• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Pursuing Ohtani

totdprods

59 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

I read an article a couple of days ago saying this. And with the Padres interview being the last one, i would not be surprised if it was them.  The only negative there would be their ability to let him play 2 ways. That stadium will kill any hitters power stats. Playing in the NL West would have him hitting in SF, LA,SD; 3 of the toughest parks for hitters.

If he's not with us, I hope he's there. 

1 hour ago, greginpsca said:

I read an article a couple of days ago saying this. And with the Padres interview being the last one, i would not be surprised if it was them.  The only negative there would be their ability to let him play 2 ways. That stadium will kill any hitters power stats. Playing in the NL West would have him hitting in SF, LA,SD; 3 of the toughest parks for hitters.

Good point, although Angel Stadium could be considered similarly tough for LHH's to hit for power.   Come to think of it, so is Safeco Field?

All five West Coast parks on his list of 7 teams are tough on LHH's who hit for power.  

6 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I think personally when there is a piece that looks like a perfect fit, you just pay the fair price and don't get cute.  It is perfectly fine for the other team to be happy and have a round of high fives.

You make a deal and pay a fair price.  You don't need to to always "win" the trade if your "win" is you land exactly what you need.

I always use the same analogy.  You are putting together a show car.  You have 90% done and you need a bumper and a hood.  It is fine to overpay a bit to get those last critical pieces so that you have a complete car.  So the bumper guy sees your need and edges the price up.  It is what it is.

Buy the bumper.  You need it.

Obviously you don't willingly get crushed but a small overpay to get the exactly "perfect piece" is more smart than stupid.  The roster as a whole is always going to be more important that the cost of one piece.

I imagine the car owner at the car show, showing the car with no bumper or the wrong bumper.  Hey good for him.  He held his ground and refused to overpay by $400.  And that's the explaining he is doing to everyone as the car next to him wins best in show. . .

this is a great post. i can really relate to it. 

5 hours ago, Stradling said:

Ok.  Everything we’ve read says he wants to be a two way player.  He also asked for an outline of how he’d be utilized.  If they aren’t planning to give him regular at bats in the DH spot then he probably won’t consider us a contender for his services.  Now it’s totally possible that the narrative of him wanting to be a two way player is being overstated, but I wouldn’t assume that at all. 

we live in a world where people believe what they want to believe irregardless of the evidence in front of them. the gm of the baseball team flat out tells you what they have planned if they sign him, screw that, i've got my own ideas and they're just as meaningful as the gm's.

2 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Gotta be one of the teams who only had $300K right? Cubs? Giants? Padres?

Angels could keep loading up and use it on Braves prospects if Ohtani goes elsewhere haha. Wonder if perhaps it's one of the teams with more money trying to get a leg up before another team has more $$$ to offer.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

I take that as a good sign actually...means they didn't feel comfortable enough in their current standing and needed to try and add more money to the pot, and we've seen money isn't Shohei's driving factor.

Exactly what I was thinking.