• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Meyer done for 2018

Jason

15 minutes ago, Blarg said:

That was Chavez and Nolasco.

If Skaggs, Richards, and Shoemaker had been healthy all year like they were supposed to be, that would have been fine.

I know guys like Nolasco and Chavez aren't sexy and their peripherals aren't pretty, but looking back 20-some odd years, it's plain to see that when the Halos use no more than 7 or 8 guys to start games, with 5 making 20 or more, they're competing, even if two of them aren't putting up exciting lines. Stability in the rotation is more valuable than folks are buying. Patchwork pitching staffs don't work even if you're working with a lot of talent.

When you can't rely on your starters to stay stable, you overwork your pen, when you overwork your pen, you choke late games, when you start to choke late games, your offense starts to press and struggle, then that carries on...

38 minutes ago, Jason said:

Rehabilitation

After surgery, you will need to keep your shoulder in a sling for 3 to 4 weeks. Your physician will also prescribe gentle, passive, pain-free range-of-motion exercises. When the sling is removed, you will need to do motion and flexibility exercises and gradually start to strengthen your biceps. Athletes can usually begin doing sport-specific exercises 6 weeks after surgery, although it will be 3 to 4 months before the shoulder is fully healed.

I wonder why a year?

1 minute ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Rehabilitation

After surgery, you will need to keep your shoulder in a sling for 3 to 4 weeks. Your physician will also prescribe gentle, passive, pain-free range-of-motion exercises. When the sling is removed, you will need to do motion and flexibility exercises and gradually start to strengthen your biceps. Athletes can usually begin doing sport-specific exercises 6 weeks after surgery, although it will be 3 to 4 months before the shoulder is fully healed.

I wonder why a year?

It's a lot more damaging for a pitcher, especially when it's their pitching shoulder.

10 minutes ago, krAbs said:

Honestly, with his history and with the success rate of the surgery he is going into...I kinda suspect Meyer is done. For his career. Glad I got to see him pitch in his last game - it was a something special. But...hopefully I'm wrong, but I have a bad feeling from here out with him.

I think you're probably right...Sad....

2 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I think you're probably right...Sad....

I mean...I'm normally pretty optimistic on starters for the Angels (I think that Skaggs, Richards, and maybe even Heaney still will put up good performances down the stretch for us this year - and if we make it to the playoffs will be able to go head to head with some of the best in baseball), but...from what I've read, this is an injury that tends to linger after surgery for pitchers. Mix that with Meyer's past, and the fact that he's only getting older, and that's one ugly picture. Real sad story. Talented pitcher, just couldn't stay healthy.

1 minute ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Rehabilitation

I wonder why a year?

It's a lot more damaging for a pitcher, especially when it's their pitching shoulder.

Before Microsoft Windows performed an update and rebooted my computer into a blue screen of death last week, wiping out all of my files on my computer, I had pulled together a pitcher's list for 2018 along with a corresponding risk of injury list for each player. This risk chart was based off of the most recent data showing that previous injury is the biggest indicator of new injury in the following season.

As I recall I had both Richards and Meyer as "High Risk" of injury (of any sort not just specific to their injuries from this year). Heaney, Skaggs, Smith, and Tropeano I rated as "Medium Risk" with several others being "Low" risk (think Barria and Long for instance).

The bottom line is that this isn't a surprise. Quite frankly we had three guys (Heaney, Skaggs, and Tropeano) who had TMJ surgery and we will be really lucky if all three are able to return to the mound in some form or fashion from that procedure alone (about a 35% chance at least one of those three isn't whole after TMJ).

Additionally the other injuries to Richards, Meyer, and Smith create higher risk situations for them and now Alex has fallen victim to the statistics.

This is certainly a blow to 2018 but it is not a fatal one at all. It still f'in hurts though.

2 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Rehabilitation

I wonder why a year?

my brother had this very same surgery in june and is going through this same rehab procedure. doctor told him it would be six months before he could play hockey again - understanding this is for a man in his mid-50s who isn't a professional athlete.

i don't know what kind of arm & shoulder strength it takes to be a major league pitcher, but after watching my brother i can understand why it takes a year for an elite athlete to recover.

2 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

To be fair, he said 4.40 ERA, not 5.19.

Nolasco is debatably not even "serviceable"

Going into this season Nolasco's career ERA was 4.52 over 11 years. 

There's no such thing as a pitcher with a career 4.40ish ERA who doesn't also carry the risk that one season it may be 5.20.

8 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Going into this season Nolasco's career ERA was 4.52 over 11 years. 

There's no such thing as a pitcher with a career 4.40ish ERA who doesn't also carry the risk that one season it may be 5.20.

Agreed but He's 34 years old though. His ERA since his age 31 season is 5.10. He's not the pitcher he was from 27-30