• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Source: Angels "have to be" in on Darvish

Second Base

8 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Nothing about this off-season has been normal -- for as slow as it's been it's at least been interesting and everything on the Angels front has been a positive.   Anyone speaking in absolutes still hasn't been paying attention -- prolly gonna be a wild ride once one of the remaining names signs.  

There are a few guys that really would be well served taking a one year pillow contract and re-entering the FA pool next season, Moustakas maybe more than anyone.

Is a god damn Sith!

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/01/09/angels-spring-training-primer-starting-rotation-2/

MOVES THEY COULD MAKE

With so many questions about their top starters, the Angels certainly could use another established arm to provide some insurance. Yu Darvish, Jake Arrieta, Lance Lynn and Alex Cobb are still sitting on the free-agent market. Any of them would upgrade the rotation. The Angels seem unlikely to spend $15 million to $20 million a year, and a second-round draft pick, for one of these pitchers. The next level of free-agent options includes pitchers like Andrew Cashner and Jaime Garcia, whose performances and injury histories carry red flags. If they are to add another starter, it is more likely to be another young starter with options. Ideally, they could find another Bridwell.

Jeff Fletcher

Darvish may cost the most but won't cost a draft pick since he was traded at the deadline.

I dont think there is a snowball's chance in hell the Angels sign Darvish. I know Eppler is tight-lipped, but there is no smoke at all surrounding the Angels and Darvish. I think if they were interested, there would be some press, however minimal, connecting them.

presuming Darvish 5yr offer is around 5/125.  

puts the team over the lux tax.  I don't see them being ready for that.  

Maybe next year although the FA SP options aren't really all that great.  

We've made some nice improvements, but we might want to wait and see if they work before paying a lux tax penalty.  

The Angels and Andrew Cashner on a one year deal might be interesting.  He'd be a good guy to have at the back end of a six man rotation to eat some innings, plus he has shown some really good potential in the past.  Obviously, this is only if the Angels are looking for another SP arm.

36 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

The Angels and Andrew Cashner on a one year deal might be interesting.  He'd be a good guy to have at the back end of a six man rotation to eat some innings, plus he has shown some really good potential in the past.  Obviously, this is only if the Angels are looking for another SP arm.

Isn't Cashner is groundball pitcher? 

We might want to go for arms that generate a lot of ground balls since we have an excellent infield defense.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Why? 

1. Low risk

2. He was awesome for the first half least year, much better than Darvish. The claim he wore down after the TJ surgery makes sense. I don't expect him to be as good as first half or as bad as second half. 

3. Our pitching staff has high potential, but almost all have injury risk. Petit threw more innings than almost all those starters. 

I'd want Lynn but I want nothing to do with Darvish

4 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

He had maybe his best season last year after missing better parts of 2 seasons to TJ surgery. He won't be cheap and will cost a second round draft pick.

11 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

He had maybe his best season last year after missing better parts of 2 seasons to TJ surgery. He won't be cheap and will cost a second round draft pick.

The Rangers did not make him a qualifying offer, so the Angels would not lose a second round draft pick.  He also will not cost a lot compared to Darvish, Cobb and Lynn.

17 hours ago, wopphil said:

I dont think there is a snowball's chance in hell the Angels sign Darvish. I know Eppler is tight-lipped, but there is no smoke at all surrounding the Angels and Darvish. I think if they were interested, there would be some press, however minimal, connecting them.

There hasn't been any smoke on nearly any of the moves Epplers made.

7 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

The Rangers did not make him a qualifying offer, so the Angels would not lose a second round draft pick.  He also will not cost a lot compared to Darvish, Cobb and Lynn.

My bad, I quoted the wrong post, I meant to quote a post about Lance Lynn. Cashner didn't have TJ, Lynn did and Lynn will cost a draft pick.

26 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

I just wonder what makes them think this is the week he signs.  Anyways, I know I've been on board for the Angels to sign Darvish, and part of me still does.  But I think I'm ok going into the season with what we have and then look for possible upgrades, in season, if that is needed. 

On 1/22/2018 at 9:22 PM, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/01/09/angels-spring-training-primer-starting-rotation-2/

MOVES THEY COULD MAKE

With so many questions about their top starters, the Angels certainly could use another established arm to provide some insurance. Yu Darvish, Jake Arrieta, Lance Lynn and Alex Cobb are still sitting on the free-agent market. Any of them would upgrade the rotation. The Angels seem unlikely to spend $15 million to $20 million a year, and a second-round draft pick, for one of these pitchers. The next level of free-agent options includes pitchers like Andrew Cashner and Jaime Garcia, whose performances and injury histories carry red flags. If they are to add another starter, it is more likely to be another young starter with options. Ideally, they could find another Bridwell.

Jeff Fletcher

Darvish may cost the most but won't cost a draft pick since he was traded at the deadline.

That's correct. That was poorly written, on my part, to lump Darvish in with those guys.