• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels Notes: Keynan Middleton rides the rookie rollercoaster

AngelsWin.com

ARLINGTON, Texas — Keynan Middleton has been through a rollercoaster rookie season with the Angels, at times looking like a closer in waiting and at other times looking like he’s not ready for the majors.

A day after he gave up two homers — he’s allowed 10 in 46 1/3 innings — Manager Mike Scioscia said Saturday that Middleton needs to be more consistent with his slider.

“I don’t care if you’re throwing 97-100, if you are just throwing fastballs, these guys are going to hit mistakes when they show up,” Scioscia said. “I think he understands it.”

In the big picture, though, Scioscia said Middleton’s development has been good, considering how far he’s come. Middleton began last season at Class-A.

“He’s pitched a lot of really important innings for us and done really well,” Scioscia said. “You can’t really grade him on the home runs or the (4.47) ERA. At times he’s struggled through some innings, but the lion’s share of the times he’s been out there, he’s given us some really important innings, and that’s impressive for somebody with not as much experience.”

HOMECOMING

When the Angels claimed Noe Ramirez on waivers last month, it gave the reliever a chance to come home.

Ramirez, a product of Alhambra High and Cal State Fullerton, had been in the Boston Red Sox system, including 33 major league games over the previous three season.

“It’s always good to be closer to home, to be able to pitch in front of my family,” he said. “Hopefully I can do it on a more consistent basis.”

Ramirez, 27, pitched just two games in the majors this season. In Triple-A, he had a 3.23 ERA and 10.4 strikeouts per nine innings in 53 innings, combined between the two organizations.

He got off to a good start with the Angels on Friday night, escaping a first-and-third, no-outs jam with no runs scoring. The Angels then came back to tie.

“It was a little slow of a year, but I’m here now and hopefully I can do a lot here and try to help the team out,” he said.

ALSO

Garrett Richards threw a bullpen session before Saturday’s game. The Angels haven’t yet decided if his next outing will be at Triple-A or the majors. The soonest he could pitch would be Monday. If the Angels move Parker Bridwell up to Monday, keeping him on four days rest, the Angels could start Richards on Tuesday….

Scioscia said Yunel Escobar (strained oblique) was examined this weekend and could be ready to resume baseball activities any day. He said the Angels still could get him back to a minor league affiliate for some rehab games because they have at least one farm team expected to make the playoffs…

With his four RBI on Friday night, Albert Pujols passed Willie Mays to move into ninth place on the all-time list. Pujols had 1,904 RBI heading into Saturday’s game.

View the full article

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Scioscia doesn't have to use him in close games.  but he does.  two games this series could have been different if not for Middleton.  

Scioscia has had to use just about everyone in the bullpen during the three Texas games.  The problem starts with the starters, and the starting rotation has too many guys in it who are trying to regain form after significant injuries, or are rookies.  The only experienced and conditioned starter is Nolasco, and we are familiar with his flaws.  We took advantage of a wonderful situation to produce an effective offense.  Eppler did great to pull that off.  We are going to have to hope that some of the remaining starters can hold the fort until we can play with a lead.  Chasing opponents and trying to over power them every night with the offense will not get it done.  The pitching has to step up or we are finished.