• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Yankees looking to acquire Profar in the next few days

Second Base

His last two seasons where he saw significant time he was literally no worse than what we've been trotting out at 2B recently. He's absolutely worth the risk and the Rangers definitely effed it up with him.

That said, we had better upgrade at 3B and 1B if we roll with him as a starting 2B. Ideally we just use him as UT IF, but we wouldn't be giving him a fair shake either at that point, so there'd need to be some give in playing time.

5 hours ago, Yellow Balloon said:

IMO he's never gotten a fair shake by the Rangers.  Once he recovered from the injury they tried using him all over the diamond and had little or no patience with him.  He was essentially a super utility guy playing for a manager who doesn't utilize the utility guy.  (For crying out loud Rougned Odor and his .204 average played all 162 games last year!!).  The Rangers either need to find a permanent place for him (not likely considering Andrus' and Odor's contracts) or set him free to some club in need of a 2B/SS.  His makeup and baseball IQ are off the charts and I think given the proper chance he'll succeed.    

what is it about his makeup and baseball IQ that is so amazing?

another point, he was the former number 1 overall pick, those guys tend to get a pretty fair shake from their parent club because they are so heavily invested in them.

1 hour ago, ukyah said:

what is it about his makeup and baseball IQ that is so amazing?

another point, he was the former number 1 overall pick, those guys tend to get a pretty fair shake from their parent club because they are so heavily invested in them.

Only going on what the scouts say.  They praise his love for the game.  Apparently he lives and breathes it.  Not that it matters now but he led Curacao to two Little League World Series finals, winning one of them.  Most people don't remember but the majority of teams wanted to sign him as a pitcher.  

The Rangers have given him opportunities but it's been sporadic.  He'd play 2nd base one night.  Have two or three days off.  Play SS, followed by more days off.  Play 1st or 3rd or LF and more days off.  It's hard to ask a 22 or 23 year old to be a SU guy when that's not what he was accustomed to in the minors.  He's never been given a chance to settle in at one position and have a consistent number of major league AB's.  He began last year as the starting left fielder, got off to slow start, and they shipped him back to Round Rock after about ten games.  Some team is going to give him a chance and it probably won't cost much.  The catch is the Rangers started his clock so early he'll be a FA in three or four years.  That and he has Boras for an agent.          

5 minutes ago, Yellow Balloon said:

Only going on what the scouts say.  They praise his love for the game.  Apparently he lives and breathes it.  Not that it matters now but he led Curacao to two Little League World Series finals, winning one of them.  Most people don't remember but the majority of teams wanted to sign him as a pitcher.  

The Rangers have given him opportunities but it's been sporadic.  He'd play 2nd base one night.  Have two or three days off.  Play SS, followed by more days off.  Play 1st or 3rd or LF and more days off.  It's hard to ask a 22 or 23 year old to be a SU guy when that's not what he was accustomed to in the minors.  He's never been given a chance to settle in at one position and have a consistent number of major league AB's.  He began last year as the starting left fielder, got off to slow start, and they shipped him back to Round Rock after about ten games.  Some team is going to give him a chance and it probably won't cost much.  The catch is the Rangers started his clock so early he'll be a FA in three or four years.  That and he has Boras for an agent.          

You are really digging when you go back to little league. The Rangers gave him lots of opportunities and he hasn't been productive. He has a career zero WAR and a career OPS+ 30% below league average. 

They tried to get him into the game the only way they could and that was a utility role, he's just not produced at the MLB level to take a position from another player. That's on him.

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

You are really digging when you go back to little league. The Rangers gave him lots of opportunities and he hasn't been productive. He has a career zero WAR and a career OPS+ 30% below league average. 

They tried to get him into the game the only way they could and that was a utility role, he's just not produced at the MLB level to take a position from another player. That's on him.

The Little League part was just an aside to emphasize his long-standing enthusiasm for the game.  That's why it was prefaced with "Not that it matters now."  Guess it didn't translate.  

And my point was perhaps he's just not suited to a utility role.  Few players his age are.  That's more of a veteran's role.  Fact is Profar is still young and we won't know what he's capable of unless he's put in the right situation with the right team.  That team clearly isn't the Rangers and it probably isn't the Yankees either.  I think some team -- some team that's patient with him allows him to settle in at one position -- is going is get a steal.  We'll see.     

An idea on what Profar may cost. Could be a little higher if the Angels are interested since we're in-division.

Texas is interested in the Yankees’ excess pitching whether Profar is in a deal or not. The list of pitchers who are at least a debate whether to stay on the 40-man or be put on despite eligibility includes Luis Cessa, Bryan Mitchell, Caleb Smith, Chasen Shreve, Ronald Herrera, Ben Heller, Jonathan Holder, Gio Gallegos, Cale Coshow, J.P. Feyersien and several others.

19 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I wouldn't mind Profar.  So, just to be clear, if the Yankees go and get him is this a good move or a bad move?  I get the impression that most people here would be opposed to getting him on the Angels.  

