• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

We missed the brothers in Boston, but we got this guy!

Upon further review, I see that the administrator didn't receive any criminal charges.  Not even a misdemeanor!  Yet the student (who owned the gun, and had it legally registered under his name) gets kicked out of school and is looking at a potential felony on his record.  That is insane.  I'm not so much arguing for the kid, or his right to bring a gun to school, as I am pleading for consistency.  Either expel them both, or don't expel either of them. 

Again, there may be contractual (see CBA) or state/federal employment issues that prevent such an action to the administrator. But we don't have any details on that case so it's really hard to tell or compare the two from a legal perspective.

Regardless of whether or not he is tried or convicted of a felony has no bearing on his expulsion.

Per the article: "'I think it's wrong, if an assistant principal can bring a loaded handgun and doesn't get punished? No, unacceptable,' parent Nancy Terry said."

Wait...the assistant principal's gun was loaded!? 

Honestly, forget the stupid municipal code for a second and let's exercise some common sense.  Who is more dangerous, an eighteen year old student with an unloaded gun or a faculty member with a loaded one? 

Because he saw his mistake and was probably calling his mom to figure out how to best correct the situation, he should have simply been disciplined but not suspended or expelled, but also with a strict warning about being highly aware of what he does with his gun at all times.    Maybe some community service geared towards gun storage safety, which is a totally logical consequence of his actions?

Suggesting that logic and reason should be applied to this or any situation is an outrage!  Good heavens man, don't you know there was a gun involved here?!?!

Again, there may be contractual (see CBA) or state/federal employment issues that prevent such an action to the administrator. But we don't have any details on that case so it's really hard to tell or compare the two from a legal perspective.

Regardless of whether or not he is tried or convicted of a felony has no bearing on his expulsion.

Are administrators protected by unions?  Also since the gun was loaded it was illegal.  Sounds more like a cover-up than a union issue.

Are administrators protected by unions?  Also since the gun was loaded it was illegal.  Sounds more like a cover-up than a union issue.

except it wasn't covered up

and the admin may not be protected by the union but most certainly would be protected by state and federal employment laws.

Per the article: "'I think it's wrong, if an assistant principal can bring a loaded handgun and doesn't get punished? No, unacceptable,' parent Nancy Terry said."

Wait...the assistant principal's gun was loaded!? 

Honestly, forget the stupid municipal code for a second and let's exercise some common sense.  Who is more dangerous, an eighteen year old student with an unloaded gun or a faculty member with a loaded one? 

What would be the danger in either instance? Clearly neither of them had any intent to use the guns at school. On the issue of law, if it's illegal to carry an empty shotgun onto school grounds I would assume a loaded hand gun might also be a felony.

What would be the danger in either instance? Clearly neither of them had any intent to use the guns at school. On the issue of law, if it's illegal to carry an empty shotgun onto school grounds I would assume a loaded hand gun might also be a felony.

I agree with you.  So why didn't the assistant principal get charged with a felony?  Why didn't she at least receive a misdemeanor, when the Sheriff's office said explicitly in the article that: "if a school administrator brings a gun to school, they will be charged with a misdemeanor."   

I agree with you.  So why didn't the assistant principal get charged with a felony?  Why didn't she at least receive a misdemeanor, when the Sheriff's office said explicitly in the article that: "if a school administrator brings a gun to school, they will be charged with a misdemeanor."   

It appears that the sheriff's office is explicitly a lying sack of poo. 

It is the sheriff's job to apply the law for arrest. It is the prosecutors job to apply the charges and determine whether or not to prosecute.

Lifetime, you're killing me here.  I know how the criminal justice system works.  I know that there is a difference between school policy and the municipal code.  My point is, if we are to trust the accuracy of this report, and assume that the assistant principal did bring a loaded gun to school, whether it's the responsibility of the school, the sheriffs, or the prosecutors to hold her accountable is irrelevant, because at the end of the day, nobody did hold her accountable.  She received a three day suspension with no criminal charges.  The kid committed, what I feel, was less of an offense, and is probably going to get expelled with a felony on his record.  That's B.S.  He made a huge mistake, and I can understand why some people want him kicked out of school.  But for crying out loud: be consistent.        

Good thing teens are rarely this way then.  I bet if it was a different offense you might feel differently.  I have no problem with a couple of day suspension, but he was trying to make it right.  What kind of message are you sending?  It's not the one you want to send.

I have to agree. The kid realized his mistake and he was trying to get the weapon off school property by having a family member pick it up when his conversation was overheard and school officials pounced. Expulsion and criminal charges are hardly warranted. Discipline, yes, but it should be proportional to the nature of the offense.

The point of that comment was in response you and arch saying the sherriff was lying. And again, the criminal charges and the suspension are completely separate issues. And again there are different ramifications for a student and a faculty member. You may not like that but that's the fact. And as I stated previously, we don't know the facts of the case with the administration or why the da decided not to prosecute. We also don't know if the DA will ultimately press charges for the kid either. Regardless, his expulsion is automatic.

I have to agree. The kid realized his mistake and he was trying to get the weapon off school property by having a family member pick it up when his conversation was overheard and school officials pounced. Expulsion and criminal charges are hardly warranted. Discipline, yes, but it should be proportional to the nature of the offense.

the problem is, there is a zero tolerance policy regarding any weapon brought to campus by a student. Accidental or not expulsion is automatic.

The point of that comment was in response you and arch saying the sherriff was lying. And again, the criminal charges and the suspension are completely separate issues. And again there are different ramifications for a student and a faculty member. You may not like that but that's the fact. And as I stated previously, we don't know the facts of the case with the administration or why the da decided not to prosecute. We also don't know if the DA will ultimately press charges for the kid either. Regardless, his expulsion is automatic.

Fair enough. 

I'm not being consistent?

Where's the inconsistency?

Based on what the sherriff said, yes there are different applicable laws for students vs faculty. But I haven't seen the laws there so I can't confirm that to be accurate.

This is what I've learned from this situation:

1) Never admit to wrong doing until you're caught.

2) If you are caught, be sure you have a government/union job.

I can't wait to pass this fruitful knowledge to my kids.