• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

$400 million for Bryce Harper? 'Don't sell me short,' he says

Chuck

There's no escaping the facts. Harper and Trout are the best players in MLB but it's clear that the Nats have put more talent around Harper than the Angels have around Trout. It has to feel good to be sitting on top with a 7 game lead. Winning is what it's all about. 

IMG_6374.JPG

44 minutes ago, OregonLAA said:

It's going to be so sick when Arte signs Harper and the Angels have the 2 best players in baseball

Yeah sure

1) insert any cheap name

2) Trout

3) Pujols

4) Harper

5) insert any cheap name

6) insert any cheap name

7) insert any cheap name 

8) insert any cheap name

9) Maldonado 

3 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Yeah sure

1) insert any cheap name

2) Trout

3) Pujols

4) Harper

5) insert any cheap name

6) insert any cheap name

7) insert any cheap name 

8) insert any cheap name

9) Maldonado 

You're on glue if you believe Pujols bats in front of Harper 

53 minutes ago, OregonLAA said:

It's going to be so sick when Arte signs Harper and the Angels have the 2 best players in baseball

wait, i thought trout was signing with the phillies and yankees. how will it be possible for us to have both of them?

On 5/13/2017 at 0:35 PM, wopphil said:

In theory, it is easy to make an argument that Trout/Harper are $500,000,000 players. If Greinke is worth $35,000,000 a season, Trout/Harper should be worth at least as much. And if the best position players can command contracts through their age 41 or 42 season (Cano, Cabrera, Pujols), it isn't hard to imagine Trout/Harper signing for $35/40 over 13-15 years. That puts them in the $500,000,000 range.

In reality, I am not sure they will be able to command both max years and max dollars per year. I could see either guy getting $400,000,000, but probably not $500,000,000.

I think Trout equals or breaks $500M.

Stanton, two years ago, signed a 13 year, $325M deal. He has about 27 career total WAR which is about 4 WAR per season. At current free agent $/WAR that's about $30M-$35M per year on the remaining 11 years of his contract. I'm sure there is some age decline built into the number but that puts the contract at about equal value with some level of up or down variance in actual returns.

Trout is a 10 WAR per year player now. As he ages I'm sure he'll decline but there is no reason to believe that Trout isn't putting up at least 3-4 WAR in his age 34-38 years old seasons. All I am trying to say is that on a production for dollars value Mike will be the first to crest $500M and he will deserve it. (Is this where I say 'PERIOD!'? :D )

5 hours ago, CALZONE said:

There's no escaping the facts. Harper and Trout are the best players in MLB but it's clear that the Nats have put more talent around Harper than the Angels have around Trout. It has to feel good to be sitting on top with a 7 game lead. Winning is what it's all about. 

IMG_6374.JPG

As a raider fan, even i have to admit that slogan doesnt really fit....

41 minutes ago, ettin said:

I think Trout equals or breaks $500M.

Stanton, two years ago, signed a 13 year, $325M deal. He has about 27 career total WAR which is about 4 WAR per season. At current free agent $/WAR that's about $30M-$35M per year on the remaining 11 years of his contract. I'm sure there is some age decline built into the number but that puts the contract at about equal value with some level of up or down variance in actual returns.

Trout is a 10 WAR per year player now. As he ages I'm sure he'll decline but there is no reason to believe that Trout isn't putting up at least 3-4 WAR in his age 34-38 years old seasons. All I am trying to say is that on a production for dollars value Mike will be the first to crest $500M and he will deserve it. (Is this where I say 'PERIOD!'? :D )

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it but tying up one player to 25% of your payroll doesn't feel right. I don't see Arte making a offer that big. If it were basketball I would ... baseball depends so much on a 25 man team. 

3 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it but tying up one player to 25% of your payroll doesn't feel right. I don't see Arte making a offer that big. If it were basketball I would ... baseball depends so much on a 25 man team. 

Yeah come to think of it, at $500M is Trout really an Angels option and would Arte do that? 

1 minute ago, Troll Daddy said:

In almost every other circumstance I'd agree with your first sentence it doesn't feel right for pretty much anyone else other than Trout I get that part. Second I didn't suggest Arte would even do that, although he did take a chance on Pujols.

