• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Trent Deveaux

8 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

It appears Billy Eppler doesn't mind blowing smoke to make the sale.  He tells Deveaux he sees him making the major leagues by age 19, and unseating Mike Trout as the Angels starting CF, forcing Mike to RF. 

That's not the quote I read.  Scotty I think it was tongue in cheek, saying that Deveaux would challenge Mike before he himself moved to right field.  

Evidently he's 17. Baseball America has him as the #19 international prospect, #8 among outfielders. I'm not complaining, but I'm wondering why Eppler liked this guy over the others, and why Eppler wanted to sign another outfielder when the Angels are rich with outfield prospects in the low minors.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/2017-top-50-international-prospects-july-2/#IHvf52iLy4GqQhWB.97

8 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Evidently he's 17. Baseball America has him as the #19 international prospect, #8 among outfielders. I'm not complaining, but I'm wondering why Eppler liked this guy over the others, and why Eppler wanted to sign another outfielder when the Angels are rich with outfield prospects in the low minors.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/2017-top-50-international-prospects-july-2/#IHvf52iLy4GqQhWB.97

See my response in the international draft thread. 

as i did with dipoto, i'm willing to give eppler some rope on these amateur drafts and international signings. i'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, as long as they deserve it. eppler and his staff have shown themselves to be adept at picking up talent. i've always held out hope that eppler was showing arte the yankee approach to winning. i continue to hold onto that hope.

20 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

So how much do we have left to spend on other guys ? Like 3.8 mil ? Who knows about this kid.  At least he's a guy that people have heard of.  Unlike the great Baldoquin. 

The Angels had $4,750,000 total. Deveaux gets $1.2MM, so that brings it down to $3.55MM, but they've also signed five other guys. I can't find money figures on three of them, but two (outfielders Raidel Uceta and Jose Reyes) for $925,000 total, so that's down to 2.625MM. D'Shawn Knowles was Baseball America's #37 prospect, so presumably he goes for more than those two but less than Deveaux--maybe $7-900k?--and the other two--pitchers Wilson Gomez and Jenrri Gonzalez--are presumably less, maybe $6-800k total?

I'm guessing after those six, they have maybe around $1MM left, give or take a few 100k.

Edited by Angelsjunky
Math fixed

5 hours ago, Stradling said:

That's not the quote I read.  Scotty I think it was tongue in cheek, saying that Deveaux would challenge Mike before he himself moved to right field.  

"Billy Eppler told me in three years they expect me in the Major Leagues and expect me to compete for that spot in center field with Mike Trout, [then I'd] eventually making the move to right field."

You were right about him making the move the RF, and I was right about Eppler telling him he expects him to challenge Trout in CF in three years.  There's literally nothing about that which would indicate this is tongue in cheek.  Derveaux and Eppler both expect this kid to be a major leaguer at the same age Mike Trout was.