The Yankees don’t really need him. They’re already having trouble trying to protect their 40 man roster because of their deep farm according to Baseball America. (rule 5)

Sad but true

vvvvvvvvvvv

67BD5AAD-1130-48A8-8FCB-B1C54DE186B9.jpeg

I think he'd be a great addition if we went with a piecemeal approach to the infield, meaning we spent more dough on pitching instead of infield.

Something like a 1B upgrade that was a little tenuous (i.e., LoMo, Alonso) and Valbuena at 3B and Walker at 2B. 

Profar would be a great UT IF in that configuration because there'd be a good chance he'd get some ABs eventually because of one of those vets slumping, declining, platooning, being dealt/DFA'ed. He gets an opportunity to play with a countryman and a change of scenery and grow into a role. 

6 hours ago, Calzone said:

The Yankees don’t really need him. They’re already having trouble trying to protect their 40 man roster because of their deep farm according to Baseball America. (rule 5)

Sad but true

vvvvvvvvvvv

67BD5AAD-1130-48A8-8FCB-B1C54DE186B9.jpeg

i would love to take this guy on over the radio. the reason why the rule 5 exists is so that young players don't just toil away their careers in the minors because some team has garnered too many prospects to give enough opportunities to. the word lazy can cut a lot of different ways, ron.

8 minutes ago, disarcina said:

Profar worth a flyer -- and we need a 2B -- he would be an upgrade over what we'd be going with now.

If we did something big like Santana at 1B and Moose at 3B, I could live with lotto ticket Profar at 2B. Worst case scenario, Eppler can snag someone better and bump him to UT IF at some point.

But who leads off? Santana? Calhoun? Simmons?

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

If we did something big like Santana at 1B and Moose at 3B, I could live with lotto ticket Profar at 2B. Worst case scenario, Eppler can snag someone better and bump him to UT IF at some point.

But who leads off? Santana? Calhoun? Simmons?

I'm feeling like there are so many 1B and 2B options and do few 3B options that Eppler will strike quickly on a 3B platoon partner for Valbuena, and wait on the market to drop in late December to get something affordable at the other two spots.

Miami will get desperate enough to come down on their asking price for Dee Gordon and we end getting LoMo for a year and 10 million less than the original asking price. As for Profar, Texas will find that while teams are interested, no one will break the bank. Plus they'll be so short on pitching they'll take the best offer that gives them starting depth, which is us for Jewell and Scribner.

On 11/18/2017 at 8:39 PM, Scotty@AW said:

Now if it were me, I'd go all in on Stanton in RF and LoMo at 1B. With that much offense infused into the lineup, I think we could afford to take a shot on Profar at 2B.

I just cant see us offering more than other clubs to get Stanton.

And we arent a good fit. They dont need Cron (they have Bour), they dont need Maldonado (they have Realmuto). They wont want Valbuena. They would need Calhoun if they traded, but he is a FA in 2020 (though there is a team option).

Who else could we give up? Raid the farm AGAIN?????

They need pitching, but can we offer anything that isnt tainted by injury questions? And because we have so many of those question marks, can we afford to unload any of them?

1 hour ago, WeatherWonk said:

I just cant see us offering more than other clubs to get Stanton.

And we arent a good fit. They dont need Cron (they have Bour), they dont need Maldonado (they have Realmuto). They wont want Valbuena. They would need Calhoun if they traded, but he is a FA in 2020 (though there is a team option).

Who else could we give up? Raid the farm AGAIN?????

They need pitching, but can we offer anything that isnt tainted by injury questions? And because we have so many of those question marks, can we afford to unload any of them?

First of all if we are taking one of their outfielders, sending one back (Calhoun) is an obvious potential component of any trade.

On top of that rumors are swirling around all of the Marlins outfielders in trade discussion so any of our many outfield prospects would probably have appeal to Miami's front office (Jones, Adell, Marsh, Lund, Hermosillo, et al).

Third if we picked up Stanton and say, for instance, Martin Prado, the Marlins could be willing to take back someone like Valbuena who could play 3B for them in Martin's absence and could be dealt at the trade deadline. It would also help balance out payroll and cash issues in a potential Stanton trade.

The same could be said if we tried to get Justin Bour rolled into the trade and we sent C.J. Cron back or Dee Gordon and we send Kaleb Cowart to play 2B.

Not to mention pitching of which we have pieces that may be of interest such as Chris Rodriguez, Jose Soriano, Nate Smith, Parker Bridwell, et al.

Even sending one or more relievers could pique Jeter and company. For instance if we offered up Bedrosian, Parker, or Middleton as a piece of the Stanton puzzle.

We do have plenty that would interest them, it really comes down to what satisfies Miami most and in my opinion we have just as good a shot at him as anyone else, i.e. 10%-15% maximum actual chance. Our one plus is that we are on the West Coast which is where Giancarlo wants to be.