• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Congrats to Angels All-Star Pitchers!

spilled milk.

let's go back - at the time Santana was not re-signed Board members here thought he wanted too much and that he was pretty much a 'home team pitcher' who had a series of bad outings (starts) on the road -- remember that?  Santana pitched over all pretty well for the Halos but we were not going to spend what it took to keep him and we probably should have dealt him (although, back then, we got draft pick compensation right?) before he left as a F/A -- you may recall that he was fairly inconsistent his 'contract' year with the Halos....home/ road splits were night and day.

Greinke -- can't remember the deadline deal now - but we got Greinke at deadline time and he came over and hurt his arm his first game as a Halo -- by the time of that first game, the Halos were pretty much out of the race and by the time Grienke had his second Halos start, the Halos were out of the race -- one of the strangest deadline rental deals Halos have made over the years -- can't remember who we sent packing?  what I remember best is how Greinke was hurt by about the first/ second inning of his first Halos start and then spent the rest of his Halos time making it clear he was going to sign with the highest bidder in F/A and he wouldn't be back.

Vargas -- Vargas is the one we sort of let get away......LB St. grad. Jered Weaver teammate there and then in the Halos rotation. Pitched well for us on sort of a one year deal 'rehab' deal to show he could still pitch -- he came to us from Seattle in a deal, right? and sort of had his effectiveness issues in Seattle......(don't they all up there?) but he pitched well for us and then when it came contract time I think we had some issue with a two versus three or four year deal.  I think he wound up with a four year deal that we were never going to match and probably should have done so - hind sight...........but I do think a lot of Board posters here said then - at the time -- letting Vargas leave as a F/A was not a god move.

3 minutes ago, disarcina said:

as we type and mis-type here -- Jason Vargas just gave up another HR in Seattle game -- this one by Nelson Cruz. He's given up there in the game so far -- bottom third inning.

yeah, Vargas has his effectiveness issues in Seattle and still does.

Vargas sucks. Mediocre pitcher at best. Ain't scaring anyone with his weak stuff. He is just getting luck.

well, has pretty good stats this year.......getting hit hard right now (MLB. TV game)

I kinda liked Vargas -- thought we should have done more to keep him --

but then he got that what ? FOUR year deal with KC?  I mean, Halos were maybe willing to give him a one plus one option and KC gave him more money plus four years guaranteed,,,,,,,,,,we weren't even on the radar in those negotiations.........

16 minutes ago, disarcina said:

spilled milk.

let's go back - at the time Santana was not re-signed Board members here thought he wanted too much and that he was pretty much a 'home team pitcher' who had a series of bad outings (starts) on the road -- remember that?  Santana pitched over all pretty well for the Halos but we were not going to spend what it took to keep him and we probably should have dealt him (although, back then, we got draft pick compensation right?) before he left as a F/A -- you may recall that he was fairly inconsistent his 'contract' year with the Halos....home/ road splits were night and day.

Greinke -- can't remember the deadline deal now - but we got Greinke at deadline time and he came over and hurt his arm his first game as a Halo -- by the time of that first game, the Halos were pretty much out of the race and by the time Grienke had his second Halos start, the Halos were out of the race -- one of the strangest deadline rental deals Halos have made over the years -- can't remember who we sent packing?  what I remember best is how Greinke was hurt by about the first/ second inning of his first Halos start and then spent the rest of his Halos time making it clear he was going to sign with the highest bidder in F/A and he wouldn't be back.

Vargas -- Vargas is the one we sort of let get away......LB St. grad. Jered Weaver teammate there and then in the Halos rotation. Pitched well for us on sort of a one year deal 'rehab' deal to show he could still pitch -- he came to us from Seattle in a deal, right? and sort of had his effectiveness issues in Seattle......(don't they all up there?) but he pitched well for us and then when it came contract time I think we had some issue with a two versus three or four year deal.  I think he wound up with a four year deal that we were never going to match and probably should have done so - hind sight...........but I do think a lot of Board posters here said then - at the time -- letting Vargas leave as a F/A was not a god move.

Hey, uh, I think the only thing you got right here was Vargas went to Long Beach State.  

Erv was a wreck in 2012.  Worst SP in baseball actually.  -1.0 WAR.  His 29yo season and about to get 13mil to start his 30's. Over the course of his career, he's been the definition of avg.  But the inconsistency makes him painful.  

Here's a good comp for everyone to guess on:

Ervin Santana:

2283.1 ip, 19% k-rate, FIP- 103 (the lower the better)

Mystery player:

1806.1ip, 18.9% k-rate, FIP- 98

15 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Erv was a wreck in 2012.  Worst SP in baseball actually.  -1.0 WAR.  His 29yo season and about to get 13mil to start his 30's. Over the course of his career, he's been the definition of avg.  But the inconsistency makes him painful.  

Here's a good comp for everyone to guess on:

Ervin Santana:

2283.1 ip, 19% k-rate, FIP- 103 (the lower the better)

Mystery player:

1806.1ip, 18.9% k-rate, FIP- 98

Had to look it up, via alltime list of innings pitched.    That is pretty reality awakening, to be compared to another average at best pitcher.