• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

greginpsca

Rays finalized a trade for Corey Dickerson to the Pirates - they got back RP Daniel Hudson and IF Tristan Gray. 

By adding another vet to their pen, it makes it more likely the Angels' Cron return could be a minor-league reliever, and by adding yet another decent MIF prospect, increases the odds that the Angels get Gray (possible), Lowe (unlikely), or Solak (too good to be true) as Cron return.

Rays are crazy stocked with IF prospects, organizational LHP depth, and 4th OF types. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/02/diamondbacks-to-sign-jarrod-dyson.html

Cheap deal 2/3.5M per would had been an ideal 4th OF..... Oh well!~

1.5M more than Chris Young! But, I also don't see CY playing a full season as he just now 2 days after he signed has a calf issue..... The dude is brittle and not very good!

relatingg to the yankee's prospects, I feel as if there system is pretty overhyped. Looking over there scouting report and taking with a few yankees.  I think only Torres had to be a stud, while Sheffield being a solid stater. 

s few projects and their comps/ roles

Adam's- he only has developed 2 pitches so far, him being a number 3 or a bp arm is his third pitch.

Abreu- high BB rate and inconsistent offspeeds. 

Florial- I'm actually pretty high on him, similar to Jones, just need to See him in the upper levels 

Andujar- David Freeze 

7 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

relatingg to the yankee's prospects, I feel as if there system is pretty overhyped. Looking over there scouting report and taking with a few yankees.  I think only Torres had to be a stud, while Sheffield being a solid stater. 

s few projects and their comps/ roles

Adam's- he only has developed 2 pitches so far, him being a number 3 or a bp arm is his third pitch.

Abreu- high BB rate and inconsistent offspeeds. 

Florial- I'm actually pretty high on him, similar to Jones, just need to See him in the upper levels 

Andujar- David Freeze 

They had "Big Game" James Kaprielian who was part of the package they dealt to the A's for Sonny Gray... Another bully arm that will be moving ahead this year probably up to AA is Garrett Mundell....

13 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

Dodgers Trayce Thompson is out of options  .... might not make the 25 man roster with Kemp blocking him. I like this kid! 

liked what i saw of him a few years ago. might be worth kicking the tires on this one.

9 hours ago, greginpsca said:

Cleveland might lose RHP Ryan Merritt to  waivers, as he is out of options.

14 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

Dodgers Trayce Thompson is out of options

Like both these guys, but Merrit would mean one of our SPs like Bridwell, Heaney, or Shoemaker go to AAA (or someone to DL) or Ramirez not make the team - either JC or Noe. Or he replaces Alvarez, who also is out of options, but has also been fairly steady.

Trayce means Jabari likely gets DFA'ed, and we'd have to carry two OFs on the bench with Rivera. Not likely....

10 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Like both these guys, but Merrit would mean one of our SPs like Bridwell, Heaney, or Shoemaker go to AAA (or someone to DL) or Ramirez not make the team - either JC or Noe. Or he replaces Alvarez, who also is out of options, but has also been fairly steady.

Trayce means Jabari likely gets DFA'ed, and we'd have to carry two OFs on the bench with Rivera. Not likely....

We don't necessarily have to do a "like for like" move.  If Thompson becomes available, we can DFA someone from another position.  Carlos Perez is a goner (no options left, no MLB roster space for him), so we could always DFA Perez and add Thompson.  Including Perez, we have 4 catchers on the 40-man roster, which is probably unnecessary, anyway.  3 is sufficient.

32 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

We don't necessarily have to do a "like for like" move.  If Thompson becomes available, we can DFA someone from another position.  Carlos Perez is a goner (no options left, no MLB roster space for him), so we could always DFA Perez and add Thompson.  Including Perez, we have 4 catchers on the 40-man roster, which is probably unnecessary, anyway.  3 is sufficient.

If Thompson is out of options, doesn't that mean we have to keep him on the big league club, otherwise risk losing him to waivers?

I know we could make room on the 40, that's not the problem though. We would have to go with a 12-man staff or without an IF on the bench if we carried both Young and Thompson.

Merrit makes more sense, but adding another optionless pitcher could complicate our staff more than the value we'd receive in a trade for him, unless we start seeing some injuries. It'd make it even trickier to shuttle SPs through the 6th SP/long-relief role.

