• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ryan Braun will gain 10-and-5 rights on May 14

Chuck

"Previous reports indicated that the date was May 24. Either way, he's close to receiving full veto power on trades, which is awarded to players with 10 years of MLB service time and five with the same team. Braun currently has a list of six teams he can be traded to without his permission, but indications are that not much will change once he gains 10-and-5 rights. Braun is reportedly open to a trade on the West Coast and he has spoken about his strong communication with the Brewers' front office. Nothing appears imminent, but chatter about a possible match with the Dodgers figures to continue."

Source: FOX Sports

Since our LF hole keeps getting deeper and deeper, Braun would fill that GINORMOUS hole with series production.

Thing is...

Do we have the talent to acquire a Braun type and how much will it take considering the situation the Brewers are in?

Would Arte trade for a former steroid user?

Braun is slashing .289/.407.667 with 5 HR and 4 SB, coming off a steroid free season which saw him post a .305/.365/.538 line with 30 HR's. 

Honestly, I would trade Calhoun and some other piece for Braun, then stick Maybin and Revere in RF. So far the difference between Maybin and what Calhoun has produced out of the gate isn't far off.

Thoughts?

Yeah, not interested in Braun. We have plenty of 1B/DH coverage for now, and I'm still comfortable with what Revere/Maybin will give us this season. 

Also a few intriguing stopgap FA OFers coming up this offseason; aside from Maybin or Revere returning, Lorenzo Cain, CarGo, Melky Cabrera, Kim, Dyson, Martinez, Granderson, Jay...

7 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Yeah, not interested in Braun. We have plenty of 1B/DH coverage for now, and I'm still comfortable with what Revere/Maybin will give us this season. 

Also a few intriguing stopgap FA OFers coming up this offseason; aside from Maybin or Revere returning, Lorenzo Cain, CarGo, Melky Cabrera, Kim, Dyson, Martinez, Granderson, Jay...

Most of which are younger than Braun, and without the baggage of the past huge suspension.

Trade Kole who is 4 years younger and owed 19M total the next 2 seasons with a 14M option in 2020 for Braun who is owed 56M through 2020 with a 4M buyout in 2021 if his 15M option isn't picked up?  No thanks.  That swap gets us an older player who has been suspended for steroids in his career while being owed more money and it doesn't make the Angels contenders rather it takes away some payroll flexibility in the future.  

Chuck, your stuff is normally good but you're high as hell on something.

You're essentially replacing Calhoun with Braun. Contrary to what you say Maybin and Revere can't sniff Calhoun's jock, 14 games doesn't change that.

Calhoun has a WAR of 4.0, 3.0, and 3.4 the last 3 years. Braun is 1.0, 3.8, and 4.4. Granted Braun has a bigger bat than Calhoun. Calhoun is 29 and under cheap control until 2020 while Braun is 33 and owed 91 million until 2021.

This idea would be catastrophically stupid. That doesn't even take into consideration Calhoun's clubhouse value and Braun's baggage.

10 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Oh holy fuck, I didn't even comprehend the deal Calhoun part of it. Yeah, no way. Brewers would have to include Hader and another top prospect for me to even think about it. Kole I do think is tradeable but only for very specific circumstances and Braun doesn't fit any of them.

Kole is very tradable but I wouldn't do it for Braun. I would trade Kole for 3 solid prospects right now. Keep building from the ground up and stop trying to sell us with this "win now" BS.

Actually... Since they're good in the outfield (they have a ton of OF prospects, 3 of which are in Triple-A) so I doubt they'd need/want Calhoun. 

Oh well, it was just a pipe dream anyhow. 

But yeah, it would be nice to get some actual production from LF one of these years. 

18 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Trading Kole for Braun is about as crazy as a MLB Network fantasy trade I saw; Phillies get Trout, Angels get literally an entire outfield with Odubel Herrera, Dylan Cozens, and Mickey Moniak plus pitchers Jared Eickhoff and Aaron Nola. 

Yep, ask the Fish for their current thoughts on the Cabrera trade from a decade back.

14 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Yep, ask the Fish for their current thoughts on the Cabrera trade from a decade back.

Agreed, it's ridiculous. For both teams.

Of the Trout proposals I've seen, it's actually not the worst though. Herrera is a damn good OF, and Nola and Eickhoff would be something to build from.

But there's still no way I trade Trout, at least not for another couple years.

I've been going on the assumption that Eppler has been frugal, proceeding to stockpile assets to 1) pull the farm out of the gutter and 2) eventually trade for impact arms in the next two off-seasons.  I'd be pretty disappointed to see those assets frittered away on any piece that doesn't push our rotation or bullpen towards elite status.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Trading Kole for Braun is about as crazy as a MLB Network fantasy trade I saw; Phillies get Trout, Angels get literally an entire outfield with Odubel Herrera, Dylan Cozens, and Mickey Moniak plus pitchers Jared Eickhoff and Aaron Nola. 

I saw that yesterday on the MLB Rundown show. We see a lot of "trade Trout" stuff here but the commentator did say that the Angels waited too long to fix the farm around Trout and that his value is very high today but will decrease the longer they wait if they plan to move him.