• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels Notes: Despite slow start to spring, Cameron Maybin's job is safe

Some people have a very short memory. Remember when Daniel Nava slashed .419/.545/.698 last spring and some thought the Angels found a hidden gem?

I would think by now that most people would recognize Spring Training stats as being essentially worthless. There's little to no correlation between Spring Training numbers and regular season numbers. Lets wait until the regular season starts before this topic is brought up, yeah?

On 3/10/2017 at 7:42 PM, WeatherWonk said:

Typical Scioscia. He makes his mind up about a player and sticks with him through thin and thin. 

I've always felt Sosh's biggest weakness is how he uses personnel. He sticks with pitchers and hitter too long, even when they suck.

Yeah, it's early.That may not be the case, here. But I have my eye on him. He's never REALLY gotten over being old-school.

Translation: "I don't care if he's hitting .082 in July, he's starting because he's a crafty veteran. He just needs time to turn it around."

In my opinion, Maybin hasn't done enough in his career to deserve a starting gig handed to him. Conversely, Ben Revere has been too good through this career to discount his performance and put him on the bench.

We're going to have a good LF and very good 4th OF this season.  I just don't know who will fill what role, yet.

17 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

In my opinion, Maybin hasn't done enough in his career to deserve a starting gig handed to him. Conversely, Ben Revere has been too good through this career to discount his performance and put him on the bench.

We're going to have a good LF and very good 4th OF this season.  I just don't know who will fill what role, yet.

Maybin is not even a good outfielder. He has more career errors than assists. That's an incredibly bad stat to own. 

You figure there's around 700 PAs for LF and another 50-60 available in relief of the other OF spots or with Revere getting DH time if Albert plays 1st. That's plenty to go around but it seems silly to distribute them based on the first 20 PAs of spring. I'm willing to bet Maybin doesn't stay hitless all year anymore than Revere bats .500 all year

8 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Maybin - career OPS+ 93, career bWAR 11.3 - 3014 PA.   dWAR of 1.2

Revere - career OPS+ 83, career bWAR 6.1 - 3035 PA.   dWAR of (-2.3)

I'm not even a Maybin fan but.... 

7 hours ago, CALZONE said:

Maybin is not even a good outfielder. He has more career errors than assists. That's an incredibly bad stat to own. 

This is an incredibly outdated way of looking at defense. 

A guy runs 50 yards and has a ball glance off his glove -- he gets dinged with an error.   Next guy runs ten yards, ball falls 30 yards out of reach...  not an error, but in your world the guy with the crap range is the better defender because, no errors?  Maybin's been credited with 482 plays outside of his zone, Revere 427.  Despite having more errors than assists, he's actually had more assists than Revere... Maybin has also started 8 DPs, meaning... he threw out the baserunner after making a catch 8 times..   Revere, 2 -- and yes.. Maybin has a crap arm IMO.   

For his career, Maybin has a positive defensive WAR.   Revere, a negative one.   

On 3/11/2017 at 4:53 PM, Angels_Baseball said:

Some people have a very short memory. Remember when Daniel Nava slashed .419/.545/.698 last spring and some thought the Angels found a hidden gem?

I would think by now that most people would recognize Spring Training stats as being essentially worthless. There's little to no correlation between Spring Training numbers and regular season numbers. Lets wait until the regular season starts before this topic is brought up, yeah?

If he goes 0-4 on Opening Day this place will erupt.

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Maybin - career OPS+ 93, career bWAR 11.3 - 3014 PA.   dWAR of 1.2

Revere - career OPS+ 83, career bWAR 6.1 - 3035 PA.   dWAR of (-2.3)

I'm not even a Maybin fan but.... 

The most basic level, ask yourself who is going to be the better hitter? Sure, Maybin will probably hit a couple more homeruns and a few more doubles. Revere will hit for a higher average and get himself into scoring position just as frequently with his ability to steal. They are both CF transitioning into a different role, and are relatively close in age.

This is a wash. I don't think either of them have earned the right of a guaranteed spot in the lineup. I think they both need to earn that.

23 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

The most basic level, ask yourself who is going to be the better hitter? Sure, Maybin will probably hit a couple more homeruns and a few more doubles. Revere will hit for a higher average and get himself into scoring position just as frequently with his ability to steal. They are both CF transitioning into a different role, and are relatively close in age.

This is a wash. I don't think either of them have earned the right of a guaranteed spot in the lineup. I think they both need to earn that.

I believe Maybin's contract guarantees him more playing time out of the gate. The decision for him to be the starting left fielder was make at the time of the trade ... not based on how he performs in ST. Although, Revere could end up taking his spot down the road or make for a good platoon. 

Maybin is going to get 100 games in left if he's healthy. Minimum.

Revere is going to see time at all three spots, probably getting the 10-15 starts in right field that Calhoun doesn't play, and the 5 or 7 games Trout doesn't play in CF. Both will start a few games as a DH. 

Revere also may play in a lot of games as a pinch hitter or pinch runner.  

17 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Maybin is going to get 100 games in left if he's healthy. Minimum.

Revere is going to see time at all three spots, probably getting the 10-15 starts in right field that Calhoun doesn't play, and the 5 or 7 games Trout doesn't play in CF. Both will start a few games as a DH. 

Revere also may play in a lot of games as a pinch hitter or pinch runner.  

Maybin won't be part of any future plans that involve building around Trout by 2020. Neither will half of the roster we will see on Opening Day. 

Maybin is getting way too much credit as if he is going to be part of some championship run. He'll be long gone before that.

Just now, CALZONE said:

Maybin won't be part of any future plans that involve building around Trout by 2020. Neither will half of the roster you will see on Opening Day. 

Maybin is getting way too much credit as if he is going to be part of some championship run. He'll be long gone before that.

I think he could be resigned for 2018 and 2019 if he has a good year. He's still young.

Brandon Marsh, Jamai Jones, Matt Thaiss are all being groomed for the OF, and they are also looking at free agents I'm sure. The class in 2017 was pretty weak, but in 2018, it's better by a long shot.

I agree that Maybin has been anything but impressive this ST, but I've talked to Tiger fans I know and they are pissed he isn't on the team.  Each one I've talked to has said he is a solid player and that the Angels will be better for having him on the team.

1 hour ago, CALZONE said:

Maybin won't be part of any future plans that involve building around Trout by 2020. Neither will half of the roster we will see on Opening Day. 

Oh yea look at all that credit.  Who exactly is giving him credit?  He's one of our left fielders, nothing more.  Not sure what young stud left fielder we past on this off season either by trade or free agent signing, my guess is none.  It's just another Claude rant based on some nonsense.  If Claude had it his way the Angels would start only Trout, because what's the point of having other players if they aren't going to help win a championship.