• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Veteran slugger Chris Carter has abandoned his all-or-nothing approach with Angels

TEMPE, Ariz. — Somewhere along the way, Chris Carter picked up the nickname “Sleepy.” It’s easy to see why.

As he chatted with teammates Monday in the Angels’ clubhouse, Carter draped his 6-foot-4, 245-pound frame over a folding chair at an angle so low, he appeared to be reclining in a La-Z-Boy. His eyes possess a natural droop. He looked ready for a nap.

“He’s always so relaxed, so comfortable,” teammate Martin Maldonado said. “He barely gets mad, barely laughs.”

It would be easy to sleep on Carter’s role with the Angels. He is blocked at first base by Albert Pujols and Luis Valbuena, both of whom are on the 40-man roster. Carter is a non-roster invitee to the Angels’ major league camp, but he’s opened eyes in a short time.

After a 12-month cascade that saw Carter go from the National League home run leader to an afterthought in a crowded free-agent market, the 31-year-old veteran realized he had to shake things up. He looked at video of his swing over the winter. He didn’t like what he saw, especially on the follow-through. Carter concluded he needed to be “hitting through balls more, so I’m not pulling off them as much.”

The early returns must be taken with a grain of salt – true for anyone after 10 Cactus League games. Facing a mix of mostly major-league pitchers, Carter has five hits and three strikeouts in 14 at-bats. One of the hits was a home run. It’s a small sample, but an unusual one for someone with the profile of an all-or-nothing slugger.

Sunday’s game against the Colorado Rockies was instructive. In his first at-bat, Carter doubled to left field against Jon Gray. In his next at-bat, he roped a hard line drive to right field against Scott Oberg for a single. That’s two major-league pitchers and two major-league hits, each to a different section of the outfield.

Maldonado, who played with Carter in Milwaukee in 2016, barely recognized Carter’s new approach.

“He looks way different now,” Maldonado said. “He looks way better. He’s making more contact, hitting more line drives. He has unbelievable power. He doesn’t have to try to hit homers. He can be thinking line drives.”

If Carter’s transformation holds, it would be nothing short of remarkable. A total of 203 players have at least 2,500 plate appearances this decade. Carter ranks 203rd – dead last – with a 64.7 percent contact rate.

The Brewers could live with Carter’s 206 strikeouts in 2016. He played 160 games and was a 1-win player according to FanGraphs and Baseball-Reference. His traditional stats (41 homers and 94 RBIs) set career highs.

Yet Milwaukee designated Carter for assignment after the season, when he was eligible for arbitration and figured to see his $2.5 million salary multiply. The move came as a shock. Carter remained a free agent into February of 2017.

Carter eventually got a $1 million raise from the New York Yankees, but by June he was batting .201 with two strikeouts for every hit. His swing rate was up, his contact rate down. Asked about the first-base position after one loss, Yankees Manager Joe Girardi said of Carter, “it’s what we have.” GM Brian Cashman piled on, saying, “I think he’d like to come up with a better option if we had one and we don’t.”

Carter was released by the Yankees in July and signed a minor-league deal with Oakland. He spent the rest of the season at Triple-A.

Maybe Carter’s exit from Milwaukee was a harbinger of things to come. Last year, Logan Morrison and Mike Moustakas each hit 38 home runs, tied for eighth in baseball, in their free-agent walk seasons. Moustakas is still a free agent. Morrison became a Minnesota Twin just last week.

After a record year for home runs, in a market with more capable sluggers than ever before, the skill seems to have lost value.

“You always wonder why it happens, why they’re changing what they value and what teams want,” Carter said. “There’s definitely a lot more analytics going on in the game right now.”

Carter said his contract offers were limited to a handful of teams this winter.

“It was kind of all the same scenario: they already have a guy,” he said.

At least in Anaheim, Carter is closer to his home in Las Vegas. His burden of expectations is lighter than a feather. And the ball is flying straighter off his bat, a good omen for a career that could use a sense of direction.

HEANEY’S ADJUSTMENT WORKING

Left-hander Andrew Heaney said shifting back to the left side of the pitching rubber has spurred his early success in camp.

Heaney said he was told to switch to the right side of the rubber after returning from Tommy John surgery last season, a move designed to decrease the stress on his arm. He stayed there the remainder of the season.

But the move never felt right to Heaney, and it showed in his results. In five starts spanning 21-2/3 innings, Heaney allowed 12 home runs and was stuck with a 7.06 earned-run average.

