• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Marte Seriously?

Hubs

Why do people like Jefry Marte and see him as anything more than a AAAA player?

His numbers last year were atrocious, his power flash from the previous season disappeared and his OBP is awful and has always been awful. I understand some guys are late bloomers, but he is not even a bench bat in my opinion, let alone a starting candidate or platoon guy.

Chicks and Angelswin.com posters love the long ball I guess.

I see him mentioned all the time in threads about 3B as a platoon partner mainly or the Angels corner infield bench option.

Current Realistic Depth Chart

1B - Cron - Valbuena - Pujols - Cowart - Calhoun - Marte

3B - Valbuena - Cowart - Fontana - Marte

After the Angels sign new 2B, 3B, and 1B, everyone else moves down a spot.

31 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Why do people like Jefry Marte and see him as anything more than a AAAA player?

His numbers last year were atrocious, his power flash from the previous season disappeared and his OBP is awful and has always been awful. I understand some guys are late bloomers, but he is not even a bench bat in my opinion, let alone a starting candidate or platoon guy.

Chicks and Angelswin.com posters love the long ball I guess.

Hello

You all are brutal lately. I have seen him brought up in every thread about 3B. As a fallback. I'd honestly rather have Adam out there playing third.

He was mentioned in ettin's primer.

And, you all know if he had a great spring training, people will be posting here to give him the job (assuming we went with Valbuena at 3rdd).

11 minutes ago, Hubs said:

You all are brutal lately. I have seen him brought up in every thread about 3B. As a fallback. I'd honestly rather have Adam out there playing third.

And, you all know if he had a great spring training, people will be posting here to give him the job (assuming we went with Valbuena at 3rdd).

haha I don't read this board very often. 

He's cheap and under club control so it's not like the Angels have to make a decision one way or another with Marte at this point.  The reason he's brought up as a possible platoon candidate with Valbuena is because 1)  He's on the roster, 2) Can play 3B better than a departing Lesscobar and 3)  He had a great 2nd half of 2016 (.275 .333 .871 OPS).  I highly doubt the Angels view him as plan A, B, or C but, as plan D, you could have worse options for what they are paying him.  

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

I mentioned Adam at 3B in my Primer? :D

Hubs to be honest Jefry Marte isn't the best choice to be our corner utility infielder but when you consider the other critical areas that Eppler will have to deploy resources at around the diamond, having Marte as an inexpensive back-up infielder could be a lot worse. Despite his bad 1st half in 2017 he does hit LHP well and plays decent defense at the corners. We could do a lot worse.

Besides he is likely to only pick up about 100 PA's give or take, he isn't likely to make or break our season I think.

Not even close Junky. This is not a meme.

Marte and players like him have always gotten me, I used to rail against Shawn Wooten, Benji Gil, or guys people thought had potential like JB Shuck. These are flash in the pan types who never end up panning out. I wish we hit on one like JD Martinez or Justin Turner, but these non-prospect turning into elites are not very common.