• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I do not agree with batting Othani cleanup.

floplag

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

More pop? His exit velocity is averaging 100+ mph. he has 3 HR a triple and a double in limited AB.

I thnik were buying into this too hard too fast.  
Hes not going to put up more HR than Upton, zero chance.  
Thats not a knock, but till i see it in mlb, im not making careless assumptions of 300 averages and 1000 ops  

4 hours ago, floplag said:

I thnik were buying into this too hard too fast.  
Hes not going to put up more HR than Upton, zero chance.  
Thats not a knock, but till i see it in mlb, im not making careless assumptions of 300 averages and 1000 ops  

Of COURSE he won't hit more HRs than Upton. Upton, if he stays healthy,. will get 650+ PA.

Ohtani will probably not have more than 400. Tangerines and oranges.

26 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

Of COURSE he won't hit more HRs than Upton. Upton, if he stays healthy,. will get 650+ PA.

Ohtani will probably not have more than 400. Tangerines and oranges.

Fair enough but I would be willing to bet even the averages, not the absolutes, that Upton still wins.  
Upton last season hit 35 bombs in 459 PA.  Thats an average of one ever 13.11 AB.  
400 / 13.11 equals 30 HR given the same number of ABs you listed. 

In Othanis best recent power year he hit 22 in 323 AB, or an average of one every 10.54.  We both know that wont directly translate so unless you think he will put up more HR per at bats than Upton will, the type of fruit doesnt really matter. 

21 minutes ago, floplag said:

Fair enough but I would be willing to bet even the averages, not the absolutes, that Upton still wins.  
Upton last season hit 35 bombs in 459 PA.  Thats an average of one ever 13.11 AB.  
400 / 13.11 equals 30 HR given the same number of ABs you listed. 

In Othanis best recent power year he hit 22 in 323 AB, or an average of one every 10.54.  We both know that wont directly translate so unless you think he will put up more HR per at bats than Upton will, the type of fruit doesnt really matter. 

Upton had more like 560 AB’s last year.  A bit odd that this is your reference point anyway.  Obviously Upton should and will hit  3rd or 4th ahead of Ohtani.  No one is disputing that. 

what difference does it make what the totals will be ? When Ohtani is available we should put out the best possible line up. Which probably means Ohtani should be batting 5th and 6th at the lowest.  He’s almost certainly a better hitter then Calhoun, Valbuena, and Marte.  Probably better then Cozart and Simmons. 

And that’s no slight against a guy like Simmons who I think is a good hitter.  It’s just that Ohtani might be a very good to great hitter. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

Bigger than where Ohtani hits in the order is the fact that HE ONLY AVERAGES THREE GAMES PER WEEK. Fix that first.

I can see no reason why he cant DH the day after he pitches. He's not throwing between starts. I doubt he is going over scouting reports on hitters, to the extent that he isnt able to do that before or after the game.

Because not hitting that day is what he's USED to? Well, being in MLB and the English speaking U.S. is something he's had to get used to. Get it done!!!

Personally, I think the best place to bat Ohtani, ASSUMING HE CONTINUES TO HIT LIKE THE FIRST TWO WEEKS OF THE SEASON, is probably 5th, behind Albert. But he is beginning to show signs of vulnerability to the K. Running fastballs, down and away, are beginning to eat him up. He's hitting only .167 against lefties and their sliders and curves DOWN AND AWAY. Scioscia is starting to protect him from having to face lefties, in my opinion.

I'm still grindin' on this here axe............

i would prefer to have ohtani bat 5th as i think there's slightly less pressure/importance there in the order. however, i'm not bothered at all by him hitting anywhere in the lineup, be it 4th or 8th.

wherever he fits to make it our best possible lineup that day is fine with me.

2 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

I can see no reason why he cant DH the day after he pitches. He's not throwing between starts. I doubt he is going over scouting reports on hitters, to the extent that he isnt able to do that before or after the game.

Of source he does, he threw two bullpens since his last start. He never has hit before or after his starts so why mess with success? Pretty sure they know what they're doing.