“That was a little bit of frustration for me toward the end of the year, thinking ‘this isn’t how I pitch, who I am, what I do’,” he said. “You never want to make excuses or think that what you’re doing is wrong but the game is about adjustments, re-adjusting, then adjusting back. It’s something I messed with this offseason and just got back to where I was in 2015.”

Heaney hasn’t allowed a run in his first five Cactus League innings while striking out six batters.

Asked if Heaney looks like he did in 2015 prior to his elbow injury, Manager Mike Scioscia said, “I think it’s a step forward from even there.”

ALSO

Shohei Ohtani went 0 for 3 against the Cincinnati Reds in his second appearance as the Angels’ designated hitter. He was robbed by center fielder Billy Hamilton on a diving catch in the left-center field gap in the first inning. Ohtani grounded out in each of his next two at-bats. … Ohtani will be the Angels’ designated hitter on Tuesday against the Arizona Diamondbacks at Salt River Fields. … His next pitching appearance is expected to come in a “B” game against the Tijuana Toros on Friday at Tempe Diablo Stadium.

View the full article

The depth we have at 1B/DH is spectacular. I think Eppler realized how these two positions sunk our offense for large portions of the year and has taken steps to fix it.

Pujols and Ohtani will DH. If necessary Carter can too. Or even Chris Young depending on the matchup.

At first base, Valbuena is obviously first string, but if he isn't cutting it, we move on to Carter or even Jose Miguel Fernandez. 

And of course this may just be buying time until Thaiss is ready. If the adjustments he's made are real and produce lasting results, he could be major league ready after the all-star break.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

So far it looks like Walsh is leading Fernandez and Cowart for the backup MI spot on the roster. 

agree.  He's a lot more 'hitterish' than someone like Pennington.  

Does Cowart's body language bother anyone else?  There doesn't seem to be a lot of effort or urgency for a guy fighting for a major league roster spot.  I keep getting the feeling that he's waiting to be traded or DFA'd.  

I've always wondered why someone like Carter, who has tremendous power, doesn't shorten up and hit the ball with power to all fields.  Like the pitcher who throws triple digits with no control or movement.  Kind of see Blash in the same category.  A little more contact isn't always a good thing for a lot of hitter because it generally means soft outs.  But for guys with such pop, It could add 15-20 hits including a few double while maybe sacrificing 5 or less hrs.  Shoot that outside pitch or breaking ball the other way.  

Got to be honest.  I was pretty down on Thaiss after last year.  While I'm not exactly brooding with confidence, his early power display has me feeling a lot more bullish.  I really didn't think there was much of a chance of him being a legit 1bman.  There's a ways to go still, but watching him hit hrs to left center is making me feel much better.  

30 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Does Cowart's body language bother anyone else?  There doesn't seem to be a lot of effort or urgency for a guy fighting for a major league roster spot.  I keep getting the feeling that he's waiting to be traded or DFA'd.  

I've always wondered why someone like Carter, who has tremendous power, doesn't shorten up and hit the ball with power to all fields.  Like the pitcher who throws triple digits with no control or movement.  Kind of see Blash in the same category.  A little more contact isn't always a good thing for a lot of hitter because it generally means soft outs.  But for guys with such pop, It could add 15-20 hits including a few double while maybe sacrificing 5 or less hrs.  Shoot that outside pitch or breaking ball the other way.  

Got to be honest.  I was pretty down on Thaiss after last year.  While I'm not exactly brooding with confidence, his early power display has me feeling a lot more bullish.  I really didn't think there was much of a chance of him being a legit 1bman.  There's a ways to go still, but watching him hit hrs to left center is making me feel much better.  

On the hitting side of it yeah but on the defensive side he has been lights out. I thought he would be traded this off-season anyway but we'll see.

10 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

So far it looks like Walsh is leading Fernandez and Cowart for the backup MI spot on the roster. 

As he should. Walsh looks like he play every spot in the infield. He's a little rough around the edges at shortstop, but he can play it. 

If Simmons needed rest, chances are Cozart would move to SS anyway. 

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

If Valbuena did struggle, is there any chance that Carter can play a serviceable 1B?

Carter is serviceable at 1B, definitely. I think the limitations are that he's only serviceable at 1B, whereas Valbuena can play 3B and 2B in a pinch.

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I'm really excited about the adjustments Blash has made. Vladdy took a specific interest in him, which is pretty special. Had him "quiet his feet" I guess.

He's looking very calm, comfortable and is driving the ball.

I'm a bit surprised Blash hasn't considered picking up a 1B mitt. With his size and tools, it would open up another avenue onto the roster.

