• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angel Stadium to have full protective netting behind dugouts

Chuck

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

don't really want to bring my family to a game where I have to be on guard for every pitch and potentially protect 3 people from what amounts to a rock being slung at 100+mph.  

maybe you should have to prove that you've played at least two years of high school varsity baseball in order to come to a game.  

people objecting to this probably also object to kids being in car seats or boosters.  'I never got hurt'  

Right now you have a choice to sit behind the net if you want to bring your kids and play on your phone. You can also sit in the view level or in the outfield if you are concerned. If people think that fans need to be made more aware of the dangers of batted balls then I can agree with that, but at some point we have to ask why a father is taking his wife and small children to a game and sitting behind a dugout with no netting. I am not against netting, but the idea that we are going to have to net the whole stadium is absurd.

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

don't really want to bring my family to a game where I have to be on guard for every pitch and potentially protect 3 people from what amounts to a rock being slung at 100+mph.  

maybe you should have to prove that you've played at least two years of high school varsity baseball in order to come to a game.  

people objecting to this probably also object to kids being in car seats or boosters.  'I never got hurt'  

Sit in 541

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Right now you have a choice to sit behind the net if you want to bring your kids and play on your phone. You can also sit in the view level or in the outfield if you are concerned. If people think that fans need to be made more aware of the dangers of batted balls then I can agree with that, but at some point we have to ask why a father is taking his wife and small children to a game and sitting behind a dugout with no netting. I am not against netting, but the idea that we are going to have to net the whole stadium is absurd.

can you catch or block a 110mph ball coming out your head when you are sitting next to a friend chit chatting and enjoying a beer?  You can educate people all you want.  The average fan can't react to that.  If they're going to cover the entire field then I agree it's silly.  

they have batted ball data and should use it to strategically place the netting

26 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

can you catch or block a 110mph ball coming out your head when you are sitting next to a friend chit chatting and enjoying a beer?  You can educate people all you want.  The average fan can't react to that.  If they're going to cover the entire field then I agree it's silly.  

they have batted ball data and should use it to strategically place the netting

I disagree that we are at the mercy of fate. We are talking ~200+ feet away in the currently non-netted sections. The proposal is to extend the current nets down to the foul poles. This is all legal maneuvering. There will always be a non-zero chance of getting hurt and that will always be used as justification. 

2 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I disagree that we are at the mercy of fate. We are talking ~200+ feet away in the currently non-netted sections. The proposal is to extend the current nets down to the foul poles. This is all legal maneuvering. There will always be a non-zero chance of getting hurt and that will always be used as justification. 

where did I mention being at the mercy of fate.  

use the data.  they've got it.  it's not black or white.  If people are still getting hurt on a regular basis then you have your answer.  It should, however, be somewhat predictable.  what's an acceptable non zero risk?  

and of course there is some legal maneuvering.  tell me where in the real world that doesn't exist?  It's also a media related response which is unfortunate but part of reality.  

For me personally, we have never picked seats on the field level unless they were behind the net.  Now I have more options.  Some of which are likely cheaper.    

9 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

where did I mention being at the mercy of fate.  

use the data.  they've got it.  it's not black or white.  If people are still getting hurt on a regular basis then you have your answer.  It should, however, be somewhat predictable.  what's an acceptable non zero risk?  

and of course there is some legal maneuvering.  tell me where in the real world that doesn't exist?  It's also a media related response which is unfortunate but part of reality.  

For me personally, we have never picked seats on the field level unless they were behind the net.  Now I have more options.  Some of which are likely cheaper.    

When you talk about data and the improbability of dodging a 110 mph ball off the bat you are taking all responsibility off of the fan and putting it on bad luck. 

"What is an acceptable non-zero risk?" The answer is "none" and everything you say afterwords is why. Legal reasons, media response, fan expectations, etc. Expanding the nets will continue until the risk level reaches 0 because the fallout from one teenager on their phone getting hit with a ball is gona negate any unquantifiable positives from the improved fan experience of the other 30,000 people.

11 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

When you talk about data and the improbability of dodging a 110 mph ball off the bat you are taking all responsibility off of the fan and putting it on bad luck. 

"What is an acceptable non-zero risk?" The answer is "none" and everything you say afterwords is why. Legal reasons, media response, fan expectations, etc. Expanding the nets will continue until the risk level reaches 0 because the fallout from one teenager on their phone getting hit with a ball is gona negate any unquantifiable positives from the improved fan experience of the other 30,000 people.

I'm not sure how it's fate or bad luck as opposed to unreasonable risk.  It becomes unreasonable because of the likelihood or unlikelihood of a fan who is paying attention to be able to defend themselves and the potential damage it could cause if they don't.  Just like it's reasonable for a fan to be responsible for a popup.    

you're taking it to the opposite extreme.  it's gonna go to the ends of the dugouts.  If they cover the entire field, then I'll grab my pitchfork.  doing what they have proposed is reasonable for now.  guys are bigger, stronger and hit the ball harder and on top of that, the ball is wound more tightly than it's ever been.  

14 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I'm not sure how it's fate or bad luck as opposed to unreasonable risk.  It becomes unreasonable because of the likelihood or unlikelihood of a fan who is paying attention to be able to defend themselves and the potential damage it could cause if they don't.  Just like it's reasonable for a fan to be responsible for a popup.    

you're taking it to the opposite extreme.  it's gonna go to the ends of the dugouts.  If they cover the entire field, then I'll grab my pitchfork.  doing what they have proposed is reasonable for now.  guys are bigger, stronger and hit the ball harder and on top of that, the ball is wound more tightly than it's ever been.  

It already goes to the end of the dug out, they are going to extend it to the foul pole. 

8 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

With the way things are going section 541 will eventually be behind the net.

Seems that way  

People bring up the woman that died as a result of a foul ball at Doyyer Stadium last year ... she was on the loge level. .. she was older.   And possibly frail as f

3rd death in 100 years. Attending baseball games is pretty  safe

17 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So why do people think they will extend the netting up to 541?

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I really don’t understand the other side of the net argument.  If you don’t see the danger sitting beyond third base then you simply don’t want to see it.  

541 is on the other side of the net... 

The game may be marginally safer but at the cost of a worse product and fan experience.

It's like everything else. Some people see the change as progress, others see it as a decline.

Will baseball be better off with nets?

I'm leaning toward "no" but we'll see.

People born today will know nothing other than nets at baseball games.

And that's unfortunate.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I had seats in 226 for a couple of seasons and a handful of times we’d see people get drilled and inevitably walk up the stairs holding a bloody towel to their face.  

And never once did you say, "I wish they would put up nets in front of my seats"