• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bullpen Arms: A review of the Market

As many others have noted, with the 2nd base hole filled, it appears that the Angels list of "Absolutely have to Fill needs" is down to one: Bullpen arm. As far as I am concerned, we have four options for filling this need:

1. Neftali Feliz

Pros: Young (28 Years Old), Decent track record, blessed with the "Randy Searage" juice, High Velocity (96 MPH), coming off a good year

Con: Results aren't SUPER SPECTACULAR, only good; had some injury and consistency problems in his past

2. Greg Holland

Pros: Was a top-tier reliever before injury, Tommy John Surgery slightly less concerning for a reliever, Looked good in his major workout; Could be relatively cheap

Cons: Coming off a TJ; Recent workout was good... except his Velo was pretty low; may not be as cheap as though because of dearth of options on the market.

3. Brad Ziegler

Pros: Ground ball machine would be in front of the best MIF defense in baseball; could serve in a number of roles; veteran leadership (if you are into that sort of thing), long track record of success, Not a Velocity pitcher, so age isn't *that* much of a concern.

Cons: OOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDD

4. Trade

Pros: Surprising Number of decent trade options; might be the best way to get a cheap and/or long-term answer; 

Cons: Angels don't have much depth to trade from; definitely a sellers market; not sure who is willing to deal late-inning options

My vote: I kind of like any of these free agent options. Holland makes the least sense, probably, since it might take a while for him to find his sea legs, and the Angels are desperate for a quality pitcher. Any trade for a reliever would almost have to be part of a larger deal, since we just don't have much to work with. If the value for Feliz and Ziegler is similar, Feliz runs away with it. However, Ziegler is an interesting option because his skill set fits so well with what should be an excellent fielding club. Since his commitment in terms or years and dollars should be much less than Feliz, I am going to say Ziegler is the way the Angels go. 

Now if we could only get another starter and another bench piece or two....

30 minutes ago, wopphil said:

We need two free agent pen arms and need to cut ties with Morin and Alvarez.

Morin and Alvarez aren't that bad, but yes, I want two more arms. 
Are Morin and Alvarez both out of options? I'd prefer to have guys like Guerra, Alvarez, and Morin shuttling between LAA and SLC all season instead of Achter, Huff, etc.

One of Blevins, Logan, or Howell, and one of Ziegler, Hochevar, Romo, Henderson and I'd be ecstatic.
Cahill, Wood, or even Feldman would be great in a Chavez role too. 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Feliz is probably the best choice.

I don't know why I can't get on board with Feliz. 

He's still really young, throws hard, K's people (10.23 K/9 with Pittsburgh). I do have questions about the HUGE spike in homeruns given up and the amount of hard contact he gave up (career average of Hard Contact % is 28.5%, it went as high as 37% in 2016). The 1.68HR/9 is a bit alarming. But the BABIP's so low, weird year for his strand rate as well. Peripherals didn't like him either. 

Just an off year? I'm not sure, but I'm surprised more teams are chomping at the bit for a 28-year old, hard-throwing reliever. 

9 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Alvarez has been inconsistent but Morin has been bad the last two years...

Both of them have been a little better than their numbers show, and both have been inconsistent. If either were bumped from the pen for FAs I wouldn't be upset in the slightest. Alvarez has been great when used more against lefties and had a great second half. Morin has caught some bad breaks and has been let down by defense some. As depth, I'd think he'd be great bumped all the way to the bottom of the depth chart, used in blowouts, shuttling between AAA whenever a reliever down there gets hot, etc.

5 minutes ago, nikkachez said:

I don't know why I can't get on board with Feliz. 

He's still really young, throws hard, K's people (10.23 K/9 with Pittsburgh). I do have questions about the HUGE spike in homeruns given up and the amount of hard contact he gave up (career average of Hard Contact % is 28.5%, it went as high as 37% in 2016). The 1.68HR/9 is a bit alarming. But the BABIP's so low, weird year for his strand rate as well. Peripherals didn't like him either. 

Just an off year? I'm not sure, but I'm surprised more teams are chomping at the bit for a 28-year old, hard-throwing reliever. 

Yeah I brought it up in another thread. Very leery of Feliz. On a one year deal? Sure, why not. But he's gonna get more years and money than I'm comfortable with. He had some luck last year and was his first time in the NL. Last time he had comparable trends was his rookie season. The AL West in particular is quite familiar with him and he was very mediocre last few seasons. And he has conditioning/makeup issues.