• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

We missed the brothers in Boston, but we got this guy!

Not really understanding the alcohol question.  There's no alcohol allowed on campus and we're talking about minors so having it in their posession is against the law.  I had a friend in HS who had a very small amount of pot in his backpack that he didn't even know had fallen out of a plastic bag and was left in there.  His GF he broke up with told the school he threatened her, they searched him and found an amount the cops wouldn't even care about back in 1998 and he got kicked out of school.  Did what he have on him pose any threat to anyone else?  No but he broke the law and paid the price for it.   

I think it sucks the kid got expelled but given what's happened going back to Columbine I don't blame the school for handling it the way they did. 

You didn't really answer my question.  What does zero tolerence even mean?   Suspension?  Expulsion?  Arrest?

Zero tolerance is something that all CA schools follow.  Zero tolerance for alcohol, tobacco and weapons.  Meaning that no matter what the situation is if you are caught with these things you are expelled.

Guess what, most guns are "around" minors because many people who have guns have kids.  It was locked up and unloaded.

Nobody got hurt, nobody got anywhere close to hurt, nobody even thought about getting hurt.

Would you feel this way if it was alcohol on campus?  That the kid should be arrested and expelled and have his future at risk for a mistake?

I'm pretty sure we are all against alcohol on school campuses. 

What price did he pay?  See, he was in posession of it illegally because he was a minor.  It's not illegal for a minor to own a shotgun.

Also, chances are he didn't forget he had the alcohol.  It was an error in judgement, not an act of forgetfulness.  Was your friend trying to correct the situation when he was caught like this kid was?

Zero tolerance is something that all CA schools follow.  Zero tolerance for alcohol, tobacco and weapons.  Meaning that no matter what the situation is if you are caught with these things you are expelled.

Most schools have zero tolerence from bullying, but it happens every day anyway. 

This is crazy and it's not going to send the message you want it to, guaranteed.  This kid will now be a martyr and hero.

Most schools have zero tolerence from bullying, but it happens every day anyway. 

This is crazy and it's not going to send the message you want it to, guaranteed.  This kid will now be a martyr and hero.

The bar for being a hero must be set pretty low, if a guy who forgets a gun is his car is considered one. 

Kid - Hey Principle Smith, I wanted you to know that there is a six pack of beer in the back of my car.  I was helping my mom unload the groceries and forgot to get that out.  I know having alcohol on school grounds is illegal so I wanted to do the right thing and tell you right away.  I'm happy to leave school right now and take it back to my house if you'd like.  Or I can call my mom and have her come get it.

Principle - Sorry kid.  Zero tolerance.  You're expelled AND I'm calling the police.  You're going to jail and brought up on felony charges. 

Whether or not the kid committed an expellable offense, can we at least all agree that he should have been treated the same as the faculty member who essentially committed the same offense and received a slap on the wrist?  Everyone is talking about zero tolerance this, and zero tolerance that.  Clearly these rules are not absolute.    

Whether or not the kid committed an expellable offense, can we at least all agree that he should have been treated the same as the faculty member who essentially committed the same offense and received a slap on the wrist?  Everyone is talking about zero tolerance this, and zero tolerance that.  Clearly these rules are not absolute.    

Absolutely agree.

The kid deserves the punishment he received, and the faculty member deserves the same. 

Clearly some of you do not understand what zero tolerance is...

zero tolerance policy imposes automatic punishment for infractions of a stated rule, with the intention of eliminating undesirable conduct.[1][2] Zero-tolerance policies forbid persons in positions of authority from exercising discretion or changing punishments to fit the circumstances subjectively; they are required to impose a pre-determined punishment regardless of individual culpability, extenuating circumstances, or history. This pre-determined punishment need not be severe, but it is always meted out.

What price did he pay?  See, he was in posession of it illegally because he was a minor.  It's not illegal for a minor to own a shotgun.

Also, chances are he didn't forget he had the alcohol.  It was an error in judgement, not an act of forgetfulness.  Was your friend trying to correct the situation when he was caught like this kid was?

it's not illegal for a minor to own a gun, but it is definitely illegal for him to have it on school grounds. The fact that he did it "on accident" or that he was supposedly trying to correct it after the fact doesn't erase that he broke the rules. The same thing would happen to a kid found to have a knife in his backpack, locker, pocket, etc. 

People have lapses in judgement when they drive under the influence too. Even if nothing happens as a result of it, they are still guilty of the crime and are subject to its ramifications. Let's say he gets behind the wheel but later realizes what he's doing or decides to stop for whatever reason, he still already violated the law despite trying to rectify it and would still be subject to punishment for the crime.

as for the teacher, I'm sure there are employment conditions (in their CBA) that determine how a faculty member is treated for such things. But we don't really have the details of the teacher incident either so it's hard to say one way or the other.

Because he saw his mistake and was probably calling his mom to figure out how to best correct the situation, he should have simply been disciplined but not suspended or expelled, but also with a strict warning about being highly aware of what he does with his gun at all times.    Maybe some community service geared towards gun storage safety, which is a totally logical consequence of his actions?

That's precisely what the gun control advocates are hoping to accomplish as well.

Glad we see eye to eye on this issue!

Gun control advocates are myopically viewing guns as the end all be all of deaths in this country.   A kid is killed by a person texting while driving ... meh.  A kid is killed by a gun ... all hands on deck!

Crap, what a group of hardasses.  He was trying to do the right thing.  I made a mistake.  Willfully breaking a rule should be dealt with differently than making a mistake and getting caught in the midst of trying to fix the said mistake.

Minors smoking=illegal

Minors drinking=illegal

minors owning guns=legal

You guys are leaving no room for grace or a second chance.  It's rigid, wooden and graceless.