• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is JeDi having a meltdown?

eligrba4ever

A post on a Mariners' fan site described "internal" talks in the M's front office about Yu Darvish. It's not that Jerry Dipoto has actualy talked with Darvish or his reps. It's just talking among themselves in the Emerald City. 

So writers get to JD as he's leaving the office. And the Lookout Landing description, in part, follows:

"We have talked, internally, about what a player like Yu could do for this team and this season. It’s fun to think about, you know, the Seattle Mariners in the playoffs again. That’s a pretty neat thought." Dipoto seemed then to look wistfully past reporters into the distance before adding, "Wow..."

When Larry Stone of the Seattle Times reminded Dipoto that he was in fact General Manager of the Seattle Mariners Major League Baseball franchise, Dipoto again seemed to glaze over, before replying, "What if..."

When Darvish’s representatives were reached for comment, Joel Wolfe of Wasserman Media Group responded by saying that he had, in fact, been phoned by Dipoto several times, but that upon answering there would be either a "dial tone," "hushed, muffled voices telling each other to ‘shhhh,’" or "celebrity impersonations," or "impersonations of Yu himself, asking me whether he thought the Mariners liked him as more than a friend."

I looked at the story wistfully and said "Wow." And fell on the floor laughing. I'm glad Albert "fired" that fellow.

6 minutes ago, eligrba4ever said:

A post on a Mariners' fan site described "internal" talks in the M's front office about Yu Darvish. It's not that Jerry Dipoto has actualy talked with Darvish or his reps. It's just talking among themselves in the Emerald City. 

So writers get to JD as he's leaving the office. And the Lookout Landing description, in part, follows:

"We have talked, internally, about what a player like Yu could do for this team and this season. It’s fun to think about, you know, the Seattle Mariners in the playoffs again. That’s a pretty neat thought." Dipoto seemed then to look wistfully past reporters into the distance before adding, "Wow..."

When Larry Stone of the Seattle Times reminded Dipoto that he was in fact General Manager of the Seattle Mariners Major League Baseball franchise, Dipoto again seemed to glaze over, before replying, "What if..."

When Darvish’s representatives were reached for comment, Joel Wolfe of Wasserman Media Group responded by saying that he had, in fact, been phoned by Dipoto several times, but that upon answering there would be either a "dial tone," "hushed, muffled voices telling each other to ‘shhhh,’" or "celebrity impersonations," or "impersonations of Yu himself, asking me whether he thought the Mariners liked him as more than a friend."

I looked at the story wistfully and said "Wow." And fell on the floor laughing. I'm glad Albert "fired" that fellow.

Sounds legit. 

I doubt Dipoto is losing it. He was under a ton of pressure here after spending on Pujols, Wilson and Hamilton as well as the emergence of Trout. Dipoto kept his cool when the team underperformed. The only time he made a rash decision is when the management stopped using his shifting advice. He walked and the media played it off like it was Scioscia and Moreno's fault.

My guess is, this is fan fiction. The fans have every reason to be pissed at Dipoto right now. Their payroll is inflated, their roster is aging, their farm has quickly been depleted and they haven't sniffed playoff contention in a very long time.

Not only that, the best player in Japanese history just passed on the team with Japanese ownership, and a long history of signing Japanese players. On top of all of that, Dipoto doubled down, then doubled down again by spending prospects and making trades to acquire more international money.

Now he's got a ton of international money, no elite prospects to spend it on, no Ohtani, no prospects, a new young 1B that has a.301 OBP, and a 2B that isn't thrilled about moving to CF, an experiment that could sink the team in 2018.

So yeah, fans are mad. They're beginning to see why Angel fans are quite happy he's gone.

41 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I doubt Dipoto is losing it. He was under a ton of pressure here after spending on Pujols, Wilson and Hamilton as well as the emergence of Trout. Dipoto kept his cool when the team underperformed. The only time he made a rash decision is when the management stopped using his shifting advice. He walked and the media played it off like it was Scioscia and Moreno's fault.

My guess is, this is fan fiction. The fans have every reason to be pissed at Dipoto right now. Their payroll is inflated, their roster is aging, their farm has quickly been depleted and they haven't sniffed playoff contention in a very long time.

Not only that, the best player in Japanese history just passed on the team with Japanese ownership, and a long history of signing Japanese players. On top of all of that, Dipoto doubled down, then doubled down again by spending prospects and making trades to acquire more international money.

Now he's got a ton of international money, no elite prospects to spend it on, no Ohtani, no prospects, a new young 1B that has a.301 OBP, and a 2B that isn't thrilled about moving to CF, an experiment that could sink the team in 2018.

So yeah, fans are mad. They're beginning to see why Angel fans are quite happy he's gone.

I would say that's a pretty accurate analysis Scotty.  Good summary of his predicament.

27 minutes ago, calscuf said:

In Jerry's defense, Seattle is probably the shittiest big city in America.  It's dirty, drab, never has a real summer and is filled with the country's most depressing and unattractive people.  Hell, even the frozen cities in the Midwest and East get shorts weather for 3 months.  

He's a NY area pretty boy at heart.  Imagine having to deal with 1 million moody cezeros every day.

Cut the guy some fucking slack.

in jerry's defense, this never happened.