• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign OF Ryan Lamarre, designate Petit

Second Base

I seriously have no idea who this guy is, but he got a major league deal surprisingly. Lamarre hit well in AAA, and could function as a 4th OF, but seems like he's topped out in AA/AAA. Still wondering why we DFA Ortega, yet acquire these guys.

Designating Petit for assignment effectively clears the way for Cliff Pennington to resume his role as the utility infielder, which makes the acquisition of a legitimate second baseman all the more likely.

16 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Plenty of spring invites forthcoming.

Only thing is that this is a Major League signing not a "Hey sign this Minor League deal and we will try you out in Spring!" deal.

Looks like a 4th OF in all aspects. Has a bit of speed. Decent splits. Can play every OF position above average.

Obligatory "the PIECE!"

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

I seriously have no idea who this guy is, but he got a major league deal surprisingly. Lamarre hit well in AAA, and could function as a 4th OF, but seems like he's topped out in AA/AAA. Still wondering why we DFA Ortega, yet acquire these guys.

Designating Petit for assignment effectively clears the way for Cliff Pennington to resume his role as the utility infielder, which makes the acquisition of a legitimate second baseman all the more likely.

Didn't Ortega elect to go FA instead of accept being outrighted?

Sickels actually wrote a rookie report on him. Seems like he's got the overall package of a 4th-5th outfielder. Plus defense and speed, occasional pop.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/6/21/11976564/mlb-rookie-report-ryan-lamarre-of-boston-red-sox

I personally would have preferred they go for a blazer who can't hit that they can use a pinch-runner and defensive replacement.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Sickels actually wrote a rookie report on him. Seems like he's got the overall package of a 4th-5th outfielder. Plus defense and speed, occasional pop.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/6/21/11976564/mlb-rookie-report-ryan-lamarre-of-boston-red-sox

I personally would have preferred they go for a blazer who can't hit that they can use a pinch-runner and defensive replacement.

Let's wait and see if they get that 26th roster spot

I know a little about him, since he played college ball at Michigan. He kind of reminds me of Drew Stubbs in terms of production, though with a little less power and a little more on-base skill. I was excited to see this signing, though I will admit that I am surprised he got a Major League deal. Here's hoping that he really is putting it together, because he's a collection of tools that never really showed them all at the same time until last year in AAA. 

I think we're still going to sign a legit 4th OF option - someone like Pagan, Blanco, Jay, Gutierrez, Davis, Crisp. If we run with a deeper bench or acquire a 2B who also can spell CF in a pinch, someone like Moss could be an option too. I can even envision a scenario where Saunders' market craters, he's without a job late in the offseason, and Cron draws enough trade interest that he can be moved and Saunders/Marte fill a DH/1B/LF platoon role. 

I think the likeliest option is an older vet who hits left-handed or switch, someone like Crisp, who is unlikely to get an everyday OF job. They're waiting out the market to see if a job materializes, and the Angels will be there to offer a bench role when that job offer doesn't come. Someone to offer an insurance policy if Maybin breaks or struggles, and fill a left-handed/speed/defense role on the bench.