• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani is MLB’s dream come true

Yes it’s early but with Ohtani’s powerful bat crushing baseballs, could MLB’s Home Run Derby be calling on him this season? You can bet that all of Japan would want to see their young superstar participate. I know that most of us are not fans of the HRD but the overall Angels popularity would inherently rise because of it.

I think it would be amazing to see Ohtani hit and pitch in the All Star Game and participate in the HRD. 

Thoughts?

Every young prospect that comes up and plays well is MLB's dream come true.

Harper and Trout were their dream come true. Same with Arenado and Goldy. Thor and Strasburg. Kershaw and Scherzer. So will Acuna and Vlad Jr. 

The only difference with Ohtani is he brings more Japanese fans to the park, and is marketable because of the two-way thing.

Ohtani is special, but MLB has a TON of talent that they benefit from.

7 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Harper and Trout were their dream come true. Same with Arenado and Goldy. Thor and Strasburg. Kershaw and Scherzer. So will Acuna and Vlad Jr. 

The only difference with Ohtani is he brings more Japanese fans to the park, and is marketable because of the two-way thing.

Disagree.

Assuming Ohtani's skils are legit he's the biggest marketing phenomena for MLB since Bo Jackson and has the ability to pull in fans who aren't interested in baseball.

1 hour ago, CubsFan said:

Disagree.

Assuming Ohtani's skils are legit he's the biggest marketing phenomena for MLB since Bo Jackson and has the ability to pull in fans who aren't interested in baseball.

Your point is completely valid, but where I diverge in opinion is here:  This may be similar to where with politics (and that's as far as I'll go on that subject), I wonder if catering your message/marketing to those that aren't interested at all isn't a mistake. Even if you succeed at getting their attention and/or money, do you get a long term "customer" or just someone's short attention span. All while disappointing your primary audience. 

An example on a different topic would be that personally, I appreciate the attempts to shorten the game. Length of game is one reason I've been becoming a bigger fan of the NBA. However, a lot of existing fans don't want things like a pitch clock that some feel take away from the tradition of the game. Does shortening the game expand the customer base or trade out existing fans for new ones that aren't as invested in your sport? 

IT does when he's only homered in 3 fricking games! Let's be a bit guarded....Remember that dude from the Brewers last year Eric Thames......!

There are always a couple dudes that breakout every year!

I love the excitement, However, I am old enough to have seen many flame out at the All Star break! Or, even after their rookie years! I was the same on Trout! I need to see 1-2-3 years before I drop the Natural "Babe Ruth" comps! He will need to continue to make adjustments through out his career and the first 900-1500 ab's will tell the story! Remember he was predominately hitting and pitching vs minor league talent in B games during SPT....and the Japanese league is comparative to AAAA with smaller yards!

So, when will we ever have a COMP of a future Joe Charboneau or Ron Kittle?!  

On 4/7/2018 at 10:35 AM, Scotty@AW said:

Oh, look at Mr. Contrary and his contrarian ways.

On 4/7/2018 at 5:22 AM, OHTANILAND said:

Yes it’s early but with Ohtani’s powerful bat crushing baseballs, could MLB’s Home Run Derby be calling on him this season? You can bet that all of Japan would want to see their young superstar participate. I know that most of us are not fans of the HRD but the overall Angels popularity would inherently rise because of it.

I think it would be amazing to see Ohtani hit and pitch in the All Star Game and participate in the HRD. 

Thoughts?

Lifetime ban.