13 minutes ago, totdprods said:

If Thompson is out of options, doesn't that mean we have to keep him on the big league club, otherwise risk losing him to waivers?

I know we could make room on the 40, that's not the problem though. We would have to go with a 12-man staff or without an IF on the bench if we carried both Young and Thompson.

Merrit makes more sense, but adding another optionless pitcher could complicate our staff more than the value we'd receive in a trade for him, unless we start seeing some injuries. It'd make it even trickier to shuttle SPs through the 6th SP/long-relief role.

Ah you know, that's my bad, I was just thinking of the 40-man roster.

On the 25-man roster, I agree, we wouldn't really have space for him.  Probably not in the cards for us, considering we just signed Young to occupy that 4th OF role.

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Ah you know, that's my bad, I was just thinking of the 40-man roster.

On the 25-man roster, I agree, we wouldn't really have space for him.  Probably not in the cards for us, considering we just signed Young to occupy that 4th OF role.

We could snag these guys and try and pass them through waivers just the same, but I can't see Eppler burning any trade currency for guys like that, unless the Dogs or Indians really wanted Carlos Perez, Jefry Marte, Noe Ramirez, J.C. Ramirez, Blake Wood, or Jose Alvarez. That's about all we have on our own 'out-of-options' club to play with. 

I do think we will see Perez and maybe Marte get used in a trade like that - one optionless guy for another - but the 25-man really is pretty set right now barring injury. All we really need is one final infielder for the bench or an improvement in the pen, but I don't know if any out-of-options pitchers that will be available would be any better than our own guys - Alvarez, Noe and J.C., and Blake Wood. 

35 minutes ago, totdprods said:

We could snag these guys and try and pass them through waivers just the same, but I can't see Eppler burning any trade currency for guys like that, unless the Dogs or Indians really wanted Carlos Perez, Jefry Marte, Noe Ramirez, J.C. Ramirez, Blake Wood, or Jose Alvarez. That's about all we have on our own 'out-of-options' club to play with. 

I do think we will see Perez and maybe Marte get used in a trade like that - one optionless guy for another - but the 25-man really is pretty set right now barring injury. All we really need is one final infielder for the bench or an improvement in the pen, but I don't know if any out-of-options pitchers that will be available would be any better than our own guys - Alvarez, Noe and J.C., and Blake Wood. 

I'm guessing both Perez and Marte have zero trade value.  They'd be DFA'd to create space.  

21 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I'm guessing both Perez and Marte have zero trade value.  They'd be DFA'd to create space.  

I agree, neither have much trade value, but other teams will have similar value-less players who will be out of options. It's just a matter of needs matching up.

Reds have IF Dilson Herrera, former top 100 prospect (like Marte) who may get squeezed out this year. Marte could fit as the Reds corner-infielder and his power would play well in that ballpark, and he'd be a good stopgap until Nick Senzel arrived.

Another instance for a home for Perez would be Minnesota. Twins back-up catcher is Mitch Garver, who I know precisely nothing about, but he has two options remaining, so he could safely get sent to AAA. He does play some 1B/LF for them, so he has some versatility, but Logan Morrison is about to sign with the Twins and he can cover those positions as well. Minnesota's AAA catching depth is Bobby Wilson and Willians Astudillo - who is really getting closer to being more of a 1B - so bringing in an optionless Carlos Perez to be their primary big-league back-up makes sense, and a swap of him for Bard (so we can go without Rule V restrictions) works for both clubs.

12 minutes ago, nando714 said:

1B Logan Morrison signs with Twins. 1/6.5m

Wow.  I remember when we were speculating it'd take at least 2/25 to sign him, and some were even saying 3/39.  That's a huge discount.  I did read that he can "reasonably" make the contract into a 2/16 with some incentive bonuses, but that said, that's still quite the discount.  Good for the Twins.

33 minutes ago, WeaverFever said:

I know we might regret it. But it seems like Arrieta is there for the taking. He might be what we need for a potential wild card game. 

Seems to be some traction with Arrieta and the Phils...Boras’ guys, like Moose and Arrieta, will hang on in to the season rather than take a discount...