One other really important point to keep in mind is economic inflation. Currently the free agent $/WAR value is about $9M per WAR. It has been going up at about a 10% rate year over year for the last few years. If that trend holds true by the time Mike is 35 years old that free agent $/WAR value will be at about $20M per WAR. This means in Trout's 35 year old season if he produces 3 WAR that will be worth about $60M in actual value from a free agent perspective.

So what I am saying is that $500M is WORTH it for Trout. A 13 year, $500M contract is easily worth it and I never thought I'd ever say that about any player ever. You could even make the argument he's worth more than that but only time will tell the true story. I'm just pointing out that the metrics as we currently use and understand them peg Mike's value on an astronomical scale compared to the rest of baseball. He is a truly unique and special player with an absurd actual value based on that system.

5 minutes ago, ettin said:

In almost every other circumstance I'd agree with your first sentence it doesn't feel right for pretty much anyone else other than Trout I get that part. Second I didn't suggest Arte would even do that, although he did take a chance on Pujols.

One other really important point to keep in mind is economic inflation. Currently the free agent $/WAR value is about $9M per WAR. It has been going up at about a 10% rate year over year for the last few years. If that trend holds true by the time Mike is 35 years old that free agent $/WAR value will be at about $20M per WAR. This means in Trout's 35 year old season if he produces 3 WAR that will be worth about $60M in actual value from a free agent perspective.

So what I am saying is that $500M is WORTH it for Trout. A 13 year, $500M contract is easily worth it and I never thought I'd ever say that about any player ever. You could even make the argument he's worth more than that but only time will tell the true story. I'm just pointing out that the metrics as we currently use and understand them peg Mike's value on an astronomical scale compared to the rest of baseball. He is a truly unique and special player with an absurd actual value based on that system.

Ok, I get your point but you don't need to make that offer now. You have three more years of control after this season. Yes, salaries have been going up but that could easily change. The whole idea to lock him up now is to save money ... rolling the dice on $500M isn't a good business decision imo. Trout would be a idiot if he said no to a offer that big. I'd wait until after the 2018 season at least unless he takes a team friendly offer. 

It's not our money but it's our team. You don't need Trout to win a WS championship but it helps :)

It'd be pretty funny if now, as Harper as showing he is capable of replicating his monster '15 season (which was utterly dominant and awesome, even compared to Trout's norms) Mike Trout went and evolved to his next level and started putting up the exact same line - with better defense, speed, and consistency.

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

It'd be pretty funny if now, as Harper as showing he is capable of replicating his monster '15 season (which was utterly dominant and awesome, even compared to Trout's norms) Mike Trout went and evolved to his next level and started putting up the exact same line - with better defense, speed, and consistency.

I think you're selling Harper a little short on defense and speed. 

19 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

I think you're selling Harper a little short on defense and speed. 

Harper's definitely no slouch on speed and defense, but he's developing more into the Cabrera-esque slugger type hitter, where Trout still has a little more versatility to his game. I know there's more to speed than stolen bases, but Trout's still likely got a couple 25+ SB seasons ahead of him, if not more. Harper hasn't stolen a single base yet this year, and has maxed out with 21 in a season (with 10 CS). I personally think Trout's defense is a tad overrated, especially by us Angels fans, but he's still producing in a more valuable position on the field than Harper. 

Harper's always had Trout 'beat' based on the fact he showed he could hit .340+ with 40-50 HRs and a .450 OBP and a .700 SLG, numbers that Trout was shy of....until this year. Trout's basically matching Harper so far - his OPS+ is even greater - and Trout's by and far proven that he can maintain production more consistently than Harper has. 

Ultimately, I always felt the Harper v. Trout discussion was a little silly because they were two different players. Harper had the dominating, Cabrera/Bonds-esque power and was going to walk so often he'd have an crazy-high, inflated OBP/BA but also be more prone to slumps and the occasional homer happy season with a low average, where Trout was going to be the model of consistency - a steady .300/35/100 with 20 SBs and gold glove defense that rarely slumped - but Trout's looking like a whole new beast so far this year.

I was just originally disagreeing a bit with @wopphil 's post about $400M. I have advocated doing this sooner rather than later in other posts however. Jeter once told Trout that he was really happy he stuck with one team his whole career. I think Trout would like to do the same. I do agree though that Mike can wait if he wants (and it would be to his benefit to see what Harper posts when he gets paid) but I think Trout is not only a different player but a different type of human being. He seems like a kind soul and isn't as swept up with money as other players are.