• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angel Stadium to have full protective netting behind dugouts

Chuck

I think it's inevitable that the netting will eventually go out to the foul poles. Many Japanese stadiums do this already, and I think there was discussion about doing it at Williamsport...if they haven't already.

At first I wasn't in favor, but just the thought of a child being injured is a nightmare. The adult that is sitting on their phone can be annoying, and it's funny if a pop up knocks the phone out of their hands, but a line drive at 6 year old? 

No thanks. Protect them any way you can.

I'd rather bring my kids to a game and sit close without having to watch every stinking pitch.  What if I go to grab a couple dogs and a beer?  

It's not just safety, it's piece of mind.  Now I can eat a dog and chat with my wife while the kids are screwing around.  

Ask Matt Shoemaker how fast that shit can happen even if you are paying attention.  

You know what else?  I bet a little market research told the halos (and all of mlb for that matter) that a family of four with younger kids would be willing to move closer if they felt it was safe vs. those that said they'd give up their seats or downgrade if a net was in front of them.  Maybe it's a little PR, but maybe it's also a little capitalism or at least paying attention to your target customer.   

Some of these takes are ludicrous.

Who wants to see a kid get hurt?   Who wants to see someone die?   Matt Shoemaker (that's a littttttttttttttttttttle different)

It is mostly PR.  Of course, nobody wants to see people get hurt or die.  People don't get seriously hurt often. People basically don't die.   Yes, it can happen even if you are paying attention.

It can also happen if you are outside of the netting area. Even with it extended. 

Not sure how you drew that conclusion.

I have not taken the stance that people should simply get off their phones, be more aware, or become skilled at snagging 110 mph foul balls.   You should mostly pay attention.... moreso if you are sitting close and/or you have kids with you.  I get uneasy every time someone gets hurt in the stands and everyone is looking to see what happened instead of paying attention to the field.  It's fucking stupid.  Forget the netting, they should make a PA announcement and wait until people are paying attention because that is the most dangerous situation at a game.  Sometimes there's nothing you can do outside of not going.  Don't let the terrorists and the rare seriously foul ball injury win, though. Live life on the edge.  Be a baseball fan.  Bring your kids.  YOLO

12 minutes ago, ScottT said:

Baseball hasn't gotten more dangerous for fans.  The difference is every  incident gets a shit ton of attention now.   For MLB, it's bad press.  Doing this appeases people. They are not worried about lawsuits. They are filthy rich.

I don't think this is true. I think it has gotten more dangerous. The batters are bigger and stronger. The pitchers are throwing harder. Players are working counts and fouling off more balls. In addition to those human factors there are park factors that have made it more dangerous as well. Teams have added premium seating at the expense of foul ground, they have lowered walls, they have added distracting video boards and are constantly trying to entertain fans in ways that don't involve watching the game.

13 hours ago, ScottT said:

Some of these takes are ludicrous.

Who wants to see a kid get hurt?   Who wants to see someone die?   Matt Shoemaker (that's a littttttttttttttttttttle different)

It is mostly PR.  Of course, nobody wants to see people get hurt or die.  People don't get seriously hurt often. People basically don't die.   Yes, it can happen even if you are paying attention.

It can also happen if you are outside of the netting area. Even with it extended. 

Um, no. It's not PR at all. It's liability issues and the right thing to do.

MLB already came out with a recommendation to extend netting all the way to the end of the dugout. The next person who got hurt by a fall ball in an area that was recommended to be protected by a net, and wasn't, would have an incredible and financially rewarding lawsuit against that stadium and team. Any lawyer who couldn't get large money out of that situation should be disbarred.

And, really, it is the right thing to do. It doesn't mar your view. If you are that upset about the netting, do you avoid going to movie theaters because people on the cell phones will disrupt the experience? Do you avoid Angels games because of people standing up at times or because of beach balls? 

I'm not advocating for everyone living in bubble wrap. However, not doing obvious safety features, especially when minimally obtrusive is equally foolish.

38 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

And, really, it is the right thing to do. It doesn't mar your view. If you are that upset about the netting, do you avoid going to movie theaters because people on the cell phones will disrupt the experience? Do you avoid Angels games because of people standing up at times or because of beach balls? 

It takes away from my enjoyment of the game, yes.   I never said it would keep me away.  I may shy away from spending the money to sit near the dugouts, though.

1 hour ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Um, no. It's not PR at all. It's liability issues and the right thing to do.

MLB already came out with a recommendation to extend netting all the way to the end of the dugout. The next person who got hurt by a fall ball in an area that was recommended to be protected by a net, and wasn't, would have an incredible and financially rewarding lawsuit against that stadium and team. Any lawyer who couldn't get large money out of that situation should be disbarred.

I'm not advocating for everyone living in bubble wrap. However, not doing obvious safety features, especially when minimally obtrusive is equally foolish.

I’m in total agreement with this. Should the spring training ballparks be handled any differently?