• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Middle of the Pack

Through all the horrible hitting and injuries the Angels are playing .500 baseball. Second in our division and 1.5 back of the wild card.

My question is ... have we seen the worst or is the best yet to come? 

The pitching is starting to get healthy and I don't believe the players can hit any worse than what we've seen thus far. 

This isn't a championship team but it can compete for a playoff spot imo. 

1 minute ago, Troll Daddy said:

Do you think we've seen their best baseball?

No, but their best baseball may not be enough to change their current mediocre performance.  If their best baseball comes against top tier teams, the results may stay the same.  This offense has not demonstrated the ability to score runs against a top of the rotation pitcher, yet. 

22 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

The pitching is starting to get healthy and I don't believe the players can hit any worse than what we've seen thus far.

Only one person could possible hit worse and they're is little reason to believe Trout will forget how to hit. Sure he may not be able to keep up the pace he's been on for the entire season but a prolonged slump isn't probable going to happen either based on his history. Maybin was ice cold for much of the first 5 or 6 weeks, he has suddenly turned that corner. Some of our players are bound to return from the DL. It just doesn't seem possible that our string of bad luck on the injury front can continue forever.

We have a real shot at a Wild Card based on how badly some of other contenders are playing at the moment. As bad as our offense has been and still being in the running has given me a reason to be optimistic for the fist time in over a year. Our defense and pitching has been above average and has given us a chance to win a lot of games.

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Only one person could possible hit worse and they're is little reason to believe Trout will forget how to hit. 

Simmons, Maybin, Maldonado, and Pujols could all hit worse than they are.

1 hour ago, Homebrewer said:

I'm afraid, as up and down as it has been, the starting pitching has been performing way over it's ability. When it comes back to it's real talent level, things could get pretty ugly.

Gotta disagree here. Look at their ERAs:

Ramirez 3.38

Chavez 5.09

Nolasco 4.37

Shoemaker 3.97

Meyer 5.79

Skaggs 3.99

I don't see any that looks "way over" that player's ability. Ramirez is the big surprise, but his peripherals (14 walks, 47 strikeouts) point to a legit breakthrough. Chavez is actually worse than expected. Nolasco is exactly as expected. Shoe, Skaggs, and Meyer have all shown signs of improvement they more they pitch.

40 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Gotta disagree here. Look at their ERAs:

Ramirez 3.38

Chavez 5.09

Nolasco 4.37

Shoemaker 3.97

Meyer 5.79

Skaggs 3.99

I don't see any that looks "way over" that player's ability. Ramirez is the big surprise, but his peripherals (14 walks, 47 strikeouts) point to a legit breakthrough. Chavez is actually worse than expected. Nolasco is exactly as expected. Shoe, Skaggs, and Meyer have all shown signs of improvement they more they pitch.

I'm with you on this one. Shoemaker is better than this, as is Chavez. The peripherals suggest Ramirez performance in legitimate. Even if he regresses, there will still come a time this season when Skaggs and/or Richards will return. Meyer looked like he was breaking free on the control-chains that binded him.

3 hours ago, eligrba said:

No, but their best baseball may not be enough to change their current mediocre performance.  If their best baseball comes against top tier teams, the results may stay the same.  This offense has not demonstrated the ability to score runs against a top of the rotation pitcher, yet. 

Haven't we played 7 games against the best team in baseball?