• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Charter Schools

Adam

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

My wife worked for a charter school for a little over a year. The owner passed away and it ended up in her daughter's control. Every month she would write a $5,000 check to herself and call it miscellaneous expenses. Never once submitted a receipt. 

that's okay to do, right?

So we go to this meeting and after 45 minutes of selling us on uniforms and 8 intelligences and 90 minutes of nightly homework the dude says they have a waiting list of 75 for 11 open spots before they even do the lottery.

The public schools in Mission Viejo are very good but...first kid hitting school...we're exploring all options. A year ago I was dead set on Private school. I don't mind paying for it, but when I learned that I'd have to fund raise all the time I lost any interest. I'm lazy FFS. 

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

First kid.  Private school all the way.

Second kid.  Public school isn't that bad.

Third kid.  Let Juanita the housekeeper decide, she'll be dropping off and picking up the kids anyways.  And teaching them Spanish.

making tamales great again.

*except tamales suck.

I think there are good charter schools mixed in with a lot of bad charter schools.

Oxford seems cool and my son would do really well in that environment, he hates public school and the system. He is a hands on kid that thinks outside of the box, so a program like that would be rad. I whole heartedly believe in experiential education over books and would like him to be in a school like that.

Some charters are literally started by parents through churches and such. The teachers/parents don't need credentials or all that much training. Some are great, some are scary. 

My wife is a public school teacher in Anaheim and there is a big push for charters there. They want to close down public schools and turn them into charters. People go from house to house trying to sell primarily non-English speaking families on the virtues of charters, offering them cash incentives to vote against the public school and for charters, badmouth teachers and administrations, scare the parents into believing that if their kid doesn't go to a charter school they won't succeed. Then when the charter school wins, they decide to only take the top kids from the public schools, bus in kids from other areas, charge prices than the parents can't afford etc. The public school teachers aren't even allowed to talk about their side much less defend themselves. 

I am looking forward to Cez chiming in.

7 minutes ago, Sully151 said:

People go from house to house trying to sell primarily non-English speaking families on the virtues of charters, offering them cash incentives to vote against the public school and for charters, badmouth teachers and administrations, scare the parents into believing that if their kid doesn't go to a charter school they won't succeed.

When you reach an non-English speaking Italian family.  You know they will want more than cash incentives to vote a certain way.  :)

You need to research Charter schools and look at the teachers and they extra curricular's offered.  In Arizona, the big thing is the Basis Charter schools, they preach leading experts who teach subjects....The biology teacher is a former chiropractor.  The have no fine arts programs, no real sports (after school clubs) and parents are not allowed to help in classrooms or be in the school.  So you have to know your child and their interests.

I work at a  Charter School whose focus is on more of a hands on education, lots of "Field Studies" which are basically field trips.  There are some good things, some bad.  The good, the kids get more time to be active, they have actual P.E. everyday, and not what passes for P.E. in the public spectrum.  There's more parent involvement, which is nice.  You get a lot of kids that are legitimately interested in hiking, and history.  There also aren't the bad influences public schools have.  The bad, we tend to get a lot of kids that can't function in a public school setting, and parents send them to charter thinking the end result will be different, when in reality, the adjustments need to be made at home, and the child just is not prepared to succeed at all.  We get a lot of those.  We also get a lot of helicopter parents.  Also since we're a charter, there's a ton of extra time you have to put in.  Duty before school, duty after after school, extra PD days.  

In comparison to the public schools in the area, our scores are pretty average, which given our clientele, says something.  Compared to the private schools, it just depends on which one. 

50% of private schools in the area have such poor teachers that these kids enter high school or college and are totally and utterly unprepared.   In fact they're behind several grade levels.  The other half of the private schools in the area are unmatched in their academic preparedness, and most of their students flourish in a school setting later on.  The biggest correlation I've seen is price and emphasis.  The Christian private schools here that charge a boat load and top of the line academies.  The cheaper ones are worse than public.  The Catholic ones are all expensive, and are all on the low end of the academic scale.  The University specific schools cost way too much, but their kids are college ready by the time their 16. 

10 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

The Catholic ones are all expensive, and are all on the low end of the academic scale

I'm interested to hear what area you're referring to and where you got your information. 

also, what do you consider expensive as opposed to cheap? 

Edited by Lou

That's the problem with schools.  The students who attend and their parents can afford the high end private schools are the ones that will most likely succeed in almost any school setting.  Of course the more expensive private schools are the ones succeeding and have high performance metrics, the students mostly come from highly educated parents and have access to a lot more resources. Schools are a self-perpetrating cycle, poor kids will remain poor, rich kids will remain rich, with a few outliers.    Also agree with the sentiment that the parents expect way too much from schools, it starts at home. 

3 hours ago, aznhockeyguy said:

That's the problem with schools.  The students who attend and their parents can afford the high end private schools are the ones that will most likely succeed in almost any school setting.  Of course the more expensive private schools are the ones succeeding and have high performance metrics, the students mostly come from highly educated parents and have access to a lot more resources. Schools are a self-perpetrating cycle, poor kids will remain poor, rich kids will remain rich, with a few outliers.    Also agree with the sentiment that the parents expect way too much from schools, it starts at home. 

Private schools set higher expectations.