns.

4 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I'd actually move Trout down in the lineup to give someone like Simmons even more pitches to hit. Similar to what they did with Torii a few years back. I don't trust Calhoun in the 2 hole.

Kinsler

Simmons

Trout

Upton

Pujols

Ohtani

Cozart

Calhoun

Maldonado

I'm also not concerned with breaking up the lefties. We have solid righties who get on base. We only need more opportunities for trout with runners on. Less solo homers and more 2/3 run homeruns.

I would only be ok with batting Trout 3rd if we have two very solid OBP guys hitting in front of him.  To me if you don't have that, then I would rather he get the 20 extra at bats a season.  

Just now, Troll Daddy said:

Trout batting second is more Eppler than Sosh

I agree. Its a numbers game like Strad said. More at bats should equate to more runs driven in. For me that is where analytics doesn't always work. It is not factoring in the fact that if you get people on in front of Trout that the pitcher is forced to pitch differently. You either walk him to avoid him driving in a runner on 2nd or you pitch to him and in trying to avoid the walk which would load the bases you give him better pitches to hit.

In 20 at bats lets say Trout homers 3 times, i'd rather have 3 two or three run homeruns in less at bats than those 3 RBI in the extra 20 at bats.

2 minutes ago, John Taylor said:

I like the idea of Simmons or Cozart batting 2nd and moving Trout to 3rd, Upton cleanup, and dropping Pujols down to 5th, but Sosh loves his veterans and would never want to insult Mang by dropping him out of the cleanup spot.

Unless of course he hits a homerun the night before :P

Trout should stay in the 2 spot no matter what imo.  

Personally, I think there is opportunity for it to be a bit more dynamic on a game to game basis.  

Like parsing out data based on success of pitches in certain zones, breaking balls and other off speed etc.  Historical trends for certain guys.  Sometimes, hitters see the ball better from certain guys.  Or maybe for guys who live up in the zone more, move simmons up because he does well against the high ball.  Or if a guys go to pitch is a changeup, then look through and see who has the most success against that pitch in general.  

Having said that, I am fine with what he's done so far.  The above probably doesn't even do much for you and outside of Trout, a lot of the player in our lineup are somewhat redundant in terms of ability . 

1 hour ago, SuperTroopers said:

My big gripe is I wish Simmons had a more stable spot in the line up.  I would probably bat him 5th and leave him there.  I don't if he is used by Scioscia to break up the lefties later in the line up or what.  

I agree. I would love to see him bat #3 IMO. 

Kinsler, Trout, Simmons, Pujols, Upton, Ohtani, Cozart, Valbuena/Marte, Calhoun, Maldonado/Rivera

Simmons leads the team in hits and has a .382 OBP.

Just now, Troll Daddy said:

Simmons batting third is nuts imo

Load up with OBP guys before the power threats come up in Pujols, Upton, Ohtani.... Makes perfect sense to have a guy up after Kinsler and Trout that leads the team in hits and has more walks than strikeouts. If he's not getting a hit or walk, he's at least putting the ball in play and not striking out like Upton does.