• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

My unpopular opinion regarding Albert Pujols

beatlesrule

He needs to give Roger Federer a call. 38 is old, but he's a DH/1B - it is not like he is jumping around at shortstop or in centerfield. A "38" year old, especially an all-time great, should still be able to hit. 

As I said a few years ago, his decline pattern better fits a player 3-4 years older than he is. His 2017 makes more sense if he was actually 40-41.

1 hour ago, laagamer said:

Playing him at 1B the whole season will run his knees into the goddamn ground. He's gonna end up on the DL. And the worst part is, that would actually be advantageous for us

I think you just hit on the Answer. Push him hard, so hard that he can't play any more or even DH. Then he will see it's time hang it up.

32 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I think you just hit on the Answer. Push him hard, so hard that he can't play any more or even DH. Then he will see it's time hang it up.

It's terrible to say, and I truly feel bad. I don't want it to happen that way. But if they play him at 1B all season, it will. His legs won't take it anymore. And the worst part is, as I said, it will actually be beneficial for us.

This scenario would truly be sad. 

5 minutes ago, laagamer said:

It's terrible to say, and I truly feel bad. I don't want it to happen that way. But if they play him at 1B all season, it will. His legs won't take it anymore. And the worst part is, as I said, it will actually be beneficial for us.

This scenario would truly be sad. 

I'd rather be thought of as a classy organization and not do something like this.  Bad karma to try to run a player out so much that they fall apart.  

Everyone, Pujols included is aware of how bad he was last year. He can't be thrilled that he's getting trolled by infielders and called out as the slowest and worst. According to him and the team he's had a surgery-free off season to get in better shape and review what went wrong. They don't expect to see 2017 Pujols in 2018. It's entirely possible that he's as bad again but as a fan of the Angels and baseball in general I'm willing to give him the chance to redeem himself before I declare him dead

9 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

Fuck class. Blow his knees out and save 120 million. It’s not bad karma. We’re paying him 30 million a year to play baseball. He will do as he’s told.

Sorry, I can't get on board with that.  Operating like a first class organization who treats their players well will help us attract more players in the future, in addition to attracting more front office talent, etc.  Would you want to work for an employer that you knew ran someone into the ground to get rid of them?  I sure wouldn't.  It's about forward-thinking and creating a great culture that everyone would love to be a part of.

You play him at first because he is getting paid 27 million.  Don't let him take the easy way out and just DH.  Make him earn as much of that 27 million as possible. 

For the users here posting batting lineups with Pujols batting 5th or 6th, what are you basing that off of?  There has been no evidence to suggest Scioscia would bat Pujols any lower than 4th.  Is every lineup just your ideal lineup and not the one Scioscia would do? 

20 hours ago, Rico said:

If we paid 75% of his contract would another team take him? Because at this point I think Cron is better, and I'm no fan of Cron

I highly doubt it.  There's really no incentive for another team to take him, even at a reduced cost.  You're not getting any of the "equity" in the Pujols name at this point, since everyone is well aware that he's way past his prime.  Even at something like $7M a year, you can pretty easily find someone who'd be better than him.

7 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

I highly doubt it.  There's really no incentive for another team to take him, even at a reduced cost.  You're not getting any of the "equity" in the Pujols name at this point, since everyone is well aware that he's way past his prime.  Even at something like $7M a year, you can pretty easily find someone who'd be better than him.

How many players make $7M per year or less, and have driven in 100 runs.  I'd like to see that list from last year.

EDIT:  I just did a quick look at players in both leagues that had Pujol's total of 101 RBI last year (21 players).  I don't have their exact salaries, but I didn't see any likely $7M or less players on that list, other than controllable players like Aaron Judge..

7 minutes ago, tomsred said:

How many players make $7M per year or less, and have driven in 100 runs.  I'd like to see that list from last year.

EDIT:  I just did a quick look at players in both leagues that had Pujol's total of 101 RBI last year (21 players).  I don't have their exact salaries, but I didn't see any likely $7M or less players on that list.

Marcel Azuna 124 RBI $3.5 million

Aaron Judge 114 RBI $554K

Khris Davis 119 RBI $5 million

Anthony Rizzo 109 RBI $7 million

Johnathan School 105 RBI $3.475 million

Jake Lamb 104 RBI $573k

Charlie Blackmon 104 RBI $7.3 million

Mookie Betts 102 RBI $830k

Nick Costellanos 101 RBI $3 million

Nomar Mazara 101 RBI $545k

Travis Shaw 101 RBI $545k

Anthony Rendon 100 RBI $5.8 million

13 hours ago, Blarg said:

Marcel Azuna 124 RBI $3.5 million

Aaron Judge 114 RBI $554K

Khris Davis 119 RBI $5 million

Anthony Rizzo 109 RBI $7 million

Johnathan School 105 RBI $3.475 million

Jake Lamb 104 RBI $573k

Charlie Blackmon 104 RBI $7.3 million

Mookie Betts 102 RBI $830k

Nick Costellanos 101 RBI $3 million

Nomar Mazara 101 RBI $545k

Travis Shaw 101 RBI $545k

Anthony Rendon 100 RBI $5.8 million

Thanks.  A number of these are controlled players.  But overall, there are more than I thought.  Okay, so how do we get one of these guys to replace Pujols without eating all of Pujol's contract?

22 minutes ago, tomsred said:

So I guess that's the end of this discussion?

Nope, I'm sure this conversation will be repeated and repeated until  the end of time - or 2021, whichever comes first.  

The backloading of this contract probably seemed a good idea at the time - but makes it nearly impossible for him to walk away.   Sure, it costs more - money now is worth more than money later - but if we'd have front-loaded it, he'd find it much easier to walk away.  Owing him, what, $114m over the next four years?  He's not going anywhere.   

I mean, look at Fielder - he announced he would no longer play; but didn't retire - he wanted the money.   Pujols won't retire even if he's in a wheelchair - why should he?  

1 hour ago, beatlesrule said:

Because it's the right, ethical thing to do and he claims that he is a man of God.

Look at what Simon Despres did walking away from money for the Anaheim Ducks by agreeing with buyout, he could have easily proven that he's not healthy to play hockey & the buyout would have lead to the team being penalized. The amount of Fans say thanks to Pujols for retiring would be endless, he'd be seen as a hero.

Given that he is reportedly injury free this off season, a key indicator will be ST groundhog day#1.   

If his shadow is easy to see, the full figured 2017 version, it will suggest his excuse of not being able to properly train in the off season because of injury was BS.  The Angels will once again be encumbered with The old, fat, GIDP Machine who will continue his reign as MLB's worst MOTO player.

If his shadow is harder to see, reflects a downsize of 30-40lbs, it will suggest he is at least invested in improving his performance, although at his age (whatever it is) an extended pause in his steady decline may be the most realistic expectation.

10 minutes ago, 70runner said:

If his shadow is harder to see, reflects a downsize of 30-40lbs, it will suggest he is at least invested in improving his performance, although at his age (whatever it is) an extended pause in his steady decline may be the most realistic expectation.

He’s 37

All Pujols needs to do is drop his Home Run schtick and just try to make good contact with the baseball, whether it is in on the plate, or on the outside of the plate. He needs to be concentrated on hitting doubles, and getting on base. 

His pulling the ball is not only killing his average, but is driving his GIDP through the roof. 

He does NOT have the same power he (supposedly) used to have, and his job from this point forward needs to be getting hits when we need it most. 

The thing is he is GOOD at making solid contact. When he starts thinking Home Runs you can see it in his swing and it ruins him.