• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cameron Maybin at leadoff

Chuck

"It's not how you start, but how you finish."

This old saying rings true for not just any team in professional sports, but also its players. 

Cameron has had back to back games in which he's thrived hitting out of the leadoff spot and with his ability to take a walk and steal base, I think we should give him an extended look there, even when Escobar gets back.

Maybin hit over .300 with a .370+ OBP with the Tigers last year out of the leadoff spot. 

This was discussed briefly on the Angels pregame show . Apparently, Yescobar is hitting over a .300 clip with runners on base. We might see a change in our he lineup when Yescobar returns. 

Maybin was successful last season batting in the front of the Tigers lineup. 

7 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Escobar protecting Maybin vs Trout protecting maybin. Its pretty obvious at this point that hes just seeing better pitches.

Or it's a guy who had some bad luck running into some good luck. Or it's just the randomness if 10 PAs in a 650 PA season so a stall like this will happen to many players.

I wrote about this in the next to last section of the Primer Series: http://thesportsdaily.com/angels-win/angelswin-com-2017-season-primer-part-xv-lineup-construction/

Particularly the 'vs. LHP' and 'vs. RHP' near the top, per 'The Book', would consider, using 3-year running averages for each player, placing Maybin-Trout-Escobar-Pujols in the 1-2-3-4 positions. Some of you would scoff at Escobar hitting 3rd but he has the type of hitting skills, high average, contact ability, and on-base percentage, to hit in the spot since 'The Book' considers the 3rd spot a low-run producing place in the lineup. Also the two speedy players in front of Escobar make it more worthwhile for them to steal bases (efficiency which is linked in my article).

I could also live with a 1-2-3-4 of Maybin-Escobar-Trout-Pujols too.

13 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

I'm liking Trout batting second and Pujols batting third. You could bat Yescobar fourth? 

If Valbuena can stay at career norms, I would keep him 4th and then put Escobar 5th, sort of as another lead off hitter. 

Reason being, Escobar is still mostly a singles hitter and I don't want him getting too homer Happy if he's "clean-up" and Valbuena's OBP should keep him on base before Yunel enough. Valbuena should have enough speed to get 1st to 3rd often. Slot in Calhoun if you're seeking power or Simmons if you're seeking more of a contact approach after Yunel and go from there. 

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

If Valbuena can stay at career norms, I would keep him 4th and then put Escobar 5th, sort of as another lead off hitter. 

Reason being, Escobar is still mostly a singles hitter and I don't want him getting too homer Happy if he's "clean-up" and Valbuena's OBP should keep him on base before Yunel enough. Valbuena should have enough speed to get 1st to 3rd often. Slot in Calhoun if you're seeking power or Simmons if you're seeking more of a contact approach after Yunel and go from there. 

Ok 

I'm thinking RBI'S 

I don't trust Calhoun as that guy. You could also use Valbuena's OBP in the middle of the lineup. 

I'd like to see Escobar bat second with his ability to control the bat and put the ball in play. With Maybin at leadoff, there will be plenty of pressure on the opposing team with straight steals and hit and runs. 

1. Maybin LF

2. Escobar 3b

3. Trout CF

4. Pujols DH

5. Calhoun RF

6. Valbuena 1b

7. Simmons SS

8. Maldonado C

9. Espinosa 2b

Side note: it makes so much more sense to just have Valbuena play 3rd and Yunel at 1st, as Yunel's glove is fine but his arm is horriblly inaccurate. I guess its too late now but they shouldve worked on that during spring training

2 hours ago, JustATroutFan said:

I guess he should thank Trout for his success at the plate lately. Doubt he would be hitting well the last few games if Trout wasn't batting behind him.

Over the last 15 games (May basically) Maybin has a .400 OBP.

11 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

I'm liking Trout batting second and Pujols batting third. You could bat Yescobar fourth? 

When I suggested Maybin could lead off back in April, you shot me down using at least a few different arguments. Maybin's OBP has only been good for 1 year, Escobar's career OBP is .350 and on and on.

My argument was Maybin had a higher OBP last season than Escobar and Maybin could steal bases.

It's good to see your at least considering it now that Maybin's OBP is at .350+ for the season so far, and going 8-10 from the lead off spot is nothing to sneeze at..

Personally I think the team is better with Valbuena at 3B.

8 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

When I suggested Maybin could lead off back in April, you shot me down using at least a few different arguments. Maybin's OBP has only been good for 1 year, Escobar's career OBP is .350 and on and on.

My argument was Maybin had a higher OBP last season than Escobar and Maybin could steal bases.

It's good to see your at least considering it now that Maybin's OBP is at .350+ for the season so far, and going 8-10 from the lead off spot is nothing to sneeze at..

Personally I think the team is better with Valbuena at 3B.

+1

I agree with the leadoff argument for those reasons. Escobar mainly gets his on base from his ability to put the bat on the ball and not strikeout. While he does take a walk, he's not a prototypical leadoff guy that will walk 60-100 times a year and steal a base along the way. I agree with @ettin that since he does put the bat on the ball and carry a decent BA that he should be in an RBI spot in the lineup opposed to the leadoff spot. 

Maybin just seems to thrive out of the leadoff spot. 

I like the Maybin, Escobar, Trout, Pujols, Valbuena grouping most.

Maybin has enough speed/OBP to be on for Escobar, who won't be too far removed from his current role he's excelled in. We don't know if Escobar will change his approach if he gets bumped into the middle of the order....he isn't exactly a shining example of mental judgement, and I worry he'll get homer happy. Get them both in front of Trout and more than likely, he'll have someone on base in front of him with Pujols and Valbuena in the wings.

Then, for the next grouping I would have Valbuena, Simmons, Calhoun. Valbuena's OBP acts as another lead-off hitter at #5, Simmons has the contact to move him around, Calhoun to drive them in.

I would prefer one guy with good OBP bat in front of Trout, then bat Trout 2nd.  Escobar is a solid leadoff hitter at getting on base.  Something tells me because of his lack of speed him batting 2nd would result in too many double plays.  So Maybin or Escobar at lead off, Trout 2nd, Albert 3rd and Kole, Escobar/Maybin, Valbuena.  If Maybin stays hot and levels out around a .340 OBP bat him leadoff over Escobar because of his speed.  

I'm going to temper my expectations with the knowledge that Maybin's success this week was against a last place team that the outfielders allow themselves to be hit in the head with fly balls. He could be a successful leadoff hitter or maybe he just got lucky. There are still games to go before Escobar returns and that just might shed some light on this.

I'll look at it with a hint of optimism since he has a .323 life time OBP and last year he was At .383.  We also know what he speed is like, that is something that doesn't slump.  So right now he's at a .345 OBP, if he stays about there then I'd leave him at the top of the lineup regardless of what Escobar does in that spot.