• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Yankees looking to acquire Profar in the next few days

Second Base

And therefore, Billy Eppler is interested in acquiring Jurickson Profar in the next few days.

He checks off everything Eppler looks for...

- Former top prospect

- High OBP

- Positiomal versatility

- Buy low candidate.

The Rangers have of course stated they see no need in trading Profar, but this is posturing. The fact is they've had plenty of opportunity to get him into the lineup and have chosen instead to keep him in AAA, even in September. Profar is out of minor league options and must remain on the major league roster.

This is a case where he has proved he is no longer a minor league player but his time in the majors says he doesn't belong there either. 

It could be he just can't play for Texas, a mental block caused by early injuries and shuttling back and forth from the minors. Or he could just not be able to play in the majors like Brandon Wood, a guy with tools everywhere but between the ears.

19 minutes ago, Blarg said:

This is a case where he has proved he is no longer a minor league player but his time in the majors says he doesn't belong there either. 

It could be he just can't play for Texas, a mental block caused by early injuries and shuttling back and forth from the minors. Or he could just not be able to play in the majors like Brandon Wood, a guy with tools everywhere but between the ears.

Sounds like a Cowart description.

36 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

without options, he's approaching DFA territory.  I agree he's a good Eppler target but i'd have a hard time outright handing him the 2b job for 2018 unless of course we made significant moves in other areas.  Would I take a flyer on him though?  Sure.  

I think they'd acquire him as the utility infielder and a lottery ticket in case Valbuena can't get it together.

Can someone explain to me: once you're out of options, does that mean for your entire professional career, or do you get more options after you're DFA'd and get picked up by a new team? Obviously a team would like having a player with options, just for roster flexibility if he doesn't work out and I'm sure a player may be relieved once he's out of options. 

5 minutes ago, jordan111280 said:

Profar will be 25 at the start of next season.  That's still very young. I'd take him.

Or 16 again before being replaced by one of the Rangers prospects.

Profar would do well with countryman Simmons, even if just as a UT IF.

Both out of options, both possibly being squeezed out...Cron obviously has the advantage in big league production, but Profar still has significant upside.

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Or 16 again before being replaced by one of the Rangers prospects.

Profar would do well with countryman Simmons, even if just as a UT IF.

Both out of options, both possibly being squeezed out...Cron obviously has the advantage in big league production, but Profar still has significant upside.

That's right. Simmons and him are from the same neck of the woods.  Didn't Profar perform well in the WBC last year?  I remember him hitting a big HR. 

1 minute ago, jordan111280 said:

That's right. Simmons and him are from the same neck of the woods.  Didn't Profar perform well in the WBC last year?  I remember him hitting a big HR. 

Him and Simmons (and Bogaerts) were studs in the WBC together, all from the same area. I think it would be a great environment for him, and even if he doesn't pan out, he has the defense and versatility and upside to be a really intriguing UT IF.

I'm calling it, Profar to Anaheim in return for Troy Scribner and Jake Jewell.

Scrib gives the Rangers the rotation depth they need and Jewell is a lock to be a quality reliever in the big leagues with his stuff, and has the potential to pitch in the rotation or cover 2-3 innings in relief like Petit or Miller do.

Profar finds a home with the Angels and eventually develops into a very good starting 2B/3B.

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

Scrib gives the Rangers the rotation depth they need and Jewell is a lock to be a quality reliever in the big leagues with his stuff, and has the potential to pitch in the rotation or cover 2-3 innings in relief like Petit or Miller do.

Profar finds a home with the Angels and eventually develops into a very good starting 2B/3B.

i think, no.

3 hours ago, Angel Dog and Beer said:

Can someone explain to me: once you're out of options, does that mean for your entire professional career, or do you get more options after you're DFA'd and get picked up by a new team? Obviously a team would like having a player with options, just for roster flexibility if he doesn't work out and I'm sure a player may be relieved once he's out of options. 

Once you are out of options it is for the remainder of your career as I currently understand it. Every prospect entering the Majors has 3 options and basically if you exceed 20 days in the Majors you burn one (have to double check that but I believe that is the number).

2 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Why are you so willing to over pay for a guy that may not last through the spring training cut?

IMO he's never gotten a fair shake by the Rangers.  Once he recovered from the injury they tried using him all over the diamond and had little or no patience with him.  He was essentially a super utility guy playing for a manager who doesn't utilize the utility guy.  (For crying out loud Rougned Odor and his .204 average played all 162 games last year!!).  The Rangers either need to find a permanent place for him (not likely considering Andrus' and Odor's contracts) or set him free to some club in need of a 2B/SS.  His makeup and baseball IQ are off the charts and I think given the proper chance he'll succeed.