• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Don't give up! And here's why...

How so? The reason for the pessimism is based on truth and actual facts of what it happening. They were AWFUL in spring training and they have had the worst start in the history of the franchise over the first month and a week. All facts and truths point to the team sucking huge big donkey balls. Anybody who thinks otherwise is basing it on blind faith and blind faith is stupid.

Re-read what I just wrote, which you quoted, which was: "Actually, this thread reminds me that pessimism isn't inherently any more rational or truthful than optimism."

I stand by that: Pessimism isn't inherently more rational or truthful than optimism; both can be "knee-jerk" or reactionary.

But I also said that I agree that the odds are stacked against the Angels, that--as you say--"all facts and truths point to the team sucking huge big donkey balls." But change is inevitable and it could be for the better. There's no reason to be believe that Hamilton couldn't start making contact, Pujols hit better, Trout go on a legitimate tear, the pitching remain stable, etc. It is possible that the team actually gels and plays well all at the same time, especially given the weak schedule coming up. That isn't "blind faith" to recognize the possibility of that happening. I'm not saying it is going to happen, just that it could - and it isn't even all that unlikely. Actually, I'd say its rather unlikely that the team keeps "sucking huge donkey balls."

As a quick add-on, for those thinking/hoping the team loses 100 games and the Angels get a high draft pick, this is VERY unlikely to happen. I think the worst-case scenario is that the team continues to struggle and limps to 75-80 wins.  More likely they improve all around and win ~85. Less likely, but still possible, is that everything comes together and they get hot and win 90+ and sneak into the playoffs. But I really don't see the 60-70 win scenario being a serious possibility. There's just too much talent on this team.

As a point of fact Vegas gives the Angels a 20% chance to make the playoffs. Heard that today. It ain't much but not out of it. Last year the Tigers had an 11-20 stretch and A's had a 10-21 stretch. Ours is just worse because we started the season this way. Check out me new InsideEsge piece on this site later today. Not all bad. May and June will tell the story.

Worst start since 1969 anyway, and if they match 1969's record after 39 games (11-28), the whole coaching staff might as well resign.

Thing is, they have been this bad since late February, worst MLB ST record now followed by third worst regular season record on May 6.

Even if Vegas does give the Angels a 20% chance to make the playoffs, how depressing is it that at the start of May this is already what the team is facing.

You wait all offseason, excited for some good 'ole entertainment and already I'm wishing there were more local NBA playoff games :(

Oh well, it happens.  Just seems to happen to us a lot lately...

I'm a Ranger fan and I actually agree with AJ.  Look at how many injuries the Angels have. All of those guys are coming back. If they can just pick up a few games with this weak schedule until they get back, they might get on fire and eke out enough wins to squeak into the postseason. 

And as far as the future goes, they start with about a $120 million payroll next year needing a starting pitcher and a bullpen.  Since Moreno is obviously willing to spend $30 to $40 million a year more than that, there is good reason to think the Angels can address their pitching issues. Weaver, CJ and Pitcher X could be the beginning of a good rotation next year, and they would still have money left over for a couple of plus bullpen arms.

So, I wouldn't count these Angels out quite yet.  The Rangers and Rangers fans aren't. We all know we have to play the Angels in more games to get to the promised land. We hope the Angels continue to flail around and lose, but no one is counting on it.

Actually, the payroll doesn't decrease until after 2014 when the Wells and Blantana contracts come off the books.

And that is when two real good and UNDER 30 pitchers are FAs.

Granted Price is much more likely to sign with another team than Kershaw, whose team has unlimited resources to re-sign him with.

But under no circumstances should the Halos sign an over 30 to big money for a longggggg time.

It comes down to pitching, folks, and we don't have any.  Put any spin you want on this, but reality is reality.

Weaver is our only ace (who happens to be injured and let's hope he returns strong) and the BP is dismal at best.  

Need to look ahead a few years and I just hope Dipoto has a plan, because this year is a bust.

Love our Halos, but I see clearly through the "spin fog" some of you guys/gals like to post.

Peace out.

