• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels Notes: Despite slow start to spring, Cameron Maybin's job is safe

49 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

I agree that Maybin has been anything but impressive this ST, but I've talked to Tiger fans I know and they are pissed he isn't on the team.  Each one I've talked to has said he is a solid player and that the Angels will be better for having him on the team.

I've read on the Detroit fan message board that he's brittle and the Tigers were probably shocked that the Angels took the whole contract and kicked in a prospect. But like I said, he's not the long term answer in LF anyway. It's just another stop over for Maybin.

3 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

The most basic level, ask yourself who is going to be the better hitter? Sure, Maybin will probably hit a couple more homeruns and a few more doubles. Revere will hit for a higher average and get himself into scoring position just as frequently with his ability to steal. They are both CF transitioning into a different role, and are relatively close in age.

This is a wash. I don't think either of them have earned the right of a guaranteed spot in the lineup. I think they both need to earn that.

You're moving the goal posts... 

You said he Maybin hadn't done enough to merit being given the starting job and that Revere had been TOO GOOD to keep from being relegated to the bench -- you offered zero opinion on what to expect from either guy moving forward (a completely different conversation), your entire argument was based on past performance.  Opinions are nice and all that, but the facts showed that Maybin was almost twice as valuable a player in fewer plate appearances.   I've not look at other sites to see if FGs views it more closely but that one comparison was pretty clearly in Maybin's favor.

Your initial statement was at the most basic level completely wrong.   

As to where you're trying to go now...  I'm not a fan of either guy to be honest, and yet I view both as potential upgrades -- which is more of an indictment of what we have had in LF than a ringing endorsement of either.  Revere is a craptastic top of the order bat despite all the talk about him being a lead-off hitter -- he's a speedy guy who hits for an empty an average.  He's Erick Aybar with better wheels.   Maybin is a frustratingly inconsistent talent but he offers more.  Like you, I don't think either guy should be guaranteed the starting spot but there is no denying that to date, Maybin has been the more productive player despite playing in less hitter friendly environments.  History also tells us that Revere is the far more consistent player.   They each have their plus and minuses, I'd argue Revere is more likely to rebound than Maybin is likely to repeat his numbers from last year.

At my most basic, I'd rather see a platoon than either one guy starting to be honest.   

10 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

I've read on the Detroit fan message board that he's brittle and the Tigers were probably shocked that the Angels took the whole contract and kicked in a prospect. But like I said, he's not the long term answer in LF anyway. It's just another stop over for Maybin.

Got a link?  Would love to see the amount of shock involved.

17 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Got a link?  Would love to see the amount of shock involved.

I read it around the time we acquired him. It is what it is. Maybin was a highly touted 1st round pick that never really materialized into a star player. He's an athletic type player with no GG's, All Star games or anything else special on his resume. His overall body of work is ok but this trade reminds me of the trade for Iannetta. He's better than what we had but he's not going change the odds in Vegas.

3 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

I read it around the time we acquired him. It is what it is. 

So it's just you talking?  TY for clearing that up.  

11 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Maybin was a highly touted 1st round pick that never really materialized into a star player. He's an athletic type player with no GG's, All Star games or anything else special on his resume. 

Would he be a better player in your eyes had he been named to an all star game? or been drafted in the 5th round?  What if any impact does it have on the actual transaction?  Would having been an AS or drafted in a different spot make his numbers anything other than what they are?  None of what you're droning on about is really relevant, the Angels didn't trade for a first rounder that's being hyped -- they aren't looking for a franchise cornerstone.. to the best of my knowledge nobody is touting him as anything remotely close to that.   

You are talking up what he isn't and ignoring what he is.  Dude was brought in as a stopgap.  

15 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

His overall body of work is ok but this trade reminds me of the trade for Iannetta. He's better than what we had but he's not going change the odds in Vegas.

If the Angels can get the same 105 OPS+ out of Maybin they got from Iannetta or the 1.5 bWAR they did per year I'm pretty sure they would call it a success.  

I'm not expecting much out of either Maybin or Revere -- if they can play to their career averages I'd be happy.

14 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

So it's just you talking?  TY for clearing that up.  

Would he be a better player in your eyes had he been named to an all star game? or been drafted in the 5th round?  What if any impact does it have on the actual transaction?  Would having been an AS or drafted in a different spot make his numbers anything other than what they are?  None of what you're droning on about is really relevant, the Angels didn't trade for a first rounder that's being hyped -- they aren't looking for a franchise cornerstone.. to the best of my knowledge nobody is touting him as anything remotely close to that.   

You are talking up what he isn't and ignoring what he is.  Dude was brought in as a stopgap.  

If the Angels can get the same 105 OPS+ out of Maybin they got from Iannetta or the 1.5 bWAR they did per year I'm pretty sure they would call it a success.  

I'm not expecting much out of either Maybin or Revere -- if they can play to their career averages I'd be happy.

His job is safe. I got it.

14 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Actually, I was just telling you that you were full of shit.... like always.    

Snark breeds snark...   Don't cry about it later.

Well I better hurry up and get my playoff tickets before it's too late. Where did you say you're sitting again?

18 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Cough cough one playoff appearance in seven years, and then swept.

But your Mr. Scioscia is a Hall of Famer in many minds.

Not my Scioscia, but nice deflection.  If you want to say they should have made the playoffs in 2010-2012 fine, but to blame the last several seasons on him with the roster they've had, well it's kind of stupid.  In 2014 the bats went to sleep.  I'm sure if Mike would have managed harder Trout and Albert would have gotten a hit in the first two games.  Maybe if he sits Josh they win game one, that just means the narrative changes to only one playoff game win in seven years.  

19 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Cough cough one playoff appearance in seven years, and then swept.

But your Mr. Scioscia is a Hall of Famer in many minds.

He is a hall of fame despite you dislike of him.  Compare his resume to other managers in the HOF.  Unless he retires from baseball soon he will have enough wins, a title as a player and a manager,  only two (maybe three I am t of lazy to look it up) losing seasons.  The sad thing is you probably own up your your views when he is inducted and say your a big fan instead.