• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I do not agree with batting Othani cleanup.

floplag

I'm sorry, i dont. 

Its far too early to put that kind of load on him in my view.   Move him up, sure, absolutely, hes earned that, but cleanup?  Too much too fast. 

Even if he succeeds hes not likely to be a 30-40 HR type of guy, his highest total was 22 in Japan.  

Call me old school but id like a little more pop there.  Even if J-Up is struggling a bit i think in the end he puts up more power.

Just my 2 cents and a likely unpopular view.  

2 minutes ago, Lou said:

Upton is batting 3rd.

When Pujols sits, who would you have batting 4th? 

That is something to think about.   None of the guys below Pujols, other than Ohtani, have the power that is needed to bat cleanup.

It's a pros and cons thing.    Bringing Ohtani along at normal speed, vs needing power in that cleanup spot.    Fortunately, it won't be needed too often. 

1 minute ago, Lou said:

Something folks should think about when clamoring for Albert to be dropped in the batting order.

He does seem like a somewhat different hitter so far in 2018.   Still not the greatest OBP, but the BA is significantly higher so far than it was in 2017.

And on pace for close to 30 HRs

Even if he succeeds hes not likely to be a 30-40 HR type of guy, his highest total was 22 in Japan.“

If you’re going to bring up his HR totals in Japan, maybe you should also mention that he didn’t play full-time. Otherwise, this is misleading and disingenuous. Over a full 162-game season, he was on pace to hit 34-35 HRs.

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

That is something to think about.   None of the guys below Pujols, other than Ohtani, have the power that is needed to bat cleanup.

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

Upton is batting 3rd.

When Pujols sits, who would you have batting 4th? 

Valid question, i guess i would go with the replacement for Pujols such as Valbuena for the time being.  Perhaps i would agree more if we werent still in the first moth.  I do not want to set this guy up to fail.

The bottom half of our lineup doesnt have a ton of power, thats a given, but lets not forget Valbuena did hit 22 last year in only about 117 games and around 350 ABs.  

Perhaps in the second half.... not now.  his confidence and success matter much more over the long term.    IDK maybe hes the type of guy that can handle it not being a true rookie kid, but i just worry its too much too fast 

5 minutes ago, floplag said:

Valid question, i guess i would go with the replacement for Pujols such as Valbuena for the time being.  Perhaps i would agree more if we werent still in the first moth.  I do not want to set this guy up to fail.

The bottom half of our lineup doesnt have a ton of power, thats a given, but lets not forget Valbuena did hit 22 last year in only about 117 games and around 350 ABs.  

Perhaps in the second half.... not now.  his confidence and success matter much more over the long term.    IDK maybe hes the type of guy that can handle it not being a true rookie kid, but i just worry its too much too fast 

The good thing is that Pujols is NOT going to sit out that many games in 2018.   Limited cleanup appearances shouldn't have the same affect, that being pushed into it permanently too soon could have.   Come 2019, Ohtani should be ready for a lot more cleanup appearances as Pujols approaches 40. 

3 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Valbuena ... batting cleanup?

How-About-No-Bear.jpg

Normally, i would agree, but this is the path we set ourselves on when we didnt sign a Morrison/Headley/other 1B man in the off season.  
Like it or not hes going to be out there, most game, in some capacity, and likely has more pop overall than anyone else left in the lineup.  
I'm not wild about it, but i think protecting the kids development matters to me more.  
Again, just my view.  

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

The good thing is that Pujols is NOT going to sit out that many games in 2018.   

On days that Pujols sits, why not move Simmons, or Cozart, into the #2 spot and move Trout and Upton into the #3 and #4 spots? Like AO said, it's not like Pujols is going to sit out a lot of games.

4 minutes ago, fanfromday1 said:

On days that Pujols sits, why not move Simmons, or Cozart, into the #2 spot and move Trout and Upton into the #3 and #4 spots? Like AO said, it's not like Pujols is going to sit out a lot of games.

another good alternative. Bat him 5th on those days if you must. 

18 minutes ago, floplag said:

Normally, i would agree, but this is the path we set ourselves on when we didnt sign a Morrison/Headley/other 1B man in the off season.  
Like it or not hes going to be out there, most game, in some capacity, and likely has more pop overall than anyone else left in the lineup.  
I'm not wild about it, but i think protecting the kids development matters to me more.  
Again, just my view.  

Ohtani has been put under pressure his entire career. As far as I've seen, he can handle it.

This place goes nuts when Valbuena is in the lineup. Can you imagine what it would be like if he were to be batting cleanup? 

Even worse would be if we had signed either of these guys:

Morrison: 1 HR  3 RBI   .096/.203/.173/.376

Headley  : 0 HR  1 RBI   .100/.250/.133/.383

They have combined for 3 extra base hits

11 minutes ago, Lou said:

Ohtani has been put under pressure his entire career. As far as I've seen, he can handle it.

This place goes nuts when Valbuena is in the lineup. Can you imagine what it would be like if he were to be batting cleanup? 

Even worse would be if we had signed either of these guys:

Morrison: 1 HR  3 RBI   .096/.203/.173/.376

Headley  : 0 HR  1 RBI   .100/.250/.133/.383

They have combined for 3 extra base hits

#1 i dont go nuts when hes there, hes the best option we have right now, it is what it is. 
#2 do you think those other guys are going to end there?  Moustakis?  slow starts, small sample.  Regardless the point stands, when we made the decisioon not to sing a full time 1B, Valbuena became that guy by default. 

1 minute ago, Lou said:

Then who bats 4th and 5th? 

i personally like the idea that others have suggested with moving Trout Upton down a spot and moving some of the higher OBP guys up to the 1-2.  Might like that idea regardless to be honest to give Trout more chance to create runs, but thats just me.  

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

i personally like the idea that others have suggested with moving Trout Upton down a spot and moving some of the higher OBP guys up to the 1-2.  Might like that idea regardless to be honest to give Trout more chance to create runs, but thats just me.  

I don't have a problem with that.

Hell, if Calhoun is going to be starting every day, let him bat 2nd for a couple of games. Maybe it'll light a fire under his ass.

If that doesn't work, bench him for Marte.