• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official World Baseball Classic Thread

m0nkey

Man, what a pool this Pool F is! US, PR, Dominicans and Venezuelans. Is it always like this? No wonder the US has never advanced beyond 4th place. There is no easy game. This pool is WAY tougher than all the others. 

BTW, it's kinda weird that players can decide to join these teams, at this point. I ready that Kenley Janssen will be joining the Dutch team. WTF? It's like band-wagoning or something.

1 hour ago, WeatherWonk said:

Man, what a pool this Pool F is! US, PR, Dominicans and Venezuelans. Is it always like this? No wonder the US has never advanced beyond 4th place. There is no easy game. This pool is WAY tougher than all the others. 

BTW, it's kinda weird that players can decide to join these teams, at this point. I ready that Kenley Janssen will be joining the Dutch team. WTF? It's like band-wagoning or something.

Because of the format, and the fact that many of these are ML pitchers, there is a large pool of pitchers that can be added in later rounds. Nobody (ML) wants their star pitchers adding 20-30 WBC innings onto their arms if a team advances to later rounds.

57 minutes ago, HALOS23 said:

Fun game last night. Only 16k fans last night. Approximately 16k the night before for PR/DR. 

WBC, despite its efforts, just isn't mainstream yet. If the US could get to the finals, that could change some things. 

It was bound to drop, compared to Miami and crowds of 37k. San Diego is a lot farther away from PR and the DR than Miami. Mexico missing out has probably cost AT LEAST 16k fans; probably more.

I'm sure some of you must have seen this article on ESPN, regarding the controversial decision to award the tie-breaker to VEN over MX. I cant say the article clears up my confusion over how it was decided, but it's clear that MLB is definitely pulling an ostrich impersonation on it. I didnt know that MX was initially told they were advancing by an arm of the WBC, and then it was reversed. 

I thought the controversial inning against Italy was NOT counted against MX, because MX never got an out and, therefore, it was not considered a defensive inning (which is a ridiculous interpretation of defensive runs given up). Were those runs counted against Mexico? I am confused. So, apparently is WBC and MLB.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18917684/los-angeles-dodgers-adrian-gonzalez-criticizes-world-baseball-classic-organizers-mexico-elimination

3 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

I'm sure some of you must have seen this article on ESPN, regarding the controversial decision to award the tie-breaker to VEN over MX. I cant say the article clears up my confusion over how it was decided, but it's clear that MLB is definitely pulling an ostrich impersonation on it. I didnt know that MX was initially told they were advancing by an arm of the WBC, and then it was reversed. 

I thought the controversial inning against Italy was NOT counted against MX, because MX never got an out and, therefore, it was not considered a defensive inning (which is a ridiculous interpretation of defensive runs given up). Were those runs counted against Mexico? I am confused. So, apparently is WBC and MLB.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18917684/los-angeles-dodgers-adrian-gonzalez-criticizes-world-baseball-classic-organizers-mexico-elimination

The runs were counted against Mexico and they didn't get any credit for the inning.

The problem is the complexity of using defensive runs allowed per inning as a tie breaker. In fact, I didn't realize that the tiebreaker only included the results from head to head games between the tied teams. How do they count runs scored in the 11th inning where baserunners are put on arbitrarily? Team Mexico was told they needed to win by 2, but the truth was, you can't know how many you need to win by without also knowing how many innings the game is going to go. The actual scenario was that they needed to win by 2 if they kept the score under 10. If the score went over 10 then the game needed to go at least 11 innings.