Actually, the payroll doesn't decrease until after 2014 when the Wells and Blantana contracts come off the books.

And that is when two real good and UNDER 30 pitchers are FAs.

Granted Price is much more likely to sign with another team than Kershaw, whose team has unlimited resources to re-sign him with.

But under no circumstances should the Halos sign an over 30 to big money for a longggggg time.

That $120 million starting point does not include what is owed Wells, but it does include what is owed Blanton next year.  But do you want Price?  Look how he's doing now. He lost a couple MPH off his fastball and has a 6.25 ERA.  All these pitchers everyone used to want like Price and Halladay are already becoming albatrosses.  Like Lincecum? Who wants him anymore?  You never know in this game.

That $120 million starting point does not include what is owed Wells, but it does include what is owed Blanton next year.  But do you want Price?  Look how he's doing now. He lost a couple MPH off his fastball and has a 6.25 ERA.  All these pitchers everyone used to want like Price and Halladay are already becoming albatrosses.  Like Lincecum? Who wants him anymore?  You never know in this game.

Signing high priced free agent pitchers is a complete crapshoot.

There are so many cases of pitchers unable to make up losing velocity and control as they older.

Look at pitchers like Halladay, Beckett and Lincecum that are unable to compensate as their fastballs are no longer dominant.

What exactly are we giving up on? I started following the Angels when I knew they would be lucky to win 70 games. Winning is definitely better than losing but either way following a team through a baseball season is something I view as a highlight.

Way to keep the big picture in mind, arch stanton. I often forget that many fans on this board started following the Angels in 2002 or later and have a different standard than us long-timers. The 90s were a total heartbreak era. The 80s were up and down and filled with heartbreak. The 70s....well, I was just a little kid, but they were pretty bad, the same with the 60s. From 1979-86 the Angels made the playoffs three times but other than that their history was a desolate wasteland, until 2002.

Gregori brings up a good point about the uncertainty with big contracts.

Maybe this season is happening for a reason, to scare Arte Moreno into finally running this org the way successful orgs have always been run: put the focus on farm development including a MUCH stronger foreign presence, with STRATEGIC trades and signings to supplement that.

It's how many of the dominant teams have been constructed over the years.

I finally have accepted the need to rebuild, and it won't be a short process.

Arte Moreno, are you capable of embracing this time tested way of building a winning team year after year? It may take 3-4 years to get there, but this current way ain't working for dang sure.

You certainly have the resources to win in the long run. BUT, rarely does a team win year after year by signing a bunch of FAs.

Gregori brings up a good point about the uncertainty with big contracts.

Maybe this season is happening for a reason, to scare Arte Moreno into finally running this org the way successful orgs have always been run: put the focus on farm development including a MUCH stronger foreign presence, with STRATEGIC trades and signings to supplement that.

It's how many of the dominant teams have been constructed over the years.

I finally have accepted the need to rebuild, and it won't be a short process.

Arte Moreno, are you capable of embracing this time tested way of building a winning team year after year? It may take 3-4 years to get there, but this current way ain't working for dang sure.

You certainly have the resources to win in the long run. BUT, rarely does a team win year after year by signing a bunch of FAs.

Rarely does a team win year after year period. 

I didn't allow myself to be duped last year when they righted the ship only to fall short during the month of September, and that was a better team. I sure as hell ain't gonna be duped by by this group. There's nothing wrong with supporting the team, hoping they'll be successful and turn things around, but If people didn't learn their lessons after last season, well, that's on them...  

"Love our Halos, but I see clearly through the "spin fog" some of you guys/gals like to post"

Nah, it's called having the perspective of a baseball fan who has seen some crazy sh!t happen to random teams over the years.  There are lot of fun things left to happen, lots of crazy come-backs, dramatic home-runs, diving catches, etc that I want to watch this team accomplish.  I don't see how you can have fun watching any baseball team if your only criteria for enjoyment is "win or else" because 29 teams are going to be assed-out of a championship again this season so the odds are against you going in.  Right now, there are 130 games left and I really can't imagine going through the 5 stages of grief everytime I turn on a game...it can't be healthy.