• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Your 2017 HOF Vote

mancini79

If you had to turn in a ballot, who would you vote for? Any player that gets 75% of the vote would make the HOF. This will be the 3rd year and thus far we would have voted in the same players. Not only that, but the % were also very similar. So post below who you would vote on your ballot. (10 players is the max allowed on a ballot). HOF will announce their official results Jan 18th. I will post our results the day before.

Bagwell
Raines (Final year)
Hoffman
Schilling
Clemens
Bonds
Edgar Martinez
Mussina
Lee Smith (Final Year)
Kent
McGriff
Walker
Sheffield
Billy Wagner
Sosa
Ivan Rodriguez
Vlad Guerrero
Manny Ramirez
M Ordonez
E Renteria
Posada
Derek Lee
Varitek
O Cabrera
Freddy Sanchez
Wakefield
Carlos Guillen
JD Drew
Pat Burrell
Art Rhodes

Bonds, Clemens, Raines, Rodriguez, Bagwell, Mussina, Guerrero, Ramirez, Martinez and Walker. 

I'm still torn on Guerrero/Sosa/Schilling. Ideally I'd vote for all of them. But having to narrow it to one, I barely lean Guerrero but I certainly don't object to arguments for the other two.

Raines, Hoffman, Clemens, Bonds, Wagner, Rodriguez, Ramirez

I am thinking that Clemens, Bonds, and Ramirez would have been potential HOF caliber players anyway, even without the PEDs.

Valdy was great, but does he have truly 1st ballot HOF numbers?   It's close, although he doesn't have the 3000+ hits or 500+ HRs.

I can see him just missing out now, and being voted in a year later when fewer guys on that ballot have a chance.

On 1/11/2017 at 5:58 PM, mancini79 said:

If you had to turn in a ballot, who would you vote for? Any player that gets 75% of the vote would make the HOF. This will be the 3rd year and thus far we would have voted in the same players. Not only that, but the % were also very similar. So post below who you would vote on your ballot. (10 players is the max allowed on a ballot). HOF will announce their official results Jan 18th. I will post our results the day before.

Bagwell
Raines (Final year)
Hoffman
Schilling
Clemens
Bonds
Edgar Martinez
Mussina
Lee Smith (Final Year)
Kent
McGriff
Walker
Sheffield
Billy Wagner
Sosa
Ivan Rodriguez
Vlad Guerrero
Manny Ramirez
M Ordonez
E Renteria
Posada
Derek Lee
Varitek
O Cabrera
Freddy Sanchez
Wakefield
Carlos Guillen
JD Drew
Pat Burrell
Art Rhodes

On 1/11/2017 at 5:58 PM, mancini79 said:

Bagwell
Raines (Final year)
Hoffman
Schilling
Clemens
Bonds
Edgar Martinez
Mussina
Lee Smith (Final Year)
Kent
McGriff
Walker
Sheffield
Billy Wagner
Sosa
Ivan Rodriguez
Vlad Guerrero
Manny Ramirez
M Ordonez
E Renteria
Posada
Derek Lee
Varitek
O Cabrera
Freddy Sanchez
Wakefield
Carlos Guillen
JD Drew
Pat Burrell
Art Rhodes

In no particular order.

In no particular order.

1. Bagwell

2. Raines

3. Mussina

4. Vlad

5. Ivan Rodriguez

6. Smitg

7. Schilling

8. Walker

9. Hoffman

10. Wagner

I'm torn about McGriff but I can't take anyone else off for him.

OKAY -- here goes -- somewhat in order -

Sheffield -- I think he's a HOF'er and would be a lock if he wasn't such a pain who wore out his welcome with almost every team he played with. But the guy could play. His early seasons with Milwaukee and San Diego were spectacular.....part of his 'attitude' issue probably wasn't helped by the fact he was the direct recipient of at least two franchises  (San Diego and Florida) that did entire salary dumps of their roster moving the higher paid players out......I always felt Sheffield has pure raw talent who's team hopping (not all his fault) and his attitude prevented him from generating better career numbers and more love from MLB fans.

Schilling -- he joins the bloody sock in the Hall........Schilling was a gamer.

Vlad Guerrero -- I'd like to see him going in as a Halo..........

Ivan Rodriguez -- it's the same old line with me -- if Gary Carter is IN, then Pudge should be IN.  He was the dominant catcher for his era.....haven't checked the stats but seem to be a perennial all star -- 15 times?    He's IN IMO -- but I also would make YADIER MOLINA a first ballot guy when his time comes.

Those are my FOUR -- can name SIX more but I don't think I'd ever list the full ten. 

Next comes the steroid gang -- is it time to let them in???

Roger Clemens -- clearly one of the most dominating pitchers of his era.  How much of that was steroids? Should he be denied?

