• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin.com Today: The tragic downfall of Albert Pujols

I believe Arch is on the money here. Pujols wants his legacy intact and his decline will wreck his career stats in terms of the basic batting line. He knows he is in the Hall but wants to hold his head up and not have writers muttering about his skills eroded to the point he was a detriment to a team, regardless of money. So he will hit a couple of milestones and negotiate the buyout. It will be a win/win for everyone.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

I believe Arch is on the money here. Pujols wants his legacy intact and his decline will wreck his career stats in terms of the basic batting line. He knows he is in the Hall but wants to hold his head up and not have writers muttering about his skills eroded to the point he was a detriment to a team, regardless of money. So he will hit a couple of milestones and negotiate the buyout. It will be a win/win for everyone.

Something inside me says that once he's reached 3,000 hits, 2,000 rbis, and 5th place in HRs (65 to pass Mays), that's when he will likely be ready to retire.

After the 2019 season sounds about right.  

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

My message to Arte...

IMG_6284.PNG

1 hour ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

AWESOME!!!!!!    A Bobby Bonilla annuity deal!!!!!!!!

Actually a long term annuity (single premium annuity) deal would be beneficial to the Angels.  They would take a one time lump sum hit funding it initially, but I don't know how that would work with the salary cap.

On 5/9/2017 at 10:24 AM, Angelsfan1984 said:

This contract was paid in hopes of the first 5 years of it he would bring a championship...that's hasn't happened and now the last 5 will be nothing but a burden on the organization. At best hes going to be a .250 hitter with 20 hrs from here on out. Obviously that is not worth 30 mill a season.

In his defense (and i agree), i dont think hes high on the blame pyramid for why we havent won since hes been here. A let down for sure, but our pitching has been brutal both in terms of personel and in bad luck. And somehow we let the offense fall apart sonce he arrived as well.

Yes, his contract and production are horrible value wise, but weve pretty much downgraded at every position sonce he arrived. (Simmons is good). 

1 hour ago, Puget Sound Angel said:

I knew we were in trouble when it took him two years to adjust to American League pitching.

Well it hasn't been easy. You can see how he stays upright and right on top of the ball in St. louis and then started pulling and yanking everything left in Anaheim. 

IMG_6286.GIF

IMG_6287.GIF

1 hour ago, CALZONE said:

Well it hasn't been easy. You can see how he stays upright and right on top of the ball in St. louis and then started pulling and yanking everything left in Anaheim. 

IMG_6286.GIF

IMG_6287.GIF

Really? This doesn't prove anything ... pitch and location are different 

23 hours ago, ettin said:

Two final thoughts: 1 ) When Pujols was signed Dipoto supposedly cited an internal Angels study that showed really great hitters show a general trend of extending their usefulness and careers longer than the average player 

This was one of the reasons I liked the signing. Old players get injured more often, need more time off, lose speed and defensive value. You don't see the power decline or much change in their walk rates. Unfortunately Albert doesn't really fit this. The change from NL to a pitchers park in a pitchers division in the AL has affected him, IMO - that and his ego combined with the rise of the shift.

39 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

This was one of the reasons I liked the signing. Old players get injured more often, need more time off, lose speed and defensive value. You don't see the power decline or much change in their walk rates. Unfortunately Albert doesn't really fit this. The change from NL to a pitchers park in a pitchers division in the AL has affected him, IMO - that and his ego combined with the rise of the shift.

There are six full time DH's right now that have .350+ obp's while Albert has a .286 obp.

DH's Cruz, Dickerson and Holliday each have .900+ ops' while Albert has a .677 ops.

He certainly isn't going to be much of a difference maker with numbers like that. But he's just one of the problems.