• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

$400 million for Bryce Harper? 'Don't sell me short,' he says

Chuck

In theory, it is easy to make an argument that Trout/Harper are $500,000,000 players. If Greinke is worth $35,000,000 a season, Trout/Harper should be worth at least as much. And if the best position players can command contracts through their age 41 or 42 season (Cano, Cabrera, Pujols), it isn't hard to imagine Trout/Harper signing for $35/40 over 13-15 years. That puts them in the $500,000,000 range.

In reality, I am not sure they will be able to command both max years and max dollars per year. I could see either guy getting $400,000,000, but probably not $500,000,000.

12 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

One fluke year and he thinks he's worth that much money. Harper sucks! Couldn't even carry Trout's jock strap. Trout can say that and I would not have a problem at all. Trout's been great since 2012 and deserves a contract that big.

Lol @ "Harper sucks". Also I'm not sure it was a fluke year since he's doing it again this year.

Harper is working on his 2nd great season, everything else has been modestly better than average so far (avg. WAR 2.87 in those other 4 years). Great talent, but I'd be concerned about my organization throwing that much money at him. 

LOL at the Harper butthurt. Folks, get used to it: he's great and he's going to keep on being great, perhaps as good or even better than Trout going forward.

2016 was the fluke - he struggled for whatever reason. But he's back to his 2015 form and showing no signs of falling off. I think he's probably going to be the best hitter in the majors for the next five+ years, possibly the best overall player, or at least roughly equal to Trout. Get over it.

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

LOL at the Harper butthurt. Folks, get used to it: he's great and he's going to keep on being great, perhaps as good or even better than Trout going forward.

2016 was the fluke - he struggled for whatever reason. But he's back to his 2015 form and showing no signs of falling off. I think he's probably going to be the best hitter in the majors for the next five+ years, possibly the best overall player, or at least roughly equal to Trout. Get over it.

No, no, no, and NO!!!

5 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Whoa pump the breaks there. Harper is great but let's see him consistently do what he's doing this year for a few more years before we even consider this a possibility. Trout has been the most consistent player in baseball since 2012. Harper has one amazing year and one amazing month under his belt.

3 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Whoa pump the breaks there. Harper is great but let's see him consistently do what he's doing this year for a few more years before we even consider this a possibility. Trout has been the most consistent player in baseball since 2012. Harper has one amazing year and one amazing month under his belt.

Harper is great...........at being inconsistent. Great players are not inconsistent. To be consider great, you have to be playing at a high level on a consistent basis.

3 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

I totally missed the sarcasm in your post.

...slowing down in my old age.

I actually wasn't being sarcastic about Harper, although definitely about poor Buxton. Harper is the real deal.

@tdawg87, I think what we can say with some degree of certainty is that Harper, at his best, is as good as Trout, maybe even a tad better - at least with the bat. But as you rightly point out, we don't know if he'll be as consistent - he certainly hasn't been so far. I wouldn't be surprised to see him oscillate a bit more.

Regardless, with apologies to Machado, Lindor, Bryant etc, they are the premier talents in the game. Those guys are all great players, true superstars who have a good chance at Hall of Fame careers. But Trout and Harper are generational talents. What I think the Harper Butthurt crowd is going to have to accept, is that Harper is in Trout's company - not with the rest of the gang.

6 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

+1

I'm guessing @Angelsjunky has two bumper stickers on his car. 

"Vote Bernie Sanders" & "Member of the Bryce Harper fan club" stickers on his VW bus.