BARRY BONDS -- IMO Bonds had HOF numbers BEFORE he started in with the steroid nonsense -- which makes is steroid use even harder to understand and frustrating. He is the all time (asterisk please) HR leader. I don't think these guys get in this year but they'll receive more votes and have an upward trend which bodes well for next year..

On the Cusp -- I could vote for NOW -- Trevor Hoffman. Tough to get closers in there.....Is Mariano Rivera in yet? (some of these guys it's hard to tell, wasn't Arthur Rhodes -- who's eligible this year -- warming up the pen for the Angels or one of the other seven or eight teams he played for just last year?)  Not sure if I'd put Hoffman in before Mariano Rivera.

Bagwell -- there will be a push for him - didn't he come close last year --- I don't know, don't think his career numbers get him there. am sure someone will yelp about that.

Edgar Martinez-- DH is part of the game and has been for a while now. Are we ready to let a one dimensional player into the HOF? I don't know.

If you are counting votes - and I know you are -- Count my top four above, Sheffield, Schilling, Guerrero and Ivan Pudge Rodriguez plus the two steroid candidates, Clemens and Bonds.

If folks are voting for Clemens and Bonds, they best be writing in PETE ROSE.

Has Vegas or someone posted some odds/ percentages on who's getting in.  Let's not ask the pollsters who projected the November election results.

I'd vote Bagwell because although I don't think he's really a HOF, he's really, really, close, and he never was caught using Steroids that I am aware of. 

Raines absolutely deserves to be in.

Hoffman is the best closer ever in the NL. 

Clemens won 7 Cy Youngs. He may have used Steroids, but like the next guy on the list, probably was a HOF player before he used them. And bad decisions aside, they technically weren't against the rules until around the first time he retired, and he never tested positive as far as I know.

Bonds is the best hitter ever. While we all know he likely used steroids, he was a first ballot HOF before he got into it (reportedly after the 1998 HR chase by McGwire and Sosa). 

Lee Smith is a maybe for me, like Bagwell, while I never saw the dominance, he certainly had the numbers. There are a lot of guys in the HOF who aren't clearly HOF, just close, and in his era, Smith was among the best relievers. 

Kent is a yes, even if he used Steroids, he wasn't caught doing so. He was offensively the greatest second baseman for arguably the majority of his career. Position counts, and if Biggio is in, so should Kent be.

Pudge is also the best catcher of his generation, and defensively was a whiz behind the dish. He was good offensively too.

Vlad is Vlad, and while he played in obscurity in Montreal the first few years of his career, he was among the most feared hitters in baseball. And he never touched Steroids, so even if his numbers aren't as good as Manny Ramirez, or another OF he deserves to go in.

And Finally, Manny is a HOF. I know David Ortiz will get in, and he will get in first ballot, so the other Red Sox terror deserves it. He was caught using, but his numbers in Cleveland are legit too, and that's before the majority of the Steroid users started ramping up the use. He's a goofball, but I can't see keeping him out.

There is my ten.

On January 11, 2017 at 2:58 PM, mancini79 said:

I believe MLB will announce the official results around 3pm. If anyone gets their vote in before it has been announced, I will include it in our total. So far we would have only voted in 3 players. Raines (90%),  Vlad (90%) and Pudge (80%). Bonds, Bagwell and Clemens are at 60%. Raines made a huge jump in votes looking at where he finished in our results last year. I think he was around 60%. 

Even though Vlad didn't make it to 3,000 hits or 500 HRs, he probably could have had he decided to run out there another two or three seasons. He was still pretty effective in his last two seasons, so it's not like he had to scrap for his last 50 HRs through otherwise terrible campaigns. While I think counting stats and longevity are important, I don't think I could hold it against the guy or his case for the Hall just because he opted to retire perhaps a bit prematurely. And I think regardless of where you stand on steroid-users getting in, Vlad's apparently clean record during that time should give him some added consideration.

20 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

It maybe only makes a difference as far as getting in on the first ballot.    It is impressive that the .318 career BA/449 career HRs has only been done by 5 other players, all 1st ballot guys themselves.

At the latest, Vlad should be in the HOF by 2018. 

Countdown:  5 hours

Yup - he may not be first ballot, but he'll be on within a class or two. It's well deserved. 

Personally I think they may as well include steroid-users at this point, especially guys who were probably clear-cut HOFers had they not used. Does it cast a tarnish on those who are in the HOF who didn't use? Maybe so, but it's not like history will forget this scandal at this point. It's been publicized and debated enough, that I think it will forever be associated with their names regardless. In some ways, I almost see it as a trade-off. They get the HOF recognition, but their name also becomes cemented with steroid scandal, rather than it just being a Wikipedia paragraph kids skim over 100 years from now once the players and all of us are long gone. Don't think it requires a literal 'asterisk' but serves the same purpose.