2 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

I'm really excited about the adjustments Blash has made. Vladdy took a specific interest in him, which is pretty special. Had him "quiet his feet" I guess.

He's looking very calm, comfortable and is driving the ball.

I'm a bit surprised Blash hasn't considered picking up a 1B mitt. With his size and tools, it would open up another avenue onto the roster.

I could see Blash getting some 1B reps at AAA. His swing looks like a total mess but I did hear of Vlad's interest and could see them finding a way to get him in line.

Rymer Liriano has REALLY stood out to me. He's had a great approach, hit the other way, worked the count, and looked very collected and confident.

Real excited about those two pick-ups. They both have potential. If either click, they could work into the Angels' short-term plans and give them ability to mull midseason improvements that wind up involving Calhoun, Jones, or Hermosillo. 

11 hours ago, Rico said:

No chance for Fletcher?

To me, Fletcher has already earned the UT IF role. In fact, I think he's already earned more than that. I consider him the front runner for Kinsler's replacement, and he's probably better off getting regular playing time in AAA prepping for that than spending a year on the bench. 

He hits every spring, plays excellent defense, and does all the little things too.  

3 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Carter is serviceable at 1B, definitely. I think the limitations are that he's only serviceable at 1B, whereas Valbuena can play 3B and 2B in a pinch.

If Valbuena struggles and eventually needs to be let go or traded, they can still have Carter playing 1B only, and still carry a utility INF, 4th OF, backup catcher, 6 starters including duo threat Ohtani, and 7 relievers.  

If both Valbuena and Carter are raking by the time the season starts, would it be a huge gamble to have both on the 25 man roster, with Valbuena being the main utility INF?   Cozart can fill in at SS, when Simmons needs a day off.   

Team has excellent defense as it is.    Carrying a little extra power/plate patience offense could make a difference.

I posted this in the SPT Breakout thread:

Personally, for me.

It's the at bats that I was able to watch of Chris Carter during the games last weekend. He's cut down on his swing and has started to put the ball in play a bit more from what I saw. He also wasn't bad around the bag fielding wise as he had a few chances over their. He also had a double down the line in left then shot a single out to right....lt seems like he's been working hard on his swing!

He's already a big dude! But, he had pretty good feet and soft hands around the bag and made a couple plays and even called off the pitcher on some 3-U's.... Which most don't watch that kind of stuff or don't know what they are looking for.

Maybe, an assumption, but, I always thought him more of just a big lumbering guy that swung hard previously..... That's really not what I saw last weekend at all. I like him! I also, believe he will end up doing more for us than the hot/cold Cron! And he may even break camp!

And on a side note Billy likes Chris Carter and Rene Rivera alot... That's all I'm gonna say about that!

14 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I mentioned it last week that I thought Walsh would end up winning the spot.  He has shown to handle the various positions and his bat is looking strong right now. 

4 minutes ago, jordan said:

I mentioned it last week that I thought Walsh would end up winning the spot.  He has shown to handle the various positions and his bat is looking strong right now. 

He looks like a scrappy guy with some pop, speed and on-base ability in addition to the many positions he can play defensively. 

Unless he falls flat on his face from here on out, I'm guessing he wins the utility spot. 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

He looks like a scrappy guy with some pop, speed and on-base ability in addition to the many positions he can play defensively. 

Unless he falls flat on his face from here on out, I'm guessing he wins the utility spot. 

He has definitely stood out to me during the times I've gotten to see him this spring.  Cowart has had some very nice plays defensively, but not near the bat that we've seen from Walsh.  Cowart seems seems to be confused at the plate. 

11 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Chuck, he's got some ability. Just be tempered in your expectations. As he's also not going up against the arms on 25 mans quite yet. He's got some ability at many positions and has an above avg arm. But, he for me, he takes a little too many pitches mostly away and pulls off on the away stuff when he gets down in the count while I was watching him. He needs to work on that the rest of the month or it will get exposed if he breaks camp.

9 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Walsh seems like the perfect guy to stash in AAA for future depth. 

And if he works on that away stuff I spoke about he can have a very good career flipping around and being a Utility guy  for many teams! I've known some guys that made a career of that and had a solid 8-10-12 year career!

Kind of like our former 4th OF'er guy Orlando Palmeiro.... Not the guy, Not even a Semi-TOP guy, but, good 4th OF'er who was pretty decent off the bench and battled in his AB's with a little speed and could play some defense had a good 12+ year career! And made some coin along the way.

And that's thing about those kind of guys! You don't really think about them. But, they do their job and work on their game and battle. Grinders! Every team needs a couple!