• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

BBQ sauce pros

Resurrecting a good thread.

My sister in law turns 70 today and my brother has invited the clan and all friends for a dinner. They are serving lasagne and penne pasta but Dan asked if I could bring my baby back ribs.

At first I declined and said I'll bring something like stuffed portobello mushrooms to pair with the pasta spread. But neither Smart and Final or the local grocery stores are carrying the large portobello this week.

So...

20230429_112143.jpg

On 4/29/2023 at 11:27 AM, Blarg said:

Resurrecting a good thread.

My sister in law turns 70 today and my brother has invited the clan and all friends for a dinner. They are serving lasagne and penne pasta but Dan asked if I could bring my baby back ribs.

At first I declined and said I'll bring something like stuffed portobello mushrooms to pair with the pasta spread. But neither Smart and Final or the local grocery stores are carrying the large portobello this week.

So...

20230429_112143.jpg

Those ribs look awesome @Blarg.

Sorry @Tank

10 hours ago, Don said:

Gates definitely isn’t the best barbecue in KC overall, but their sauce definitely is. It’s a lot more peppery than other sauces you’d find in KC, and not nearly as sweet as a lot of the others. It works really really well on burgers too, strangely.

https://gatesbbq.com/product/40-oz-classic-only-bbq-sauce-case/

Accurate. I like it because of the kick, but I also get why people don't like it or aren't used to it for a KC sauce.

On 5/1/2023 at 11:31 AM, Don said:

Gates definitely isn’t the best barbecue in KC overall, but their sauce definitely is. It’s a lot more peppery than other sauces you’d find in KC, and not nearly as sweet as a lot of the others. It works really really well on burgers too, strangely.

https://gatesbbq.com/product/40-oz-classic-only-bbq-sauce-case/

I actually might order the sauce to try, but probably not gonna jump on the 12 pack. That kind of blind commitment is reserved for Costco.

1 hour ago, Alfred O. Griffin said:

I actually might order the sauce to try, but probably not gonna jump on the 12 pack. That kind of blind commitment is reserved for Costco.

Yeah, I’m sure they have individual bottles available online somewhere. They’re available in most grocery stores around here.

On 5/1/2023 at 9:55 PM, Brandon said:

Accurate. I like it because of the kick, but I also get why people don't like it or aren't used to it for a KC sauce.

Damn, guess I wasted my money buying Joes and Jack stack to try this summer.  Gates has always been my favorite sauce and bbq in kc. Just not a fan of their angry service niche and suspect locations. I usually just go to Scott’s kitchen by the airport. Not a bad little spot if you ever fly in on a weekday 

49 minutes ago, Kotchman said:

Damn, guess I wasted my money buying Joes and Jack stack to try this summer.  Gates has always been my favorite sauce and bbq in kc. Just not a fan of their angry service niche and suspect locations. I usually just go to Scott’s kitchen by the airport. Not a bad little spot if you ever fly in on a weekday 

43 minutes ago, Kotchman said:

Famous Dave’s was actually pretty decent 15 years ago. Damn near dogshit nowadays. 

No money has ever been wasted on KC sauce. Ironically, for the longest time I was a Bryant’s guy. The Gates that burned down and was rebuilt is by my family, but many local complain that the ovens/grills are too new and don’t have that char on them.

How may I help yooooouuuuuuuu.

Ran into a chick down in Belton that said her favorite was Zardas. I know I’ve had it, but don’t remember and think the closet one is in Blue Springs.

I quoted the Famous Dave’s simply for the laugh and fact I have their Devils Spit in my fridge. For a commercial easy to get, I like it.

20 hours ago, Brandon said:

No money has ever been wasted on KC sauce. Ironically, for the longest time I was a Bryant’s guy. The Gates that burned down and was rebuilt is by my family, but many local complain that the ovens/grills are too new and don’t have that char on them.

How may I help yooooouuuuuuuu.

Ran into a chick down in Belton that said her favorite was Zardas. I know I’ve had it, but don’t remember and think the closet one is in Blue Springs.

I quoted the Famous Dave’s simply for the laugh and fact I have their Devils Spit in my fridge. For a commercial easy to get, I like it.

Dave’s sauces are pretty good. Dave’s was about the only decent place to eat when I was in Manhattan ks. Once their sauce and cornbread went commercial their food went to shit. 

Kc needs an up and coming bbq spot. While all the historical places are pretty good, I believe they rest on their reputation. I despise STL but Pappy’s and sugarfire probably beat all the kc joints nowadays.

I generally make my own sauces and rubs but if you need premade bottled stuff Killer Hogs has some pretty good stuff.  Good vinegar sauce, good BBQ sauce and some good rubs too.  The Hot BBQ rub is a damn tasty base on a smoked tri tip.  Sometimes I’ll use these as bases to build my own as well.  Malcolm knows how to make good BBQ.  His vids are pretty informative too.  From home cooks to competition stuff.

Also anyone who builds rubs and likes heat, check out Flat Iron Pepper Company.   Huge variety of pepper flake flavors and heats.  Put them in a cheap Amazon grinder and add to your meats and rubs.  The four pepper blend had replaced a black pepper grinder at my house.  Great stuff!

Edited by Biergott

11 minutes ago, Biergott said:

Also anyone who builds rubs and likes heat, check out Flat Iron Pepper Company.   Huge variety of pepper flake flavors and heats.  Put them in a cheap Amazon grinder and add to your meats and rubs.  The four pepper bond had replaced a black pepper grinder at my house.  Great stuff!

100%

I think Larry was the one that posted about it here or turned me on to this when we would hang out. Their red pepper mix is the bees knees and has some kick. 

Crop_210623_FlatIronPepperCo_38_d9a635e9