• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is Mike Trout winning MVP again?

moccasin

I just checked fangraphs WAR, and shockingly realized that he is only 0.4 points behind Altuve for the lead. His WPA(clutchness) beats everybody by a mile, and if the Angels actually make the postseason, it's going to be hard to justify not voting for him again. He is on pace to qualify for the batting title too, especially if MS puts him in the 2 spot.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=300&type=8&season=2017&month=0&season1=2017&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

2 weeks ago, Altuve had a lead of about 1.5 points so I can't really see Altuve clinging on to the lead here. He might even start resting toward the end of the season.

This is exactly why you can't just rely on WAR to determine the best player.  Different sites have very different formulas for what goes into WAR.  Baseball Prospectus has Trout and Altuve tied in WAR, and 1.2 behind major league leader Stanton.  Baseball Reference has Trout 1.5 points behind major league leader Altuve, with Stanton 10th overall (Trout is 11th).  Fangraphs has Trout .4 behind major league leader Altuve, with Stanton 11th, with Rendon 4th (he's 7th in Baseball Prospectus, and not even in the top 10 in Baseball Reference).

4 minutes ago, TroutTrumbo said:

With 40 games remaining he needs to average 4 plate appearances a game to reach 502, the requied amount to qualify for the batting title. Absent this he has not shot. If he is just about to enter his prime his numbers the next few years could be staggering.

This is the only reason I can stand to see Pujols in the three-spot, because if he were to be moved down Trout would probably also be moved and get fewer PA's.

4 AB's a game is reasonable. We are in the middle of a playoff race, so he isn't coming out of the lineup.

If Trout stays scorching hot like he has been all season (or maybe this is the new norm and he's just that much better than everyone else), it won't matter what Altuve does. A slump would help but it really doesn't matter. 

If Trout wins the MVP it would probably be one of those career defining moments where the nation finally realizes what we've known for 5 years now. 110 games of Trout is more valuable than 160 of anyone else in baseball.

Sometimes I get the feeling that (up until last year anyway)  the writers were looking for reasons to vote for someone else besides Trout because he didn't put up gaudy offensive numbers in any particular category or because the team wasn't doing well.  But I think 2016 made him the default.  They might still give it to Altuve but I think it's Trout's to lose and if they continue to vie for the WC slot, he'll get it even if we don't make it.  

2 hours ago, TroutTrumbo said:

With 40 games remaining he needs to average 4 plate appearances a game to reach 502, the requied amount to qualify for the batting title. Absent this he has not shot. If he is just about to enter his prime his numbers the next few years could be staggering.

Play every game and angels need to get at least 2 men on base each game and he makes it.

4 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

This is exactly why you can't just rely on WAR to determine the best player.  Different sites have very different formulas for what goes into WAR.  Baseball Prospectus has Trout and Altuve tied in WAR, and 1.2 behind major league leader Stanton.  Baseball Reference has Trout 1.5 points behind major league leader Altuve, with Stanton 10th overall (Trout is 11th).  Fangraphs has Trout .4 behind major league leader Altuve, with Stanton 11th, with Rendon 4th (he's 7th in Baseball Prospectus, and not even in the top 10 in Baseball Reference).

You e listed three different versions of WAR. Stanton leads one of them but is tenth in another. That seems to weaken the whole argument, at least for me, in support of this as a meaningful stat.

I believe the batting title qualifier is based on PA as well.

Anyway, what I'm looking forward to the most is, the Angels making the postseason, and it resulting in the reversing of the criteria people have held against Trout in their faces.

People have been saying that the Angels could have "Not made the playoffs" without Trout. 

But if the Angels make it this year, you can now say that the Astros would have made the playoffs without Altuve, but the Angels wouldn't have without Trout.

If they come very close in WAR, that should become the tie breaker.

5 minutes ago, Tank said:

You e listed three different versions of WAR. Stanton leads one of them but is tenth in another. That seems to weaken the whole argument, at least for me, in support of this as a meaningful stat.

Yes, that was the whole point of my post.  It's also not a stat the average person can quickly calculate--or even explain.