• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bleacher Report Ranks Angels Farm System at #18

Chris

Yeesh, dodgers still a titan in the minor leagues. They are setting up a generation for the ages here. Yanks will also be scary moving forward. Amazing that the Braves are still #1.

All that being said...so psyched to see the change in the Angels system. I love the slow, under-the-radar, deliberate movements from Eppler. He is shockingly good at making every move count.

16 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

It's Bs to consider that Lewis and moniak are in the trier 1 rating, while guys like Jones and marsh; who have had more success and have the same potential are listen at trier 2 and have already shown the ability of a trier 1. 

Agreed

Agree with their 1-12 and 20-30.  

I think their 13-19 is pretty interchangeable.  

Their tier rankings for the halos are hard to disagree with.  I would probably put Jones and Marsh in Tier 1.  But of course I would.  That said, and argument could be made for Ward be a 3.  

We've got some top tier talent now, but a lot of the potential is still really really young.  

We're obviously going to lose Ohtani from the system, but a year is going to make a big difference one way or another.  

Just keeping adding and only subtracting when it's a graduate to the mlb club.   

I disagree with how their rank our top 10, and would consider Jones and Marsh both tier one (especially in comparison to others they gave tier 1 to). 

But other than that, looks fine to me. But I admit, I don't spend a ton of time on other organizations prospects. I've done my HW on the Rockies and Padres system though.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

The fact they ranked the Angels 30th last year is enough to discredit everything they say.

Seriously, after last years joke rankings the only reason the Angels aren't like 28th is because of the Ohtani hype.  They've fully been on the beat up the Angels train.  All BR is about with minor league baseball stuff is hype.  Its garbage.

17 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

the way they over value and obsess over the yankees and dodgers prospects is such laughable BS

Maybe it's because the Dodgers system is really good. In the last two years they've produced Bellinger and Seager. We're still touting how underrated our system is because we produced Kole Calhoun 5 years ago.

9 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Maybe it's because the Dodgers system is really good. In the last two years they've produced Bellinger and Seager. We're still touting how underrated our system is because we produced Kole Calhoun 5 years ago.

not disputing that they have a good development system.  Also, not giving our system...which has been trash....a pass.  I just think its amusing bullshit that they have like 20 "tier one" prospects.  Theres a narrative around some of these systems that doesn't exist entirely in reality.  To the benefit and detriment of certain teams.  If some of the dodgers or yankees guys weren't dodgers or yankees.  I don't believe they'd be "tier one" on a team like the Angels.  Jones would be a tier one prospect if he was a dodgers guy.

29 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Not necessarily. Our farm ranked poorly when we had Trout, Richards, Segura, Calhoun and Cron in it, which just sort of shows how well the narrative matches the results. 

And now that the Angels actually have upside that is performing, they've still been judged poorly. When you look at who MLB.com has put in their top 100, you could make a legitimate argument the Angels could have seven prospects in the top 100 (Ohtani, Maitan, Adell, Jones, Barria, Canning and Marsh) which would make this the top farm system in baseball.

Now that's a bit aggressive, but if we were being ranked fairly without an inaccurate narrative attached the farm system, we'd still have four prospects in the top 100 (Ohtani, Maitan, Adell and Jones). Maybe five with Barria.

If a team have five players in the top 100, they probably have one if the top farms in the game. 

The fact that the Angels only have two, and those two are prospects that the Angels didn't draft or develop speaks volumes about how this farm is still being viewed.

And it isn't anyone's fault. No one person could pay as much attention to every farm system as they should. It's impossible. So they rely on what other people say, and those people will simply paraphrase what they see from BA, BP, MLB or ESPN, who rely on a scouting report from a non major league scout who saw the kid play once and made up his mind.

The end result is a lot of people that don't know what they're talking about. Then these kids make it to the major leagues and the rest of the world is blindsided by their performance as they were with Trout, Richards, Calhoun and Segura.

People forget, there was a time when Trout was ranked in the back half of the top 100. Even after making his MLB debut at 19, there were still sites that ranked him firmly behind Bryce Harper and Matt Moore.

This is an imperfect process with a lot of copying and a lot of biases in it.

32 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Not necessarily. Our farm ranked poorly when we had Trout, Richards, Segura, Calhoun and Cron in it, which just sort of shows how well the narrative matches the results. 

And now that the Angels actually have upside that is performing, they've still been judged poorly. When you look at who MLB.com has put in their top 100, you could make a legitimate argument the Angels could have seven prospects in the top 100 (Ohtani, Maitan, Adell, Jones, Barria, Canning and Marsh) which would make this the top farm system in baseball.

Now that's a bit aggressive, but if we were being ranked fairly without an inaccurate narrative attached the farm system, we'd still have four prospects in the top 100 (Ohtani, Maitan, Adell and Jones). Maybe five with Barria.

If a team have five players in the top 100, they probably have one if the top farms in the game. 

The fact that the Angels only have two, and those two are prospects that the Angels didn't draft or develop speaks volumes about how this farm is still being viewed.

And it isn't anyone's fault. No one person could pay as much attention to every farm system as they should. It's impossible. So they rely on what other people say, and those people will simply paraphrase what they see from BA, BP, MLB or ESPN, who rely on a scouting report from a non major league scout who saw the kid play once and made up his mind.

The end result is a lot of people that don't know what they're talking about. Then these kids make it to the major leagues and the rest of the world is blindsided by their performance as they were with Trout, Richards, Calhoun and Segura.

People forget, there was a time when Trout was ranked in the back half of the top 100. Even after making his MLB debut at 19, there were still sites that ranked him firmly behind Bryce Harper and Matt Moore.

This is an imperfect process with a lot of copying and a lot of biases in it.

This is why I would like them to do re-rankings 5-7 years later.  So BA or whoever can say, after further review the Angels farm in 2012 should have been ranked 5th or whatever it would amount too.  My issue with the ranking system is what you’ve brought up a few times Scotty. I don’t like that most rankings are too heavily graded on having that one star in the system.  Rather than a collection of really solid major league players that may not be All Stars or MVPs but they are everyday players or solid pitchers. 

32 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Can we now please send Baldoquin to Dipussy's team for some gumballs?

Why?  Eppler has jettisoned enough of the Dipoto guys.  If he thought Baldo was that bad he’d be gone.  The money has already been spent on him. 

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

This is why I would like them to do re-rankings 5-7 years later.  So BA or whoever can say, after further review the Angels farm in 2012 should have been ranked 5th or whatever it would amount too.  My issue with the ranking system is what you’ve brought up a few times Scotty. I don’t like that most rankings are too heavily graded on having that one star in the system.  Rather than a collection of really solid major league players that may not be All Stars or MVPs but they are everyday players or solid pitchers. 

That was the Angels system in 2012. 1 star and a few guys. 

If we exclude Trout (he's the star) has a farm system produced less WAR than the Angels over the last 5 seasons? Yes, excluding Trout is arbitrary, but the argument has been the system is/was more than Trout.

BR has Calhoun, Segura, and Richards combining for 33 WAR over their careers so far. We spend so much time bemoaning our ranking but how do we stack up to teams ranked ahead of us? Who should we have been ranked behind us? Who behind us should have been ranked ahead of us?