• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who does Cowart have to blow to get a shot?

Glen

13 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

Trout can't even make this team good ... what makes anyone think Cowart will

But he would potentially be another piece to add.   Gotta think 2018 now.   Give Cowart enough playing time up here, and see what he can do at the plate.

He has the glove, arm, and baserunning.   Now, time to see how he bats with regular at bats.

1 hour ago, CanadianHalo said:

Yeah.

Moose doesn't make THAT much more of a difference for us to just kick Escobar to the curb and leave our other holes alone. 

Escobar gets the job done and the money would be better off spent on filling actual holes

If they fill another hole (LF and/or 2B and/or 1B),  I "might" be able to accept Escobar at 3B for another year.

He is aided having Simmons next to him.

What 3B are available after 2018 that won't cost Machado level salary?

3 hours ago, Glen said:

I must have missed that.  Apologies.

LOL Glen, I had calculated the amount of days that Cowart needed to be out to gain an extra year of control over Cowart and @Jeff Fletcher rightfully kidded me about it because we are of course talking about Kaleb. In that calculation, at that time, Kaleb had I believe 98 days of service time left (he had 99 now) and I calculated backwards from the end of the season and determined that if the Angels called him up on July 22nd they would gain the extra year of control. Now that he came up one extra day about 3 weeks ago that would move to July 23rd.

It was a light-hearted jab at myself, Glen.

12 hours ago, Glen said:

There's no doubt he's an upgrade over anyone we've had there since Glaus.  But as I said, he's coming off of a career year, and that's gonna drive his price way up.

The grass is always greener...

Totally agree with you that his numbers this year will drive his price up -- but even that isn't the problem....  He's just not that good other than bringing some power.  Moustakas has a career OPS+ of 95, prior to this season it was 92   His three most recent years before this juiced baseball season he was a 100 OPS+ hitter.   The dude owns a career .303 OBP and been hot and cold his entire career -- he's not a cornerstone play by any stretch and would bring credence to the old line about the only thing wrong with FA is the "high price of mediocrity". 

Anyway just for giggles....

Dallas McPherson put up an 96 OPS+ as a member of the Angels.  

Maicer Izturis put up a 102 OPS+ as the primary 3B in Anaheim with an OBP of .364

Chone Figgins first year at 3B he put up a 117 OPS+ and in his three years as the 3B he managed to put up 13.3 bWAR and sported a career OBP of .363 as an Angel.  Moustakas has 11.0 bWAR in his entire career.

Alberto Callaspo's four years in Anaheim mostly as 3B he managed a 96 OPS+ and an OBP of .335

David Freese's two years in Anaheim he put up an 106 OPS+ and an OBP of .322

Yunel Escobar's two years in Anaheim he's also put up an 106 OPS+ and an OBP of .351

There is no question the Angels will need a 3B soon, but for the love of all things baseball, let's not start building Moustakas into something he isn't and no he wouldn't be the best 3B they have had since Glaus, not even close.  The negatives attached to this guy are IMO big enough where the power is marginalized.  Really, it's kind of ugly....  he's had all of one full season where he's managed a league average OBP before this one.  He hasn't hit for shit in any of the AL West parks in his career save for Texas.   He's basically CJ Cron, the 3B version...

He's going to milk this season for a big paycheck -- a bigger paycheck than he's actually worth.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

The grass is always greener...

Totally agree with you that his numbers this year will drive his price up -- but even that isn't the problem....  He's just not that good other than bringing some power.  Moustakas has a career OPS+ of 95, prior to this season it was 92   His three most recent years before this juiced baseball season he was a 100 OPS+ hitter.   The dude owns a career .303 OBP and been hot and cold his entire career -- he's not a cornerstone play by any stretch and would bring credence to the old line about the only thing wrong with FA is the "high price of mediocrity". 

Anyway just for giggles....

Dallas McPherson put up an 96 OPS+ as a member of the Angels.  

Maicer Izturis put up a 102 OPS+ as the primary 3B in Anaheim with an OBP of .364

Chone Figgins first year at 3B he put up a 117 OPS+ and in his three years as the 3B he managed to put up 13.3 bWAR and sported a career OBP of .363 as an Angel.  Moustakas has 11.0 bWAR in his entire career.

Alberto Callaspo's four years in Anaheim mostly as 3B he managed a 96 OPS+ and an OBP of .335

David Freese's two years in Anaheim he put up an 106 OPS+ and an OBP of .322

Yunel Escobar's two years in Anaheim he's also put up an 106 OPS+ and an OBP of .351

There is no question the Angels will need a 3B soon, but for the love of all things baseball, let's not start building Moustakas into something he isn't and no he wouldn't be the best 3B they have had since Glaus, not even close.  The negatives attached to this guy are IMO big enough where the power is marginalized.  Really, it's kind of ugly....  he's had all of one full season where he's managed a league average OBP before this one.  He hasn't hit for shit in any of the AL West parks in his career save for Texas.   He's basically CJ Cron, the 3B version...

He's going to milk this season for a big paycheck -- a bigger paycheck than he's actually worth.

55 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Moustakas would be a Moostake.

Before the season started there were some indicators that this could possibly be a breakout season for Moose but it has not quite materialized and I just do not think, after further reflection, that his skill set will survive for as long as we would like it too. Also I've always wondered if we will ever do free agent business with Scott Boras again and I have to believe that Moreno will never allow it so this seems like a long shot.

I'd rather see us trade for Eugenio Suarez or Jake Lamb if they are available either now, for the former, or in the off-season (for the latter).

9 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Listening to some of the posters on this thread, there is just nothing to be done to fix this team. Nothing. I just don't believe it, something will be done before next season to make this team a contender once again.

News Flash: the team is contending now. You could say our chances are slim but with 67 games left to play the team is still in playoff contention. 

25 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

News Flash: the team is contending now. You could say our chances are slim but with 67 games left to play the team is still in playoff contention. 

...with about nine other teams. Yeah, we're in contention alright.

Edited by fan_since79

51 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Do you think I am giving up on this season. I'm not a was referencing some posters on the thread that sounded like they had thrown in the towel and dismissed any all solutions to the the problem for years to come.

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Do you think I am giving up on this season. I'm not a was referencing some posters on the thread that sounded like they had thrown in the towel and dismissed any all solutions to the the problem for years to come.

Who exactly has done that?  If Moustakas is the answer...  then the Angels need to be asking smarter questions..

On 7/15/2017 at 8:12 PM, Glen said:

This is beyond ridiculous. He can't be worse defensively or offensively than any of our current 2b/1b. Franklin is no better than Espinosa. 

Give the kid a shot, for Pete's sake. Give us some sort of sign that the status quo isn't good enough.

I think Adam covered this in the Hangout thread

stays patient until Sept. 1 and then hopefully gets some playing time at 2B on a regular basis during September.

since this would be an early start to Spring Training, I wonder if the Halos have thought about moving a couple of the September series to Tempe Diablo Stadium.

If he can't just rock at 2B and at the plate during September garbage time -- he probably never will.

for the 'we're contending now' posters, I apologize for my prior post........

IMO the sooner Spring Training begins for us, the better.

September sounds about right.

August 15 perhaps more realistic.

PLEASE , HALOS front office, don't not make any deals now for the short term that further limit the team's salary flexibility moving forward..........even though we're NOT OUT OF IT NOW, (wink, wink).........