• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels to Acquire Justin Upton

totdprods

3 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

He just turned 30 years old.  If he doesn't opt out, it is a good deal for the team for his age.

Right, I'm just saying the worst case scenario -- he opts in and turns into Hamilton next season. Given his age and production this season, I don't see that happening, but even in that scenario we'd still only be on the hook for a couple years, and for less than what we paid Hamilton. With our recent track record I always go to worst case first; in this case, it seems relatively low to me.

Just now, JarsOfClay said:

He's not going to opt out, why would he?  How much more do u think he's going to get exactly?  

And 2021 is a long time, what are they going to do with Jones and Adell?  Trade them and watch them be all stars for another team at league minimum while the angels pay a washed up Upton 25M?

He could easily get another $18.5 Million, by signing a realistic 5 years $100 million contract.

1 minute ago, floplag said:

IF he opts out really isnt the issue i dont think.  
If he does, there is an ample market to replace him.  If he doesnt then we are fine to.   
Really its win win.

And since there is a chance Upton doesn't opt out, it also means the Angels/Eppler have comfort in taking that financial risk, meaning it's probably safe to assume that if Upton does opt-out, they are still comfortable spending this offseason to a fairly large amount.

14 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Well, I think the point is that the Angels have a ton of guys that could be at least #4 starters. Richards, Skaggs, Meyer, Heaney, Shoemaker, Tropeano, Smith, Long, Barria....all could be (or have been, in LOng's case) at least that good in 2018. So Long, while a useful piece--which is why the Tigers wanted him--was expendable, because he's somewhat interchangeable with Smith, Tropeano, and Barria as rotation depth next year.

Don't forget Griffin Canning who's close to being major league ready.

I'm really happy with this deal. This is the move I've wanted them to make for at least two years. This was the move I expected after we traded for Simmons. This is the move that finally makes us legitimate contenders this season.

If he opts out, we can trade for Stanton ;-) The big take away here is that the Angels were cool with adding a bunch of payroll (though only about $13m) which means that if he does opt out we will be looking to replace him.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

And since there is a chance Upton doesn't opt out, it also means the Angels/Eppler have comfort in taking that financial risk, meaning it's probably safe to assume that if Upton does opt-out, they are still comfortable spending this offseason to a fairly large amount.

Precisely, would have likely cost the 22 mil ish per to get one of the better OF in FA anyway.   
The more i look at this the more brilliant it becomes 

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Dang you beat me to it

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

IF he opts out really isnt the issue i dont think.  
If he does, there is an ample market to replace him.  If he doesnt then we are fine to.   
Really its win win.

I agree.  This also shows that the Angels were likely to go in big this offseason.  

As cool as getting Upton is, it makes the Hernandez trade that much more of a head-scratcher. We would probably have at least two more wins with Hernandez and so did Eppler assume his bullpen was good enough to trade one of his best RP and was not sure he would be going after Upton? Doesn't it make more sense to keep a good RP and add Upton?

14 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

If the Angels don't win the WS and/or Upton turns out to be a rental I look forward to the day Long does anything in the majors and someone posts about how bad the trade was.

That's the risk of a trade like this.  At the moment, in considering our position in the standing this was a great trade.  However, the same could be said for Grienke.  If we don't make the playoffs, and Upton is a one month rental and Long turns in to a quality mlb pitcher everyone will be bitching about how stupid this trade is.  

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

He could easily get another $18.5 Million, by signing a realistic 5 years $100 million contract.

Could he really though, OF is one spot this off season where there are a lot of options.  Its no given he gets a raise even with the year hes having, its certainly no guarantee even if it is reasonable.  One could argue he might not even be the top OF in the market with Martinez also doing what he is doing.  

3 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

As cool as getting Upton is, it makes the Hernandez trade that much more of a head-scratcher. We would probably have at least two more wins with Hernandez and so did Eppler assume his bullpen was good enough to trade one of his best RP and was not sure he would be going after Upton? Doesn't it make more sense to keep a good RP and add Upton?

Seems clear the front office had a change of heart.  Thought we were out of it but the team brought it back into play.   Thats my assessment anyway 

3 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

I think it just shows how hard it is to be a real GM.  Eppler got Hernandez for nothing and flipped him for a potential decent player.  It's a gamble either way.